Hatari 1.6.0 build OS X question

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v1.7

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Hatari 1.6.0 build OS X question

Postby distantminds » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Hey guys

i must admit the whole process of building software before I can use it is somewhat alien to me, however i'm happy to say somehow i've managed to build 1.6.0 in OS X without any drama :)

i'm a bit confused however. i targeted XCode generator with

cmake -G Xcode

and this generated an Hatari.xcodeproj Xcode project file, which I was able to build successfully, great stuff!

but... in the GUI of Hatari, in particular the sound menu, I have no options for the new sound mixing method selection that i have read of, and seen evidence in dlgsound.c..

so my question is, is this because the Xcode gui is not 'up to date' with the the SDL gui+application, -or- perhaps it's a result of inheriting my old hatari.cfg file from my previous version? I dunno :)

i'd love to get a better understanding of the whole scheme with a view to perhaps contributing more usefully as an os x user of Hatari..

cheers!
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Hatari 1.6.0 build OS X question

Postby npomarede » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Hello
Yes the xcode part is not up to date, so the new option is not available. Unfortunately, there're no coders lately to contribute some code to the OS X version to update the GUI.
Maybe someone will volunteer, in the meantime, you have to use the command line option.

Nicolas
npomarede
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby distantminds » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks Nicolas,

maybe one day i'll be able to offer some help.. if i stare at the IDE long enough perhaps it will begin to make some sense :)

so you mention the command line option.. perhaps a daft question but is there a centralised document of all command line options? Likewise, are the different build options documented anywhere?

Sorry if these are schoolboy questions but i'm much more at home in Devpac than this new world!

greets
damo
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby darwinmac » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Actually, there is a list of command-line options. You will find them in the hatari.1 man file in the doc folder that was created when you extracted the .bz2 file. If you did a "make install", I am guessing it would install the man page in the proper directory so you could simply type "man hatari" and see the formatted man page. However, I did not do this. I simply brought up the man page in a text editor.

According to the man page, the command-line parameter is "--ym-mixing". The different values are: "model" to use the mathematical model, "table" to use a lookup table of audio output voltage values, and "linear" to average the 3 YM voices. The command line would look like "hatari --ym-mixing model" (no quotation marks)

If you put Hatari into full-screen mode in OS X, you can get the SDL preferences menu by pressing fn-F12 (or simply press F12 if you do not have a laptop-type keyboard). If you are running OS X Lion, you will need a patched SDL framework in order to get Hatari to work in full-screen mode. I was able to get it when one of the people here was able to compile it for me and include it in a Hatari 1.5.0 binary.

Once you get the SDL preferences menu (rather than the Xcode version), you'll see the different sound options that were added in 1.6.0.

I wish I had the time to learn enough about Xcode to make the changes to the native Mac interface.

Bob C
darwinmac
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby nativ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:34 pm

If I can help somewhere along the line let me know! :D Just done all the updates on my Mac ( MDD 7450) G4 Dual PPC running 10.4.11 )

cheers / nativ
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby distantminds » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Thank you Bob for that excellent post! it's very much appreciated :D

damo

darwinmac wrote:Actually, there is a list of command-line options. You will find them in the hatari.1 man file in the doc folder that was created when you extracted the .bz2 file. If you did a "make install", I am guessing it would install the man page in the proper directory so you could simply type "man hatari" and see the formatted man page. However, I did not do this. I simply brought up the man page in a text editor.

According to the man page, the command-line parameter is "--ym-mixing". The different values are: "model" to use the mathematical model, "table" to use a lookup table of audio output voltage values, and "linear" to average the 3 YM voices. The command line would look like "hatari --ym-mixing model" (no quotation marks)

If you put Hatari into full-screen mode in OS X, you can get the SDL preferences menu by pressing fn-F12 (or simply press F12 if you do not have a laptop-type keyboard). If you are running OS X Lion, you will need a patched SDL framework in order to get Hatari to work in full-screen mode. I was able to get it when one of the people here was able to compile it for me and include it in a Hatari 1.5.0 binary.

Once you get the SDL preferences menu (rather than the Xcode version), you'll see the different sound options that were added in 1.6.0.

I wish I had the time to learn enough about Xcode to make the changes to the native Mac interface.

Bob C
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby felicemaggie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Can one of you guys here please post a working binary of Hatari 1.6.0 for OSX ?

I'd like to use it here but don't have Xcode installed (am on holiday in the US atm and only have hotel broadband access here, which is not that quick for downloading big files).

I'm using Snow Leopard here, btw.

Cheers,

Rich
Atari Falcon x 3, Atari Mega STe (4mb), Atari STe (1mb), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD.
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :)
felicemaggie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby distantminds » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 am

Rich, I can, but before I would like to ask a question of the hardcore open-source guys :)

Further to what's been said above, I wonder about the use of 'make' and 'make install'..

At the moment I don't use make, I build from within xcode IDE.. So as a result I don't perform a make install either..

Am I right in thinking Xcode leverages 'make' itself? could I do a build in Xcode and then perform a make install within the command line myself?

Another question - is it possible to build hatari and embed all necessary frameworks within the binary, rather than relying on external frameworks for the end user?

thanks for all advice,

Damo
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby darwinmac » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:11 pm

distantminds wrote:Rich, I can, but before I would like to ask a question of the hardcore open-source guys :)

Further to what's been said above, I wonder about the use of 'make' and 'make install'..

At the moment I don't use make, I build from within xcode IDE.. So as a result I don't perform a make install either..

Am I right in thinking Xcode leverages 'make' itself? could I do a build in Xcode and then perform a make install within the command line myself?

I am not a hardcore open-source guy, but I might be able to answer your question.

If you are creating the build from Xcode, that is basically the same as typing "make" from the command line. However, the default Xcode project that I created from CMake was for a debug build. I had to change the settings to release to get a file that was about the same size as what I created outside of Xcode. I am assuming the debug build loads some additional information which can slow down Hatari. Regarding "make install", I would not worry about it much as a Mac user. In my previous Linux experience, "make install" simply copied the file to the proper path so you could simply "hatari" without entering the full path to the executable. It probably also copies the man file to the proper place (probably /usr/local/man) so you can type "man hatari" from the command line to see the man page. I am able to run Hatari just fine without using "make install".

distantminds wrote:Another question - is it possible to build hatari and embed all necessary frameworks within the binary, rather than relying on external frameworks for the end user?

Yes, it is possible to do this since someone did that in the 1.5 OS X build that was linked to here. However, you have to change the Xcode project to do this. From my research, you might have to change the code as well.

I am curious whether you see a Mac or SDL dialog when you exit Hatari. Since the SDL dialog is a grey box with no window buttons, you can tell the difference between that window and every other Hatari window (preferences, etc.)

Bob C
darwinmac

Postby distantminds » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi Bob

many thanks again for taking the time to respond to my posts :)

I'll have to look into embedding and patching of the SDL frameworks. My initial research hasn't exactly filled me with confidence ;)

fyi when I quit Hatari from the OS X menu, the final 'are you sure' type prompt is that of the SDL GUI.. is that what you meant?

greets

damo
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby darwinmac » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 am

Damo,

That is exactly what I meant. I tried to set the ALERT_HOOKS environment variable to 1 in order to get the Mac dialog box. I did this from one of the header files. I do not remember which one right now. However, I received an error stating that certain functions were not defined for x64. I just did not have the time to look into it further.

If you can get the frameworks embedded into Hatari, that would be best for the typical Mac user. It is unfortunate that I have not seen any replies from jvernet. He sent me the original Hatari 1.5 binary that had the SDL framework in the Hatari application bundle. He already created an Xcode project that created a universal binary and compiled the SDL framework.

Bob C
Last edited by darwinmac on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darwinmac

Postby darwinmac » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:12 am

Rich,

I have attempted to compile 1.6 to work with Snow Leopard rather than just with Lion. However, I don't have easy access to a Snow Leopard machine to try it out. I did compile it as a 32-bit binary in case your Mac is not 64-bit. I have also included the SDL framework that was compiled for me in 1.5.0. This has the fix that allows full-screen to work on Lion. You will have to manually copy the SDL.framework folder either to /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks (Frameworks directory in your home directory).

Since you're running Snow Leopard, you can always download the current stable version of SDL from http://www.libsdl.org and it will work fine on your Mac. Because none of us currently have the Mac development experience to update the OS X interface with the new options, you can bring up the SDL preferences screen by pressing fn-control-F12 if Hatari is running in a window. You can simply press fn-F12 if you are in fullscreen mode since Dashboard appears to be disabled when Hatari is fullscreen.

The quit dialog will not look like a native Mac dialog. Unfortunately, I could not get the correct define to work to make this happen for me.

I hope this works for you. Enjoy!

Bob C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darwinmac

Postby Dal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:23 am

Crashed under Lion on my machine. Failed to load the SDL? I am right in thinking I don't need to install the full SDL for this version?

Code: Select all
Process:         Hatari [50060]
Path:            /Applications/Hatari-1/hatari.app/Contents/MacOS/Hatari
Identifier:      com.sourceforge.hatari
Version:         Hatari[en] version 1.6.0a (1.6)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [254]

Date/Time:       2012-01-07 01:22:31.323 +0000
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.2 (11C74)
Report Version:  9
Sleep/Wake UUID: E4E3DB6E-39B5-4591-914C-826D405C19F9

Interval Since Last Report:          594783 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           3
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   2
Anonymous UUID:                      E2B7338B-1DE3-448B-A417-71A5B55DA44A

Crashed Thread:  0

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
  Referenced from: /Applications/Hatari-1/hatari.app/Contents/MacOS/Hatari
  Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
    0x1000 -   0x1a8ff5 +com.sourceforge.hatari (Hatari[en] version 1.6.0a - 1.6) <B5BF0230-5B80-30F6-8316-FC9A450E8BFE> /Applications/Hatari-1/hatari.app/Contents/MacOS/Hatari
0x8fea4000 - 0x8fed69c7  dyld (195.5 - ???) <BCC83F99-7244-3DBA-867D-6226D53DD9F2> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro8,2, BootROM MBP81.0047.B24, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.2 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.69f3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, PCIe, 1024 MB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Built-In, 512 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz, 0x0198, 0x393930353432382D3035312E4130304C4620
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz, 0x0198, 0x393930353432382D3035312E4130304C4620
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0xD6), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.100.98.75.18)
Bluetooth: Version 4.0.1f4, 2 service, 18 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Serial ATA Device: TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF, 750.16 GB
Serial ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-898
USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in), apple_vendor_id, 0x8509, 0xfa200000 / 3
USB Device: hub_device, 0x0424  (SMSC), 0x2513, 0xfa100000 / 2
USB Device: BRCM2070 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0xfa110000 / 5
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, apple_vendor_id, 0x821a, 0xfa113000 / 6
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, apple_vendor_id, 0x0246, 0xfa120000 / 4
USB Device: hub_device, 0x0424  (SMSC), 0x2513, 0xfd100000 / 2
USB Device: IR Receiver, apple_vendor_id, 0x8242, 0xfd110000 / 3
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby darwinmac » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:16 am

Dal,

You do need to copy the SDL framework that I included in the zip file. I was not able to embed the SDL framework into Hatari.app. I know it is possible to do this, but I do not have the Xcode knowledge. If you do not want to use the patched framework I included, you can download a pre-release version of SDL 1.2.15 from this URL: http://www.libsdl.org/tmp/prerelease/SDL/. You need the pre-release version of 1.2.15, because the current version 1.2.14 will crash Hatari if you attempt to use fullscreen mode in Lion.

Based on your error, I am assuming you did not copy the SDL.Framework folder into /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks (your home directory). If you did that, then I am concerned that I built a copy that only works on my machine. I hope that is not the case.

Bob C
darwinmac

Postby Dal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Bob. I misunderstood and assumed that this was just calling SDL from the same directory as the application. :oops: ...well it was late and I was working!

Just to confirm, it does of course work when I copy the /SDL folder to the correct place.

Sorry!
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby nativ » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 am

:lol: I just get a 'no entry' sign! but then I am on a ppc...
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

darwinmac

Postby darwinmac » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:55 pm

Dal wrote:Hi Bob. I misunderstood and assumed that this was just calling SDL from the same directory as the application. :oops: ...well it was late and I was working!

Just to confirm, it does of course work when I copy the /SDL folder to the correct place.

Sorry!

Dal,

I'm glad it's working now. This is why it would be better if I could have embedded SDL into Hatari itself. I just wanted to get an executable out there in case someone did not have Xcode to compile Hatari.

Nativ,

I am sorry. I should have mentioned that I compiled an Intel-only binary. I do not know how to create a Universal binary. Doing some additional research, Xcode 4 only goes back to the 10.6 SDK. I would have to install Xcode 3 in order to try to create a Universal binary.

Bob C
Last edited by darwinmac on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darwinmac

Postby felicemaggie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:49 pm

Many thanks for your work, Bob :)

cheers,

Rich
Atari Falcon x 3, Atari Mega STe (4mb), Atari STe (1mb), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD.
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :)
felicemaggie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby darwinmac » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:16 pm

felicemaggie wrote:Many thanks for your work, Bob :)

cheers,

Rich

Rich,

I'm glad it worked for you.

Bob C
darwinmac

Postby darwinmac » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Since I just could not let this go, I created another binary that has the SDL framework embedded into the Hatari application. Unlike my earlier version, all you have to do is simply copy Hatari to your /Applications directory (or wherever you want to keep it).

Note: this is a 32/64-bit binary according to Xcode. The only possible Mac that would have a problem with it is an Intel Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) or Intel Core Solo. Since I did not compile it as a pure 64-bit binary, I am hopeful this will still work with those older Macs.

Note 2: Just like last time, this is an Intel-only binary.

Bob C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darwinmac

Postby Dal » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:04 am

I think I have a Core Duo Mini kicking around here somewhere - I'll try it on that when I get a sec.
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby darwinmac » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:40 am

On the Hatari development list, I saw this link for a Universal Binary that Andreas Grabher created.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44703754/Hatari%201.6.dmg

I downloaded it and it does work. I do not have a PPC Mac to try it on though. I am hopeful that this increased Mac activity will lead to an actual binary being posted on the Hatari project website.

Bob C
darwinmac

Postby distantminds » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:02 am

Bob,

I don't know if it's beyond the scope of this thread but could you possibly give me some advice on how you managed to embed the Sdl framework within the binary?

Also, out of interest, I are you compiling in Xcode 4 on Lion?

Greets

Damo
distantminds
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby darwinmac » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:36 pm

distantminds wrote:Bob,

I don't know if it's beyond the scope of this thread but could you possibly give me some advice on how you managed to embed the Sdl framework within the binary?

Also, out of interest, I are you compiling in Xcode 4 on Lion?

Greets

Damo

Damo,

Yes, I am compiling using Xcode 4 in Lion. That is why I cannot create a Universal Binary. Xcode 4 only goes back to the 10.6 SDK. From my online searches, here is what I had to do:

1. Add a Copy Files build phase in the Hatari target. You do that by clicking on the 'Add Build Phase' button at the bottom of the window.
2. Drag the SDL.framework folder into the Copy Files build phase. The SDL.Framework currently shows in red because I deleted all copies of the framework to confirm that the binary worked without the SDL framework being on my Mac.
3. In the Build Settings for the Hatari project, you need to add a 'Runpath Search Path' of '@loader_path/../Frameworks' under Release. That is because I set my Hatari project to create a release version since I did not want any extra debug code in the executable I was distributing.
4. Add a Framework Search Path of '@rpath/Frameworks/Versions/A/SDL'.

I am attaching screenshots and my Xcode project to this message. I do not recall the difference between @rpath and @loader_path.

Bob C
darwinmac

Return to Hatari