A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

beastie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Hatari 1.5.0 under GNU/Linux short manual

Postby beastie » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi guys,

Having some spare time between X-mas and New Year's Eve I'm experimenting with emulation on my SuSE 12.1 Linux box. First experiment was to install Hatari 1.5.0 from sources and make simple, fast configuration to enable hard disk drive image usage as well as easy applications and data exchange between host (SuSE box) and guest (emulated Atari with EmuTOS "on board"). This resulted in quite a short manual, which might be useful for these guys, who consider usage of Hatari on GNU/Linux (this guideline will work for almost all GNU/Linux distributions, not only for SuSE, as I was compiling from sources).

Therefore, I'm sharing this simple material. I was rather not interested in gaming, so only demos have been tested - most of them work. You will find it:
http://tinyurl.com/cbeaete

Have fun! :-)

Regards,
Beastie

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Hatari 1.5.0 under GNU/Linux short manual

Postby Hippy Dave » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:26 am

Hi,
I would like to suggest some improvements to the installation procedure.
The web page says:
So, let's go through this short manual. First of all, download the latest version from Hatari download page. Then, go to the directory you've chosen for your installation package and execute the following commands (as a root, of course):

# bunzip2 hatari-1.5.0.tar.bz2
# tar xvf hatari-1.5.0.tar

The only command that should be executed as root is:
# make install
And ONLY if you are certain.

Here is how to safely test Hatari without root privileges:

decide where to install hatari eg, /home/john_doe/hatari.test1
back up /home/john_doe/.hatari if it exists.

First of all, download the latest version from Hatari download page. Then, go to the directory you've chosen for your installation package and execute the following commands.

$ bunzip2 hatari-1.5.0.tar.bz2
$ tar xvf hatari-1.5.0.tar

When it's unpacked and untared, you're ready to start with standard compilation procedure. Change to Hatari sources directory now:

$ cd hatari-1.5.0/

Check you have CMake (cross-platform make) installed on your system, if not, install it, then execute the following, well known for compilation geeks, command:

$ ./configure --prefix=~/hatari.test1
$ make
$ make install

Hatari is now installed into /home/john_doe/hatari.test1

$ /home/john_doe/hatari.test1/bin/hatari
will execute hatari from the command line. You can make a shortcut to this or navigate to this directory and double-click on hatari.

At his point you can delete the hatari-1.5.0 directory.

To Uninstall hatari simply delete the hatari.test1 directory and restore the backed-up .hatari directory (if it was previously there). Hatari makes a .hatari directory for preferences if it doesn't exist.

beastie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby beastie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:39 am

First of all, thank you very much for proof reading and constructive feedback. Your suggestions made the whole manual much better in scope of installation process. However, I decided that your suggestions should be left here on the forum.

The blog article I posted on my website is a kind of record - I've just written down what I was doing step by step during my short session with Hatari on GNU/Linux. I really don't like to waste my time totally, therefore I decided to record all steps and share with others. I hope someone will find it helpful one day and if yes, then all our effort was worth it :-)

I just updated the original a little bit presenting where I used root privileges and when I logout to my standard user account more precisely. My goal was to have fast, successful run with as simple as possible installation and configuration procedure. I'm sure that many additional things can be added also. This thread is a good place to share such ideas.

Regards,
Beastie

novoline
Atari User
Atari User

Postby novoline » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi fellas,
I hope this is the right thread to ask this. I'm trying to get Hatari up and running on a Raspberry Pi running Wheezy. I was able to apt-get cmake and put it on the system, but ./configure gives me a permission denied. I am trying to compile v1.6.2

Thanks
n

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Your user doesn't have execute priviledges for the configure script or it's not marked as executable. You can change permissions either with chmod 777 or from your file manager.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

novoline
Atari User
Atari User

Postby novoline » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Hey that worked perfectly, and everything was compiled. There were a few "not found" messages during the "make" and then after running make install I try running the ex. and I just get a blank screen. I'm wondering if some of this "not found" stuff has to do with it. Perhaps missing libraries? I've put into Wheezy the following: SDL, Cmake, and autoconf (why? just guessing really.) Other than what is default in the latest Wheezy (18-9-12) it's clean.
edit -
Ok after some trial and error I was able to run Hatari (but not yet any ST software) but only in the GUI. When I try to enable MIDI I am told that it can't, but I'm so noob it's gross so anyone have suggestions?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Hippy Dave wrote:$ bunzip2 hatari-1.5.0.tar.bz2
$ tar xvf hatari-1.5.0.tar

It's a bit shorter to do just:

Code: Select all

tar jxvf hatari-1.5.0.tar.bz2

novoline wrote: Ok after some trial and error I was able to run Hatari (but not yet any ST software) but only in the GUI. When I try to enable MIDI I am told that it can't, but I'm so noob it's gross so anyone have suggestions?

[/quote]

Do you have MIDI devices? If not, Hatari's doc/midi-linux.txt text tells how to setup some virtual ones.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”