compiling in VC6

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v1.7

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

compiling in VC6

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 am

Has anybody compiled the project in VC6 without changes?
I get errors in CMake (must point to the SDL), then loads of errors in VC6, Unix include files that don't exist in VC6, etc.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steven Seagal
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: compiling in VC6

Postby npomarede » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Hello

as a portable emulator, Hatari is tested only to compile under gcc, because gcc is portable and available on all platforms, free of charge.
Under Windows, you would need to use the mingw port of gcc http://www.mingw.org/ and install additional mingw packages for zip and sdl.

A few users are compling Hatari under Windows this way without error (I use it also as a cross compiler to build Windows exe from Linux)

Nicolas
npomarede
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Alright maybe I'll do that.
I was under the impression that it should work, because CMake can produce the VC6 config files (dsw...).
Steven Seagal
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby npomarede » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 pm

There're other things apart from config files : the C code in Hatari is unix/linux/posix based regarding system calls ; that's the job of mingw to "translate" those generic systems calls into Windows specific equivalent.

Nicolas
npomarede
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyprian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Steven,
for compiling Hatari under windows you need mingw + msys and cmake and sdl, zlib and libpng library.
Unfortunatelny currently compiling process is not an easy as it was before switching to cmake. E.g. cmakes issue with finding sdl library, Toolchain-mingw32.cmake needs to be modifed (i586-pc-mingw32-gcc change to mingw32-gcc, i586-pc-mingw32-windres to windres) and there is one more makefile which needs to be edited.
TT030 / Falcon030 / Mega STe / 1040 STe / 520 STm / 65 XE / 800XL
CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/
Cyprian
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Otoh it might be the perfect opportunity to come up with a VC6 build environment? I'm pretty sure with some special libs and/or mapping the problematic calls it shoudl be doable.

Think of an integration module, it provides the POSIX or unioxoid APi requested by the functions and internally it executes the native Windows commands.
I don't think there are probelamatic stuffs in there. The sockets can be disabled for a start (until a full APi is avialble).
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org
simonsunnyboy

Postby npomarede » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm not sure it's worth the effort, apart from sockets, you will also have different data types, so lots of work to fix it.

It's like Firefox for Windows, you can't build it with VC6, you need a gcc compatible environment.

Nicolas
npomarede
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Doesn't Hatari use the SDL types already? If not it is certainly time to change that!
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org
simonsunnyboy

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:08 pm

I don't claim it's worth the effort, and I don't want to start anything, but VC6 has a superior IDE, online help and debugger, at least for me. From what I've seen, it would be much work indeed. I downloaded the MinGW compiler and hopefully the right libraries, when I gather the courage I'll try a build of Hatari.
Steven Seagal
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:I don't claim it's worth the effort, and I don't want to start anything, but VC6 has a superior IDE, online help and debugger, at least for me. From what I've seen, it would be much work indeed.

Kenneth Kaufman had contributed VC6 support to an earlier Hatari version (see the code in "Visual.Studio" directory), so it's possible that somebody (with Windows & VC6) could come up with a patch that again makes Hatari compilable with VC6. However, AFAIK VC6 doesn't properly support the "new" C99 standard and gives C++ warnings for valid C code, so it might not be worth the trouble.
Eero Tamminen
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:25 pm

I finally gathered the courage & compiled v1.6 in both Linux & Windows (as mentioned, more complicated) using gcc.
I notice long compile times for C, but maybe it's a bigger project than Steem (C++).
If I want to make that VC6-compatible, it seems I would have to do the same work as minGW, no thanks.
Steven Seagal
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Return to Hatari