Pompey Pirates menus(updated with 1.6.1)

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

nash67
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Pompey Pirates menus(updated with 1.6.1)

Postby nash67 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:27 am

Pompey Pirates cd 38
F-29
cannot move plane
Works in STEEM

Pompey Pirates cd 57
Hardball
cannot move the cursor up or down or use the fire button on the next screen after you choose what is in port 0
Works in STEEM

All the Pompey Pirates Menus are tested and finished
Last edited by nash67 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 am, edited 27 times in total.

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Re: more bugs (mainly Pompey Pirates menus)

Postby thothy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:54 am

nash67 wrote:Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
LOTUS III - THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE
CLOUD KINGDOMS
TIME MACHINE
Robocop 2
Puzznic
doesn't detect the fire button

These games work already in the development version thanks to the other fire button fixes that I did recently.

nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 34
ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE ROBOT MONSTERS
keeps on coming up with the message "insert disk 2 then press space"

This game also works already. It was the FDC "read address" command bug again, that Nicolas fixed recently.

nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 52
fix for pp51
after you insert Pompey Pirates 51 it says fixing AUTO\MENU51.PRG but then keeps coming up with the message Error insert menu 51

I think the problem is here that Hatari does not emulate enough amount of time of an empty floppy drive (the write protection signal changes during that time). Try to eject the disk, continue the emulation for a second or two, then insert the new disk, then it works.

Concerning the other games, I need to have a closer look later...

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:36 pm

thothy wrote:I think the problem is here that Hatari does not emulate enough amount of time of an empty floppy drive (the write protection signal changes during that time). Try to eject the disk, continue the emulation for a second or two, then insert the new disk, then it works.

Quite some many games depend on this. This is one of those issues that doesn't have a simple emulation solution. I remember having a rather long email exchange with Steeem authors about how to handle this.

The obvious problem is that in "real life" it takes a considerable amount of time to change disks. You don't do it instantaneously. You can, of course, simulate this. There are some technical issues, a couple possibly a bit tricky, but this is not the main problem.

The main problem is that the user wouldn't want this as a permanent feature. Most of the time he does want an instantaneous disk change (disregarding how "un-real" it is). And a configuration option is not practical, the user normally won't know when it would be needed.

The initial idea of Steem Authors is that I would just implement some forced smart emulation on Pasti. And Pasti actually support this. But I claimed that would be wrong, it would be inaccurate emulation one way or the other. The user must be aware and somehow "see" that the disk is "in process" of being changed. I even mentioned the idea (admitting it would be too painful to implement) that the user interface could display some kind of animation on the floppy disk icon. But disregarding how much effort it would be needed, that is not practical when working on full-screen and changing disks with some "macro" keys.

Steem Authors actually ended implemented some trickery, that I don't remember exactly what it does (would need to dig those old emails). Anyway, the main point is that this needs a clever interaction between the user interface and the fdc/drive emulation layers.

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:01 pm

ijor wrote:Quite some many games depend on this. This is one of those issues that doesn't have a simple emulation solution. I remember having a rather long email exchange with Steeem authors about how to handle this.

The obvious problem is that in "real life" it takes a considerable amount of time to change disks. You don't do it instantaneously. You can, of course, simulate this. There are some technical issues, a couple possibly a bit tricky, but this is not the main problem.

Well, would it be enough for the emulator to insert the floppy not immediately but just after a second or only a half? I think when the user returns from the GUI after changing disk images, it takes a second until he or she presses space to continue loading, so if the emulator simulated an empty Floppy drive for half of a second, this should not really matter to the user? Or maybe even less than half a second, some few VBLs should be enough!

The initial idea of Steem Authors is that I would just implement some forced smart emulation on Pasti. And Pasti actually support this.

By the way, are you still working on a version of Pasti for Linux? I am still looking forward to it!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:05 am

thothy wrote:Or maybe even less than half a second, some few VBLs should be enough!

I guess that depends on the strange code that is breaking under emulation - obviously some expected minimum delay is hardcoded into the behaviour (so you've got some boring testing/calibration ahead 8O ). I used to switch disks (4, argh) so often with Microprose Grand Prix, and more so with Microprose Golf (course/save/game disks) that I became quite adept at it... but I couldn't exchange disks in less than about 0.3s... plus I always waited for the drive to stop spinning (i.e. floppy LED turns off), which iirc was 2-3 seconds after the last seek/access?
tá'n poc ar buile!

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:26 pm

thothy wrote:Well, would it be enough for the emulator to insert the floppy not immediately but just after a second or only a half? I think when the user returns from the GUI after changing disk images, it takes a second until he or she presses space to continue loading, so if the emulator simulated an empty Floppy drive for half of a second, this should not really matter to the user?

That would kind'a work, it depends on how the user changes disk:

The user might not need to use any GUI, he might use some kind of "macro" key.
Emulation might be stopped or not while changing disk and/or while GUI is active.

I'm not sure how this is now in Hatari, but this doesn't matter too much. Because even if now the user is forced to use somekind of GUI dialog, you might very well implement say, macro keys, in the future.

Further complications are related to debugging and tracing emulation while changing disk, "fast forward" (or whatever you would call it, and loading/saving state. In all these cases the relation between emulation and real time is changed.

By the way, are you still working on a version of Pasti for Linux? I am still looking forward to it!

It is one of my top priorities. Note that this doesn't tell too much about when exactly it would be ready.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:47 pm

nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 44
at the menu press space to bring up the docs
then press alt+q to bring up a screen which is messed up
Works in STEEM

Fixed in current dev version ; the menu called the 68000 'reset' instruction, which should set the resolution back to low res.

Pompey Pirates cd 57
on the menu the scroller down the bottom keeps on flickering
Works in STEEM

Timer B is activated just at the same time as the timer B interrupt happens, which decrements the counter one step too early. Quite hard to fix at the moment.

Pompey Pirates cd 88
menu is all messed up

Top border is removed but video is left in 60 Hz for too long, which alters the video shifter address calculation (same problem as TEX screen in Syntax Terror for example). Definitly on my TODO list, but some measures need to be done on a real ST to support all possible case.

Nicolas

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:07 pm

npomarede wrote:
nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 57
on the menu the scroller down the bottom keeps on flickering
Works in STEEM

Timer B is activated just at the same time as the timer B interrupt happens, which decrements the counter one step too early. Quite hard to fix at the moment.

OK, this case is now handled in the devel version of Hatari. The bottom overscan doesn't flicker anymore.

Nicolas

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Re: more bugs (mainly Pompey Pirates menus)(updated with 1.2.0)

Postby thothy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:39 am

nash67 wrote:Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
bombs out nearly straight away

Just fixed Lotus 2 in the current development version of Hatari. Actually this game has a erroneous start up sequence - it installs an interrupt routine for the IKBD which crashes when called before the start up sequence has been completely finished. E.g. try to continuesly move the mouse while it's loading, and it will also crash on other emulators (and I guess on a real ST, too)...

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:09 pm

npomarede wrote:
nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 88
menu is all messed up

Top border is removed but video is left in 60 Hz for too long, which alters the video shifter address calculation (same problem as TEX screen in Syntax Terror for example). Definitly on my TODO list, but some measures need to be done on a real ST to support all possible case.

Nicolas

This issue, as well as other similar problems related to shifting to 60 Hz for too long, is now handled in Hatari, so next version 1.3 will support this screen.

Nicolas

nash67
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: more bugs (mainly Pompey Pirates menus)(updated with 1.5

Postby nash67 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:51 am

just a couple fixed :(

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Nash - could you confirm which ones are fixed now? :)
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

nash67
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nash67 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:22 am

when they are fixed i just delete them from the first post
there was cd 43 (Flood) and one other one i can't think of right now

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 am

I wonder if it might be better just to edit the post with "fixed in v1.5.0". That way people who do search can find a definitive answer. Tell me to mind my own business if you like ;)
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 pm

nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 38
F-29
cannot move plane
Works in STEEM

Confirmed, is the plane supposed to be moved with the mouse or the joystick ?

Pompey Pirates cd 46
YOLANDA
freezes up on the first stage after a couple of seconds
Works in STEEM

Confirmed too, I need to look in more detail.

Pompey Pirates cd 51
FALCON MISSION II
when it says insert Pompey Pirates cd 23 fixed version and you insert it, it just keeps coming up with the same message
Works in STEEM

Pompey Pirates cd 52
fix for pp51
after you insert Pompey Pirates 51 it says fixing AUTO\MENU51.PRG but then keeps coming up with the message Error insert menu 51
Works in STEEM

Works with next Hatari 1.6, but note that for PP52 when you want to patch PP51, PP51 should not be a zip file, else it's considered to be a read only disk image. You must first unzip PP51 and then you can insert PP51.ST when PP52 asks for it.

Also as Thomas said above, disk detection is not quite ok for now in Hatari, you need to boot with PP51 and when it asks for disk PP23, eject disk PP51, goes back to emulation 1 or 2 sec, the insert PP23 and now disk will be detected.
I will try to improve this for final Hatari 1.6.

Pompey Pirates cd 55
CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL
freezes up after the newspaper
Works in Saint 2.12

This is a bug in the game loader, it reads only 3 sectors per second, which is very sloooww (same under Steem). It works with Hatari 1.4 or 1.5, but you have to wait a long time after the newspaper to load all the data.

Pompey Pirates cd 57
Hardball
cannot move the cursor up or down or use the fire button on the next screen after you choose what is in port 0
Works in STEEM

Yes, if I choose "mouse" in port 0, it goes back to "choose what's in port 0" after I move the mouse.
Steem seems to have problem if you move the mouse too fast, it disappears.
Certainly an IKBD + timings problem

updating list
THE KILLING GAME SHOW
music doesnt sound right at the very begining of the intro, it sounds static (compared to steem)

International Sports Challenge
load diving and the music sounds really bad or gets all messed up (have not tested it with all the events)

What disks are those ? Is it still true ? Hatari 1.5 is supposed to have a really correct sound emulation now.

Nicolas

nash67
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nash67 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Pompey Pirates 078
THE KILLING GAME SHOW
music doesnt sound right at the very begining of the intro, it sounds static (compared to steem)

Pompey Pirates 112
International Sports Challenge
load diving and the music sounds really bad or gets all messed up (have not tested it with all the events)

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:05 pm

npomarede wrote:
nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 51
FALCON MISSION II
when it says insert Pompey Pirates cd 23 fixed version and you insert it, it just keeps coming up with the same message
Works in STEEM

Pompey Pirates cd 52
fix for pp51
Works in STEEM

Works with next Hatari 1.6, but note that for PP52 when you want to patch PP51, PP51 should not be a zip file, else it's considered to be a read only disk image. You must first unzip PP51 and then you can insert PP51.ST when PP52 asks for it.

Also as Thomas said above, disk detection is not quite ok for now in Hatari, you need to boot with PP51 and when it asks for disk PP23, eject disk PP51, goes back to emulation 1 or 2 sec, the insert PP23 and now disk will be detected.
I will try to improve this for final Hatari 1.6.

Hello

I finally added a correct insert/eject emulation that simulates the proper sequence of write protect / write unprotect signals when a disk is changed.
With this change, pp51 is correctly detected when you insert it after booting on pp52.
This will be included in Hatari 1.6, hopefully before end of december 2011.

Note that for Falcon II, the problem is different : it seems the games sees that drive B: is available (Hatari enables both drives) and wants to use it, so you need to insert PP23 into drive B: and press space.

Nicolas

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:21 pm

nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 46
YOLANDA
freezes up on the first stage after a couple of seconds
Works in STEEM

Hello
very hard one to debug, this happens when using 'Fast Boot' in the System settings panel. Uncheck this option and it will work (the game rely on the values stored by the RAM tests !)
It will be fixed in next Hatari to be compatible with FastBoot.

Nicolas

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 pm

npomarede wrote:
nash67 wrote:Pompey Pirates cd 38
F-29
cannot move plane
Works in STEEM

Confirmed, is the plane supposed to be moved with the mouse or the joystick ?

Hello
This version of F29 doesn't work either on my real STF (no joystick during game), so I think this is a cracking problem.
On the other hand, the version cracked by Empire works fine under my STF and under Hatari.

Nicolas

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pompey Pirates menus(updated with 1.6.1)

Postby Dal » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:17 pm

It would be very unlike Alien to bork a crack for a flight sim. This was quite famously his favourite genre of game!

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Pompey Pirates menus(updated with 1.6.1)

Postby npomarede » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Dal wrote:It would be very unlike Alien to bork a crack for a flight sim. This was quite famously his favourite genre of game!

I can't say, maybe the .ST image is wrong and causes this bug, but it doesn't work for sure on my 520 STF (I'm using the Pompey Pirates version from planetemu.net). If you have another version with a different CRC, I can try it.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”