Extended monitor option

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Extended monitor option

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 pm

There's a Steem option I never tried before, "Extended monitor" with various resolutions higher than 640x400.

extended_monitor.png

It seems to crash just moving the mouse in GEM.
Anybody uses it with success? Is this option useful?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Extended monitor option

Postby itaboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:57 pm

It works for me at 1024x768x1 (monochrome)
Using Hisoft Basic2 or Interface 2.30, I had no problems at all

Ciao!

kristjanga
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kristjanga » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:51 am

It did work many years ago when I was trying it out, it would be cool to impliment some extreme resulution, 1024 x 720 16 bit and then some networking as well :)

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 am

I use 1280x960x1 almost exclusively. No issues. But this may be TOS version dependent.

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Alright, it works in STE mode with more RAM.
Has it something to do with video RAM address? Probably.
So instead of removing the feature, I will add 1280x1024 (my current LCD) and 1024x720 if it's useful, not 16bit of course, monochrome and 16 colour.
Or other resolutions if requested, it's easy, Steem authors did all the work.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:31 am

I suggest that you keep all resolutions what are present in Steem 3.2 .
I used them in some cases, and it worked fine. Minimum TOS is 1.04, if I remember correct.
Need to note that GEM supports up to 32768x32768 res. Of course, more video RAM is needed for higher resolutions.
On real Ataris this would be HW overscan - simple solution with switch on DE line. Not so high resolutions, of course.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:There's a Steem option I never tried before, "Extended monitor" with various resolutions higher than 640x400.

Hi Steven, look at this screenshot made with Steem (sized down from 2.3MB to 493KB by saving it as a JPEG), isn't it beautiful!

A0656_001.JPG

It's about time you can have more than 16 midi channels with Cubase in Steem Engine don't you think. Will this ever happen?
I've got a Roland Super MPU64 (usb) hanging on the PC and it is working perfectly but only for 1 output out of 4.
On my Mega STE with 1GB internal harddrive I have the max 128 midi channels available out of 144 midi channels provided by Midex+, SMP24 (both 64 each) and the 16 from Mega STE itself with Cubase Score 2.0 r6 with dongle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:16 am

Cubase 3.7 on Windows 98se....4000 midi channels (if you don't use any audio tracks).

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:31 am

Robber wrote:It's about time you can have more than 16 midi channels with Cubase in Steem Engine don't you think. Will this ever happen?
I've got a Roland Super MPU64 (usb) hanging on the PC and it is working perfectly but only for 1 output out of 4.
On my Mega STE with 1GB internal harddrive I have the max 128 midi channels available out of 144 midi channels provided by Midex+, SMP24 (both 64 each) and the 16 from Mega STE itself with Cubase Score 2.0 r6 with dongle.

If I get it right, Steem emulates the MIDI in and out ports of the ST, which have a 16 channels limit.
For more channels, special hardware should be emulated, such as Midex+, SMP24, not to mention the dongle.
We would then need specs of this hardware.

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:59 am

I can assign the emulated Atari midi port of Steem to any of the midi equipment attached to the PC on which Steem is running.
However, limited to 16 midi channels. To each channel out of 4 with the Roland usb MPU64, to the SB Live midiport (from the joystickport of the Soundblaster audio card), to the internal wavetable, to a second simple in and out usb interface, whatever midi interface is connected to the PC, but always limited to 16 midi channels.

The problem is that the Steem's parallel and the serial port don't show up in the Cubase 'Install.prg' even though there is a choice for midi in the menu.
Any midi setting for those ports won't go anywhere. It is useless anyway because you can't connect a Midex+ (Atari ST cartridge port) or a SMP 24 (Atari ST parallel port) to a PC. You just have to do with whatever is available for PC and that of course is a lot.

So I think it is not a matter of hardware specs from midex+, smp 24 etc. but a driver in Cubase that recognizes the midi protocol of at least these two other ports.
And yes, maybe the same driver that emulates the internal midiports of the Atari.
Even if you adress to the parallel port which has a midi interface like an old Motu Express or similar connected, how can Cubase "see" if there's another midi interface? Hence, is there any other midi sequencer program (Notator?) that can do such a thing? I don't think so.
Perhaps the solution is to have 3* more midi ports in Steem that are just like the Atari midi port, let's say a build in "Midex", with every extra output adressed to a different midi device connected to the PC as mentioned before.

I'm aware that I make it sound easy but I realize that it's probably not and that I misunderstand the whole idea of how to add extra midi channels and how to overcome the problems involved.
And I also know some will say: "Just keep with your Mega STE with the Midex and the SMP and your 128 midi channels" but what I really like is the beautiful BIG SCREEN in Steem. How can I make use of that with my favourite Atari program?

So that can be another option, how can I get 1024 x 768 x 1 from the Mega STE? High Resolution of course and not taking away too much memory and precious processor time?

*) 3 extra ports because the max number of midi channels in Atari Cubase is 64 except for the Cubase Score version 2.0 6r.

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Perhaps this subject about multiple midi ports (visualized on a big screen though) is becoming off topic and requires a new thread. But for the time being:

http://www.blitter.com/~russtopia/MIDI/ ... idibus.htm

stephen22
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stephen22 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:33 pm

The limitation is in the software, not Steem. I use all 3 ports for MIDI in the original Steem v 3.2 and they work perfectly (I write my own sequencing software).

On my real ST (many years ago) I used the serial port for an additonal MIDI out - can't remember where I bought the adapter - you just have to configure the port for 32kbd.

Robber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Robber » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:54 am

Eh, sorry more than a year later

so you have written the software to use with Steem to be able to use more than 1 midi out port.
May I ask if you distribute, sell to, or perhaps will share the sw with us? I and I guess many others would really appriciate that.

Social Media

Return to “Steem”