Page 1 of 1

Operating systems

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:08 pm
by Nikolas
I was try to get os like Mint(had one before), but i havent find one on wiki, maybe more infos is required for operating system.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 pm
by DarkLord
Nikolas/Ego wrote:I was try to get os like Mint(had one before), but i havent find one on wiki, maybe more infos is required for operating system.


Your best bet would probably be to go with EasyMint:

http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/h ... e=easymint

Hope this helps.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:38 am
by Ragstaff
There is this page on the wiki, which has some info about Mint:
wiki/index.php/TOS#Alternatives

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:21 pm
by Nikolas
I got mint 1.2 (1.02?) its ok ΒΈ...

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:37 pm
by joska
DarkLord wrote:
Nikolas/Ego wrote:I was try to get os like Mint(had one before), but i havent find one on wiki, maybe more infos is required for operating system.


Your best bet would probably be to go with EasyMint:


According to his sig he has a 4Mb ST. MiNT - and especially heavier stuff like EasyMiNT - is not recommended on ST's. I'm not even sure if EasyMiNT will work on a ST.

I have used MiNT on an ST in the early nineties. Even then I thought it was slow. I would rather suggest MagiC or Geneva on a ST - Geneva in particular is a cool and lightweight option for multitasking on a ST.

And btw - install LaceScan when using an ST for "serious" stuff. It's free and it's very cool. I remember running at 736x480 (or something very similar) on a plain SM124, the extra pixels made it a lot more usable.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:33 am
by wongck
joska wrote:According to his sig he has a 4Mb ST. MiNT - and especially heavier stuff like EasyMiNT - is not recommended on ST's. I'm not even sure if EasyMiNT will work on a ST.

Easymint will not but another one - Cripple mint will I think.

Easiest is to just got to spare mint web and grab the kernel files archive and un-archive into your sh-204. :lol:
Then setup your AUTO programs so that the correct orde for MINT. just RTFM.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 am
by Nikolas
Operating system for basic st, yes, that what i ask.
Mint 1.02 works ok, it crash abit yes, ill try next oses for my atari st.
If you got any other good info that i may use, your welcome..

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 am
by joska
Nikolas/Ego wrote:Operating system for basic st, yes, that what i ask.
Mint 1.02 works ok, it crash abit yes, ill try next oses for my atari st.
If you got any other good info that i may use, your welcome..


On a plain ST with 4Mb I would recommend MagiC with Teradesk. That will leave you with about 3Mb for running programs, and applications will run at the same speed as under TOS. MiNT is not recommended at all. It can work (I've tried it under STEem at 100% CPU speed, and it was horribly, horribly slow) but will not be usable for anything. Atleast not compared to MagiC.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:49 pm
by wongck
Nikolas/Ego wrote:Mint 1.02 works ok, it crash abit yes, ill try next oses for my atari st.

That version is pretty old, probably Mint 1.14 will fair better.
But Joska is correct, Mint will leave you with < 1MB to play with.
So MagiC is your best bet. When I was using ST, MagiC works very well. :mrgreen:

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:22 pm
by Nikolas
Links plzz for magiC and teradesk so i will dl and install to my ultrasatan device.

I will use xboot to swich wich os i will like to boot.

ty..

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 pm
by wongck
Nikolas/Ego wrote:Links plzz for magiC and teradesk so i will dl and install to my ultrasatan device.

If you're using MagiC, then don't bother with teradesk, as it comes with a nice default desktop.... plain but optimised. :wink:

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:45 pm
by joska
wongck wrote:
Nikolas/Ego wrote:Links plzz for magiC and teradesk so i will dl and install to my ultrasatan device.

If you're using MagiC, then don't bother with teradesk, as it comes with a nice default desktop.... plain but optimised. :wink:


MagxDesk is nice, but it's no match for Teradesk. The only thing it does better is displaying a desktop image, which Teradesk can't.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:24 am
by wongck
Teradesk or MagXdesk?
Just make sure you have sufficient memory for your other apps. :wink:
Can't remember the memory footprint for magxdesk, but teradesk been said to use not too much ram.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:16 pm
by Nikolas
mint 1.02 for st machine, somthing that can run on st..(i dont have "ct60" on top of my 68k cpu :) )

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 pm
by wongck
Nikolas/Ego wrote:mint 1.02 for st machine, somthing that can run on st..(i dont have "ct60" on top of my 68k cpu :) )


It's the ram that you need, really.

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:37 pm
by DarkLord
wongck wrote:
Nikolas/Ego wrote:mint 1.02 for st machine, somthing that can run on st..(i dont have "ct60" on top of my 68k cpu :) )


It's the ram that you need, really.


I agree, RAM is the most needed thing for MINT on a 68k machine, but once you add a
desktop....you really do need some kind of accelerator as well - otherwise the performance
"hit" is noticable. :(

You just don't notice it as much when you're in a shell and text only. :)

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:46 pm
by wongck
DarkLord wrote:I agree, RAM is the most needed thing for MINT on a 68k machine, but once you add a
desktop....you really do need some kind of accelerator as well - otherwise the performance
"hit" is noticable. :(
You just don't notice it as much when you're in a shell and text only. :)


Before I had my Falc & TT, I was using mint 1.15 on the 4MB STFM.
Seems usable with an desktop (mainly editing), but rather use MagiC on it.

For sure it's better on a Falc or TT or accelerator :angel:

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:33 pm
by DarkLord
wongck wrote:Before I had my Falc & TT, I was using mint 1.15 on the 4MB STFM.
Seems usable with an desktop (mainly editing), but rather use MagiC on it.

For sure it's better on a Falc or TT or accelerator :angel:


Just curious - what desktop did you use on your ST with MINT?

Only reason I'm asking is, when I had a stock Falcon, I thought MINT was slow
on it, let alone a stock ST... :(

Re: Operating systems

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 am
by wongck
DarkLord wrote:Only reason I'm asking is, when I had a stock Falcon, I thought MINT was slow
on it, let alone a stock ST... :(


IIRC, it was not the fancy desktop like Jinnee, Ease or Thing.
Because these takes memory from the 4MB.
Mostly I was using default GEM desktop on the STFM & Falc (4MB) with Mint.
And yes, it is slow but bearable. NVDI helps with screen updates :wink:

When I had 14MB on my Falc, I tried Jinnee Ease and Thing.
I think I ended up with Thing v1.0 or something like that.
And that's on 16MHz. Not too bad, usable.

Then there was a gap of 3-4 years (twice) before I pick up again :mrgreen: