Everything write-protected?

In this forum you'll find more information about the Pasti & VAPI Tools and the Preservation Project built around these tools. Come on in to find out more about it and discuss these projects.

Moderators: Mug UK, ijor, Moderator Team

WayneKerr
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Everything write-protected?

Postby WayneKerr » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:11 am

Hi,

Probably a simple error on my part, but... I installed the PASTI dll (0.2h) with Steem 3.2, in order to check out a few copy-protected games...
The problem is, whenever Pasti is enabled, any/all disk images inserted (including new blank disk images, inserted into either drive A or B doesn't matter) are permanently treated as write-protected. I've double+triple-checked that the disk image isn't read-only, that there are no stupid windows file permissions causing problems... I can't see anything in the Pasti configuration that changes this behaviour. Of course I understand it treats .STX images as read-only, but is there a way to change it to that I can write data to a newly formatted blank disk, while having pasti enabled?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:53 pm

That shouldn't happen, you should be able to write to disk images. You can even write to Pasti (STX) images if you want, but in this case the changes are not permanent (they are lost in eject).

But how exactly are you testing if the image is write protected? There are a few things that won't work and you might get a write protected error. (i.e., if you want to format a disk with a mixed geometry). Otherwise writing to disk images should be the same as with Pasti disabled.

Download the debug build of Steem and enable Pasti logging. You should get a logged message whenever you mount an image. The log message specifies if the image was mounted read-only or not. See the "(RO)" word appended in the first case:

Code: Select all

Unprotected disk Loaded. Drive A:, sides: 2, sectors: 9, tracks: 82 (RO)
Unprotected disk Loaded. Drive A:, sides: 2, sectors: 9, tracks: 82

The log messages are available in the Debug build of Steem only. You need to enable Pasti logging in two places. One in Steem's debugger windows menu (Log->Pasti). And two in the Pasti Configuration Dialog (available at Steem's disk manager).

If you get the "(RO)" message it means Pasti can't open the disk image as read/write for whatever reasons.

WayneKerr
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby WayneKerr » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply ijor... from my logging I get:

PASTI: Drive A: Disk ejected
PASTI: Drive A: Protected Disk Loaded (RO)
PASTI: Drive A: disk chg delay start.
PASTI: Drive A: disk chg delay ended.
PASTI: Unprotected disk Loaded. Drive B:, sides: 2, sectors: 9, tracks: 80
PASTI: Drive B: disk chg delay start.
PASTI: Drive B: disk chg delay ended.

This is with a PASTI image of Puzznic (c) Ocean (copylock protected game, from aitpast) in drive A, and a newly created blank disk image in drive B.
Any attempt to load/save sectors using Fcopy fails, any attempt to save out an easyrider disasm to a file on drive B fails (app-specific errors asking me to remove write-protection on disk in drive B).
If I don't have a PASTI image in any drive, the blank disk is write-enabled and everything works, but if I have ever had a copy-protected image in either drive since a cold reset, no writing is possible to the blank with any app it seems :(

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:19 pm

What you are trying to do should work without problems. Many people do similar things: Copying from a Pasti disk to an ST/MSA image. Use a debugger to load from a Pasti image and save data/disasm/sectors to a second disk, etc.

Any attempt to load/save sectors using Fcopy fails, any attempt to save out an easyrider disasm to a file on drive B fails (app-specific errors asking me to remove write-protection on disk in drive B).

Could you please post full detailed logs. Go to the Pasti Configuration Dialog. Select the Options pane, and set Log Level to "Debug". While you are there, check that "Fake Write Protect" is unchecked.

If the log becomes too big, please attach a zipped file.

WayneKerr wrote:If I don't have a PASTI image in any drive, the blank disk is write-enabled and everything works, but if I have ever had a copy-protected image in either drive since a cold reset, no writing is possible to the blank with any app it seems :(

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense unless you found some unkown bug in Steem and/or Pasti. Do you mean it works with Pasti enabled as long as you never insert a Pasti image?

WayneKerr
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby WayneKerr » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:57 pm

The problem seems to be resolved (any 9 sector/track normal blank disks created under Steem are unusable for me it seems) - as soon as I create a "non-standard" 10sector/track DS disk image, I can disasm to it, save sectors to it and generally do whatever I like with it. Thanks for the responses, sorry to waste your time!

Social Media

Return to “Pasti & VAPI”