Stonish.net - Atari ST Menu disks (Euroswap, FOFT, SFX...)

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

MagikGimp
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

A little treat

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Unbeknownst to me, I've been sitting for years on four menus that aren't on the site. To be honest it's been a case of being put off by unreliable 30 year old hardware, a lack of work-space and the knowledge that it takes a fair amount of time to go through all those boxes of disks we've all hoarded over the years. And indeed, these four disks have taken hours of relearning the particular quirks of 80s computers, floppy disks in particular. The (frustrating) memories came back to me instantly. Anyway enough whittering, here's the link to the disk images:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgiBgnGD5x1T7hXguBquBoZrPRMZ

1. ELITE #3 (very similar in appearance to some of Empire's menus)
  2. G-FORCE #50
  3. HOTLINE #15 (the list of games seems wrong)
  4. MR SHEEN #1
All menus except one are in MSA format as that seems to be the preferred format on the site. I don't know why that is the case over ST. The lone ST image is Mr Sheen (Dean someone) menu 1- a new 'group'! :o I have no idea if Dean made any more menus after this one but it's a pretty simple affair with other people's work thrown together under a particularly obnoxious raster on a 84 track disk. And what a pain that was. The disk is partially unreadable when using Floppy Image and copying it to another disk on a real ST so I had to make a new image by copying files in batches. Now, does 0-84 in the various copiers I used mean 84 or 85 tracks?? 84 is how it asks you to copy it. The last few tracks are the problem ones anyway.
Speaking of what a pain in the arse this all was- while the Hotline disk (the best of the bunch) gave me very little trouble at all, the others gave me many a night of headaches. One or two had been copied with F-Copy Pro which means that can't be read on a PC and that was just the start of it. I still haven't tested them fully myself and I know for sure that the G-Force one has some problems. That's why I included the directory extractions. I mean there's 50 games and more on that one (sorry Brume!)
I have three ST(E)s. One 520 STFM, one 2MB STE and one 4MB STE with some dodgy innards and ports that need cleaning. I used this one predominantly because of all that RAM and its v1.62 TOS. But even that threw me because when I emulate some of the stuff some of it only seems to work on such a config and files seemed to be having meta information unique to that computer attached to them (???). I say that because other setups seemed to have trouble reading things but I feel quite confused with the whole thing now so I unfortunately I don't know where I am with it all exactly. :shrug: I will just say that I really tried to keep things as tidy and accurate as I possibly could with my limited knowledge and tetchy resources. What is the best way to do this anyway?!? Perhaps you can add some tips to the FAQ Brume. Cheers friend; I hope you find these useful (and not too much of a pain to test!)
P.S. I want to check the Out of Order menu I submitted yonks ago at some point just to be sure I got it right first time. I think it's OK but I'll double check.
Last edited by MagikGimp on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Stonish.net - Atari ST Menu disks (Euroswap, FOFT, SFX...)

Postby Desty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 am

Nicely done! I too would like to know what the latest "best practices" way to do this is :D
tá'n poc ar buile!

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello MagikGimp
Thank you very much for these dumps :D
I really appreciate your effort. Here are some results:

- I've Mr Sheen #1 and the whole content seem to work.
- I've started to check each game on G-Force #50 (and have added the missing titles to Atari Legend). I need to continue. Thanks for it, too! Very cool menu :)
- Hotline #15 has a corrupted game. Cloud Kingdoms seems to crash. Since it's packed with Propack 1.0 (we don't have the original version of this tool), I'm unable to repair it at the moment. May i ask you a favour? Can you test Cloud Kingdoms with your original disk on your 520 STFM? Maybe the main PRG was corrupted while the process, I don't know.
- Elite #3 was already in my collection, I've forgotten to upload Elite's disks on the site. Will do asap.

Thanks again for all! You made my day!

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:48 pm

No problem at all; very happy to help. :)
I'm going through my other disks to see if I've missed anything else now. So far- a large game for STEs called "The Poker Machine" and a disk that sounds like it's gone rusty over the many years... Will keep you all posted!
As for the Hotline disk- I'll hopefully be able to have a look tomorrow. I never did get around to trying that game before making the image, sorry.
That G-Force menu is a real mess. And I don't mean from my work this time! If you read the scroller, I get the impression that most of the group didn't even want it to be released. I reckon the guy who made it just bunged a bunch of PD stuff on there to round out the numbers to 50. The menu doesn't even seem to load on anything below TOS 1.04 for a start (even though the rest of the disk's contents is mostly fairly simple stuff) but then I was finding that some of the that software wouldn't run on higher TOS versions! I had to extract it to a virtual HDD and try it sepearetely. This was by emulation mind you. Some of it isn't in English either. Would they require foreign language TOS? I feel sorry for you, I truly do, that you will have to test all 50!
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:36 am

Unfortunately I can confirm that Cloud Kingdoms freezes on my 520. Is there another disk this crack is on to replace the affected files? Is Propack a big problem for everyone then?

I could also have sworn I had this happen to me below on IK+ the other week but today it played absolutely fine. A dodgy read of the disk perhaps? Might have been another disk entirely but I had no idea this screen even existed!

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi again Brume. I need your expert advice. Is it worth running a disk checker on the disks I have that have bad sectors and which progy do you recommend if so? I've found one on a disk but is there one in particular that is trusted to work? Don't want to completely lose anything of course. Thanks!

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 pm

matt wrote:I created the PP site whilst at University[...]

Just read this so I owe you an apology for more of my assumptions Matt! Doesn't hurt to bump this thread too while I'm at it... ;D

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”