'safari' menu disks ?

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: Mug UK, bodkinz, Moderator Team

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

'safari' menu disks ?

Postby spiny » Sat May 12, 2007 3:16 pm

just going through the hundreds of unsorted disks I have and have found 'safari menu 11' (ceaser, super seymour, stuntcar racer, safari boot) which is a name i've not seen before, any one got any info?

I'm imaging the disk as we speak :)

The Byte
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby The Byte » Sat May 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Great :) please Upload.... 8O

EDIT: THANXXXXXXXXX :D
Last edited by The Byte on Sun May 13, 2007 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat May 12, 2007 3:31 pm

here you go, the menu graphics appear corrupted in steem, but it's fine on a real STe

imaged using floimg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Sat May 12, 2007 4:08 pm

Many thanks for the upload...

Don't recall seeing this disk before, I think only something like 1-5 are available off the top of my head...

Hope you have more nice stuff hiding away :)
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sat May 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Safari were a small group (3/4) of mates with Atari ST's in Preston Lancashire UK.

All self taught coders / artists.

I went to school with them.

They changed their nicks several times through the releases. Starting off with animal names (Gazelle, Rhino etc.)

Panther (aka Vimto) was the main man behind them but they all did a bit.

I always wanted to help out but as I couldnt code, do gfx and I didnt have an Atari ST :)

They were friends with members of Adrenalin UK (Namely Mookie).

I have some of their other menus if you want em, but as has already been said, just the 1-5 which are available elsewhere.

I think they have long since stopped caring about Atari stuff.
Last edited by alexh on Sun May 13, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat May 12, 2007 11:07 pm

alexh wrote:Safari were a small group (3/4) of mates with Atari ST's in Preston Lancashire UK.

All self taught coders / artists.

I went to school with them.

They changed their nicks several times through the releases. Starting off with animal names (Gazelle, Rhino etc.)

Vimto was the main man behind them but they all did a bit.

I always wanted to help out but as I couldnt code, do gfx and I didnt have an Atari ST :)

They were friends with members of Adrenalin UK (Namely Mookie).

I have some of their other menus if you want em, but as has already been said, just the 1-5 which are available elsewhere.

I think they have long since stopped caring about Atari stuff.

cool, so did they do the trick of releasing menus with high number to make them look popular (like I did :D ) or are there just five available?

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sun May 13, 2007 9:08 am

I honestly dont know... I dont think so.

If this is disk 11 then I guess there were at least 11 compact disks.

Zanziba
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Zanziba » Sun May 13, 2007 10:43 am

This is Gazelle from the Safari group, only discs 1 - 5 were made and they were never changed to a higher number. I think I have them somewhere but number 5 is corrupt as I remember.

Zanziba
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Zanziba » Sun May 13, 2007 10:53 am

Okay, I have uploaded them for you, I do not have number 3.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI1.MSA
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI2.MSA
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI4.MSA
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI5.MSA

Enjoy, Oh and get in touch if you find number 3, ahhh, nostalgia... lol

Zanziba (Gazelle)

The Byte
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby The Byte » Sun May 13, 2007 11:05 am

Zanziba wrote:This is Gazelle from the Safari group, only discs 1 - 5 were made and they were never changed to a higher number. I think I have them somewhere but number 5 is corrupt as I remember.

Here is a Rereleased SAFARI CD 5 (with Repaired Intro).....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sun May 13, 2007 11:42 am

Zanziba wrote:This is Gazelle from the Safari group, only discs 1 - 5 were made and they were never changed to a higher number. I think I have them somewhere but number 5 is corrupt as I remember.

That number 11 disk is real, just read the scroll text it's definately by Panther (after he'd changed his nick to Vimto) and Rhino (after he'd changed his nick to Rogue).

I am sure that it was me who sent you those 1,2,4 & 5 disk images.

I think they were on the PaCiDemo website and were originally converted from floppy disks by Brume I think.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sun May 13, 2007 11:52 am

Damn brings back memories....

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sun May 13, 2007 2:03 pm

cheers for the other disks :)

I will keep looking for the others :)

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sun May 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Christ! More people from Preston! It's starting to feel like the centre of the universe... :?
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

motiv
Atarian
Atarian

Re: 'safari' menu disks ?

Postby motiv » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:10 pm

spiny wrote:just going through the hundreds of unsorted disks I have and have found 'safari menu 11' (ceaser, super seymour, stuntcar racer, safari boot) which is a name i've not seen before, any one got any info?

Sorry for dragging this thread up, from the depths of zombie land!

I was the lead menu coder for safari, went by the name panther/vimto/motiv. We we're a small group consisting of a few friends from around preston.

our menus got to around 18 before we finished, most if not all of the menus done by myself.

from about menu 7 (my memory fails me), we had a dedicated cracker called 'the jolly roger', who cracked pretty much a game a disk for us. he later did some stuff for PP once we effectively folded.

the majority of menus we're simple scrollers but later on, once my 'talents' improved we were doing raster scrolling, overscans (horizontal and vertical), and the usal starfields/3D.

Other than this, I was also in Adrenalin UK and knew MSD of POV.

I also met mr MUGUK at the great british coding party, now that was a long long time ago.

Still, it' a bit of Atari history for me, which I thought I would share. It's funny what a simple google search gets you too!!

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 pm

motiv wrote:
spiny wrote:just going through the hundreds of unsorted disks I have and have found 'safari menu 11' (ceaser, super seymour, stuntcar racer, safari boot) which is a name i've not seen before, any one got any info?

I also met mr MUGUK at the great british coding party, now that was a long long time ago.

I was there too :) have you seen the video that was filmed there ? it's comedy gold

http://www.scene.org/dir.php?dir=%2Fpar ... 92%2Fmisc/

I look so young :D

motiv
Atarian
Atarian

Postby motiv » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 pm

how incredibly..er..retro :D

I managed a head shot near the start...I've still got hair, how weird to see myself.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Welcome aboard motiv. Name kind of rings a bell, but that video is from '92 so forgive me if the little grey cells have melted in the following 18 years :)

It's scary how 'bling' I was back then .. bad 'hair metal' hair, gold chain etc. Scary how fashion can be dated ... especially the W.A.S.P. t-shirt in the group section of that video :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

motiv
Atarian
Atarian

Postby motiv » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Mug UK wrote:Welcome aboard motiv. Name kind of rings a bell, but that video is from '92 so forgive me if the little grey cells have melted in the following 18 years :)

It's scary how 'bling' I was back then .. bad 'hair metal' hair, gold chain etc. Scary how fashion can be dated ... especially the W.A.S.P. t-shirt in the group section of that video :)

tell me about it, I can barely remember anything from last week. MSD of POV drove us up, and introduced me to Carter USM and faith no more, I was a gressy haired indie fan back then. It was like a baptism of fire!

If I remember correctly, I was pretty much behind you while there, wondering what the hell I was doing. Still, whenever I recall the tale to anyone, I was always the best coder, most famous; the party was also the height of UK talent.

I will refrain from showing them the video in case my myth is busted :D

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 am

:D

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby atari_mark » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 am

motiv wrote:
tell me about it, I can barely remember anything from last week. MSD of POV drove us up, and introduced me to Carter USM and faith no more, I was a gressy haired indie fan back then. It was like a baptism of fire!

Hi Motiv, That was a long time ago. I saw myself on the video, I am famous for about 5 seconds. I remember leaving the party early because I had a really bad headache. Also remember writing a large bob routine and spent hours writing a code gen routine with someone from Fingerbobs that saved me about 3 scan lines of CPU but was crazy complex, the routine went into the menu for POV125.
Mac Sys Data/Persistence Of Vision

Instructions said to install Windows 2000 or better so I installed Fedora.

motiv
Atarian
Atarian

Postby motiv » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 pm

atari_mark wrote:Hi Motiv, That was a long time ago. I saw myself on the video, I am famous for about 5 seconds. I remember leaving the party early because I had a really bad headache. Also remember writing a large bob routine and spent hours writing a code gen routine with someone from Fingerbobs that saved me about 3 scan lines of CPU but was crazy complex, the routine went into the menu for POV125.

Well there's a face from the past. Hello bud!

What a weird event it was for me. I was just on my journey of coding really. Had put together a see through scroller and sine wave/water screen for the demo competition, which on seeing the others at the event; I realise how low down the pecking order I was :)

I remember you lot and ADR picking me up from my house, scaring the hell out of me with your weird music and manimals look. Got to the event and basically owned on midi-maze :D

Was good seeing you ADR lot after all the chats, and was good to see some of the more vocal UK ST community at the event.

All a bit of a blur now, I think Alcohol really does kill brain cells :D

motiv
Atarian
Atarian

Re:

Postby motiv » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Zanziba wrote:Okay, I have uploaded them for you, I do not have number 3.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI1.MSA
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI2.MSA
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI4.MSA
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/painting/Saf ... AFARI5.MSA

Enjoy, Oh and get in touch if you find number 3, ahhh, nostalgia... lol

Zanziba (Gazelle)

Ste i take it!

I wish I had all my menus and discs now. The reason I found this website was when my 'cheap as poo' discs I found last week, all were non-recoverable :(

did a google search and eventually got here. Pity the only one now obtainable was such a low number, hopefully I can find an ADR menu I did (if I did!). Sad really thinking that the effort (lol effort) I oput in now has vanished into the tip on those cheap arsed disks :D

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:47 pm

You could try to use the retry feature of Floimg to multi-read the disk to retrieve the data? (doesn't work with USB floppy drives)

http://ppera.07x.net/atari/floimgd.php

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Re:

Postby alexh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:50 pm

motiv wrote:hopefully I can find an ADR menu I did (if I did!)

Mookie sent me his disk collection in 2000 and I imaged all the disks. I just quickly knocked up a webpage with thumbnails so you can grab 'em

http://thalion.atari.org/ADR/adr.html

I cannot host for long so they'll be there until the end of the week.

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”