Collected 3500 ST disks today

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:09 am

No worries on 699 .. I'll undelete the files if possible and let you know when back from work/pub quiz tonight.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:15 am

ijor wrote:
karlm wrote:ijor - Pasti doesn't work on the Falcon, I know this, but out of curiosity, is this to do with a different floppy controller in the Falcon as opposed to the ST?

It is not the FDC, it is the faster CPU. Pasti performs some precise timing using pure software timers.

hmm... might try with turning the Falcon into a ST - 8mhz, caches off, etc. Hopefully the extra instructions won't complain. Will try and let you know.

karlm

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:41 am

karlm wrote:hmm... might try with turning the Falcon into a ST - 8mhz, caches off, etc. Hopefully the extra instructions won't complain. Will try and let you know.

karlm

I'm not sure that would work since the Falcon has a 68030 instead of a 68000 even with the cache off and the reduced clock speed I seem to recall that some instructions still take different numbers of clock cycles due to optimisations in the CPU core. I would think that a MegaSTE on the other hand would run identically to an ST at 8MHz with cache off.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:30 am

It does .. I ran a small program to switch the CPU speed down to 8Mhz and the cache off and 8/10 it would do a PASTI image of a game without any problems.

A few game would require a few attempts though.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:38 am

unseenmenace wrote:I would think that a MegaSTE on the other hand would run identically to an ST at 8MHz with cache off.

This works perfectly. I've done about 250 images with my Mega STE.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:01 am

unseenmenace wrote:
karlm wrote:hmm... might try with turning the Falcon into a ST - 8mhz, caches off, etc. Hopefully the extra instructions won't complain. Will try and let you know.

karlm

I'm not sure that would work since the Falcon has a 68030 instead of a 68000 ...

That's correct, it probably won't work. The 68030 timing is very different.

I really must apologize to all the Falcon users. When I designed the imaging tool I didn't anticipate somebody would really want to use it with a Falcon. It was all my fault. I was rather new at the scene at the time, and didn't realize about the Falcon popularity (I never had one).

May be I will attempt to fix it some day, but there are quite some many other things related to Pasti that currently have much higher priority.

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:15 am

No need to apologise mate, you've made a wonderful tool as it stands. Of course it would be nice if it worked on Falcons and TT's as well but you've got to draw the line somewhere or you'd spend half your life getting changes to the code tested on CT60's or clones :) .
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

sniperstorm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sniperstorm » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 am

You know I wondered. I Have about at this time 3 gigs of Atari software just like Rich. It is either in ARC, LZH or MSA format I can share and its on my PC now. But is it still ILLEGAL to share the copywirghted stuff?
SysOp: The St Guild BBS

telnet://stguild-bbs.dyndns.org

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:33 pm

Technically, yes it probably is.

On the flip-side I've been offering stuff like that for download from my web site for nearly a decade now, and not once has any company ever challenged this. So I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. It's a lot less illegal now than it was when you actually ran the BBS ;)

sniperstorm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sniperstorm » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:35 pm

I still run the BBS LOL its down for a few days but I still run it.

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Another load of disks found :)

Postby rich » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi all,

Creating a new message for this, but will keep it in this thread.

I was up in the loft the other day, getting some Christmas decorations down, and I found a load of Atari stuff that I collected years ago and never really did anything with.

There were boxes and boxes of games including some quite rare ones (Terrestrial Encounter, Insector Hecti, Countdown to Doom), and some neat things like a brand new, never opened copy of Enchanted Land (still in shrink wrap). Some photos are attached. As you can see I collected every Psygnosis game I could get my hands on :)

But the best part was ...

While up there I found a large package full of disks that had never been opened! I remember buying it off ebay a few years ago and then it moved house with us and I forgot all about it. So I grabbed it down and cracked it open and I've found another 350 disks of ST software :)

It's mostly PD stuff, but some nice rare ones at that. Loads of the Bob Kell Dolly Mixture PD packs, various demos, games and some menu disks too (a number of Dream Weavers menus, Radical Bandits, Impact and Golden Dawn).

Anyway I'll have a dig through them soon and start uploading. The disks look to be in quite good condition (no surface defects) so have been stored well thankfully. I'll let you all know what I uncover.

Cheers,

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Re: Another load of disks found :)

Postby Brume » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:05 pm

rich wrote:It's mostly PD stuff, but some nice rare ones at that. Loads of the Bob Kell Dolly Mixture PD packs, various demos, games and some menu disks too (a number of Dream Weavers menus, Radical Bandits, Impact and Golden Dawn).

Oh my god!!!
Another batch of menus disks in the pipeline? Dam, when xmas will end this year? :thumbs:
Would love to get DW disks since the collection is nearly completed now!
rich, do you know if the disks are Impact UK CD or Impact CD (from France)?

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:07 pm

I would say Impact UK almost certainly, sorry :)

(of course I'm still not finished with the first load yet, but I have done all the rare stuff I reckon)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:20 pm

Looks a lot like my loft. Spent a good year buying ST collections and single games off eBay that I remember. One of these days (ha!) I will get around to scanning in a load more for GamebaseST. Probably when I move house :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:06 am

those originals need to be pastified ^^ !!!

Z-out for example, side arms ^^, and all the others.

For my very own sake, i just can't wait to get the enchanted lands pasti !!!!

PLEASEEEEE ^^ :D
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Dew-It
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dew-It » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 am

Saw some nice Psygnosis <--- is that correct games he has. Blood Money Baal and others. Very Nice. Merry Christmas fellow Atari Enthusists! :D

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:14 pm

Dew-It wrote:Saw some nice Psygnosis <--- is that correct games he has. Blood Money Baal and others. Very Nice. Merry Christmas fellow Atari Enthusists! :D

There were a few Psygnosis ones there, but Baal was Psyclapse. (I think it may have been an eariler or offshoot incarnation of Psygnosis though..)
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:31 pm

Psyclapse was Psynogsis' budget label.

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:48 pm

muguk wrote:Psyclapse was Psynogsis' budget label.

Psyclapse was an offshoot label of Psygnosis that was home to games such as 'Stryx', 'Ballistix' etc. It was not a budget label though Muggy as both these games retailed at £19.95!!

Incidentally, the label that Psygnosis used to rerelease games at budget prices was called 'Sizzlers'.

WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby WillieSea » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:02 pm

I am guessing that not all the games in the picture are for the Atari ST???

:arrow: Daggerfall! If it is, I would sure be interested as I have not seen it anywhere for the Atari.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:42 pm

X3peri_MENTaL wrote:
muguk wrote:Psyclapse was Psynogsis' budget label.

Psyclapse was an offshoot label of Psygnosis that was home to games such as 'Stryx', 'Ballistix' etc. It was not a budget label though Muggy as both these games retailed at £19.95!!

Incidentally, the label that Psygnosis used to rerelease games at budget prices was called 'Sizzlers'.

Ah right .. I've got Anarchy in a Sizzlers box now if I remember. Thought they were a different firm re-releasing old Pygnosis titles.

Memory going slowly but surely :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:50 am

Just one question pal, is Obitus atari ST 2 disks ?

I ask because i own myself the game, is it really 2 disks ?

thanks for checking ^^ !
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:03 am

Wow, great haul(s)! Some nice screenshots there too (I love the Dodgysoft "Mad Scrote Inc" name :lol:)

Interesting to see that "Minix on the Atari ST" book by Tanenbaum - I've got his much later book on modern operating systems and it's pretty decent. Good to remember how powerful the Atari ST family hardware was relative to IBM compatibles at the time.
tá'n poc ar buile!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:04 am

ps: Happy new year everybody :)
tá'n poc ar buile!

sniperstorm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sniperstorm » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:39 am

Any Updates on this? have more been converted?

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”