Oids - any cracks other than Was Not Was's

Game requests go here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

Oids - any cracks other than Was Not Was's

Postby Pugsy » Thu May 04, 2006 9:41 pm

Has anybody got an original pasti image or any other cracks of this game apart from the Was Not Was crack that can also be found on Automation 097. I find it hard to believe that such a classic just had the one crack ever done for it and nobody ever did any trained cracks. I did make a trainer for the original many moons ago for things like lives & shields/invincibility but I've long since lost that trainer & source :cry:

A crack with a scrolling galaxy selector addon would have been perfect, but it seems Oids was forgotten/under appreciated at the time.
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com

MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
Pugsy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Goldrunner » Thu May 04, 2006 10:23 pm

The only other cracked version I have seen is on the Lemmings menu disks which was cracked by Pele. It is attached to save you hunting it down:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby RetroGamerUK » Thu May 04, 2006 10:23 pm

There sure are more Cracks than just the Auto.....
Supergau 092 , 688 , 882 , 928.
Vectronix 017
D-Bug 134B

Those are the only ones I can locate immediately..
You can prob get them all from planetemu.net

Damnit! flippin Goldy beat me to the mark!! :evil:

:)
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Goldrunner » Thu May 04, 2006 10:28 pm

The one on the Vectronix menu doesn't seem to work, for me anyway. The ones on the Super GAU menus are all the same Was Not Was crack.

There are no single disk cracks of Oids listed on http://www.planetemu.net except for the Was Not Was version again :!:
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Thu May 04, 2006 10:34 pm

RetroGamerUK wrote:Damnit! flippin Goldy beat me to the mark!! :evil:

:P
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby RetroGamerUK » Thu May 04, 2006 10:34 pm

Well if there is not a trained version then I would also be surprised given the popularity of the game...
If you do find one, or get bored of the standard levels there are 8 extra galaxy disks in GBST!
(beat you to that one eh Gold?? :P )

Wait a minute, I am sure I played a trained version years ago....... but it only gave you infinite ships as I recall, not invincibility.....
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Goldrunner » Thu May 04, 2006 10:38 pm

RetroGamerUK wrote:Well if there is not a trained version then I would also be surprised given the popularity of the game...
If you do find one, or get bored of the standard levels there are 8 extra galaxy disks in GBST!
(beat you to that one eh Gold?? :P )

Well stick your head in the ground my old friend because it was Pugsy who did those eight galaxy disks for GamebaseST :P
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby RetroGamerUK » Thu May 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Shame he had the 8 extra galaxy disks and not the original game then, as I cannot find a PASTI image of it on any of the 1 place I know of.....
Last edited by RetroGamerUK on Thu May 04, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Goldrunner » Thu May 04, 2006 10:48 pm

RetroGamerUK wrote:Wait a minute, I am sure I played a trained version years ago....... but it only gave you infinite ships as I recall, not invincibility.....

So there is another one floating around somewhere in the darkness of space with thrusters firmly attached :!:
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby RetroGamerUK » Thu May 04, 2006 10:50 pm

If, by space, you mean my mind, and by thrusters you mean my imagination then probably, yes. :roll:
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Goldrunner » Thu May 04, 2006 10:57 pm

Retro, I trust your memory recall without question and bow to you infinite wisdom :) My memory on the other hand has more holes than a Tetley teabag :roll:
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Pugsy » Thu May 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Cheers for that, nice to see there's at least one other working version out there. My original of Oids disappeared many moons ago, I think I must have borrowed it someone and never chased it..DOH

All the Oids galaxies disks I based on the Was Not Was crack, just searched the net for all the oids levels I could find deleted the numerous dupes and then just stuck as many levels as it would display on each disc - the galaxies are actually small enough to fit all the galaxies with Oids on a single disc with bags of space left that's why a scrolling level selector would have been nice..

The Oids code was a pain to trace through as I recall it was written in compiled C like Defender of the Crown which meant it was a right b**ger to train...so really don't fancy doing it again if I could help it not till I investigate a decent method of using PC tools to find cheats on Steem rather than just converting my old cheats into trainers.

Pugsy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Oids - any cracks other than Was Not Was's

Postby Goldrunner » Thu May 04, 2006 11:25 pm

Pugsy wrote:A crack with a scrolling galaxy selector addon would have been perfect, but it seems Oids was forgotten/under appreciated at the time.

Yep, having all the galaxies on a single disk with a scrolling selector would be the ultimate addition for this classic game :!: But a trained version of Oids would be almost as good however :D
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 05, 2006 8:12 am

So a PASTI off an original of Oids would be appreciated then .... ;-)
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Goldrunner » Fri May 05, 2006 11:14 am

Hi Muggy

A pasti image would be just perfect but unfortunately I can’t locate one, do I sense someone who can however :)
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 05, 2006 11:19 am

Possibly :)

Will stick it down on a piece of paper to remind myself when I get in.
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 05, 2006 7:39 pm

Attempt #1 didn't seem to work at all .. need to check my original disk to make sure it works as the Pasti image showed no files at all :(

Hopefully my original disk isn't dead ....

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pugsy » Fri May 05, 2006 8:00 pm

Sounds like the Oids protection was the same that Dungeon Master used, so apparently a bit of a stinker - I can appreciate that as making trainers for compiled C was a stinker. So it would appear that there were few cracks for Oids not because it was an old game but rather it was too hard for most crackers...obviously Was (Not Was) was upto to the job, just a pity trainers weren't his forte.

http://dmweb.free.fr/FFCopyProtection.htm

Pugsy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 05, 2006 11:02 pm

Here's the PASTI image off my original.

However, it won't get past a certain point as it requires the write-protect to be off but this isn't possible under PASTI emulation.

I've no idea if it will work past this point somehow but it's just gone midnight and I'm up early in the morning!!

Hopefully someone can do a 'clean' crack of this game from this image.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby RetroGamerUK » Fri May 05, 2006 11:31 pm

Works fine for me :)
Firstly I unzipped the .stx file then made it READ ONLY in windows.
Then I ran it in Steem and was indeed asked to remove or enable the write protect, so I did just that in the disk manager and the game loaded fully!
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Mug UK » Sat May 06, 2006 7:24 am

OK .. was late (for me) and half-asleep.

At least this one works .. the first attempt I did was 100K shorter via PASTI and was an empty disc.

Got a few others to do tomorrow (time and car-boot permitting) ...

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat May 06, 2006 8:10 am

Hmm, the high score table in this Oids seems to be corrupt, there is all jibberish where names should be, I suggest clearing it before adding to GBST :wink:

See you in a few hours Mike :)
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Pugsy » Sat May 06, 2006 10:02 am

Cheers for that Mike, might even have a go at making a clean crack myself which will probably be beyond me as the only protection I've ever removed was the manual password protection on Battlehawks 1942 (which I did in the late 80s out of boredom but never spread it). I always found making cheats more rewarding.

Pugsy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Goldrunner » Sat May 06, 2006 12:23 pm

Cheers for the pasti Muggy :D

Pugsy, if you manage to make a clean crack with trainer of the game then I will very happily add it to GamebaseST :D
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Mug UK » Sat May 06, 2006 2:26 pm

Shouldn't be too hard to compare the bytes in the files off the original with Was Not Was's version :)

If anything, it could do with being able to run off h/drive to count as a 100% release these days.

Being as it's all standard $3f loading (if memory serves) then having a h/drive version in GBST with all the galaxies in one nice folder will be an extra special version.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Games - Requests