What to do *BEFORE* requesting!

Game requests go here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

What to do *BEFORE* requesting!

Postby Gryzor » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:36 am

Since ST Detective was released a while ago I thought I'd grasp the chance and lay down a couple of rules you should follow before requesting a game. This is not because we're rude or we don't want to help you or anything, it's to cut down on noise posts and help you find what you need faster and more easily.

So, before hitting that "New Topic" button, make sure that:

You searched this forum in particular and all the fora in general for the specific title

You downloaded ST Detective, looked into it and then looked for the menu in the appropriate sites mentioned throughout this forum.

That way you may not even have to make a request and thus save yourself and others some time, while ST Detective will help you asking for a specific menu, thus making it easier for people to help you.

Cheers
Gryzor[/url][/list]
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby RetroGamerUK » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:01 pm

So if I find topics regarding say, a game I am looking for, but nobody has located / posted the game, what then, do I start a fresh topic with same request or give up? (assuming this ST detective also failed of course).
Also, if I have personally requested a game in a previous topic, and have not as yet recieved any replies leading to successful acqusition of the game, do I then delete my original request and then start a new one? or give up? (same assumptions as above).

BTW, sorry but I did'nt search forum for answers to this request before requesting, please don't shout @ me! :oops:

Cheers
Last edited by RetroGamerUK on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby bodkinz » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:31 pm

I totally understand what RetroGamerUK is saying... sometimes i don;t search the forum .... sorry for being so thick ;) no offence ment :)

bodkinz
someone post something, i'm bored :)
bodkinz

Postby Gryzor » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:47 am

Well, I don't see how those questions contradict my guidelines, but anyhow, the solution would be to just add a reply in the specific thread in order to bump it up...

Cheers
Gryzor
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:20 pm

Of course, how obvious, so replying with say "I would also like this game has anyone got it please" would shift the thread to the top of the pile, meaning more people would read it which would theoretically increase the chances of recieving a useful reply (unlike this one), as very few people read through old posts as a matter of routine, reading instead, new posts on the top page.

Me now understand :)

Cheers
Last edited by RetroGamerUK on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby thenodfather » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:00 pm

Umm, the St Detective link didn't work for me.
Is this device to help find certain topics for your quicker, (like "Search" on yer P.C.), so you don't have to thrawl through all the pages to get what you want?

If so, that would be great :D

Cheers.
I can't believe I signed up so long ago and have been here so little :( I must become a more active member.......
thenodfather
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:24 pm

link updated
Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:26 pm

ah yes here is the link to the website also http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/dis ... ective.htm
Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sun May 28, 2006 9:41 am

lol - errmmmmmm
Last edited by RetroGamerUK on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Mug UK » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:15 pm

Font mustn't be big enough RG - maybe make it flash like a neon light? :)

Maybe then they might do the legwork themselves :)
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Goldrunner » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Yep, Planetemu.net virtually has everything thanks to the tireless work of Keili. If you cannot find single disk versions then the chances are you will find it on a menu. Check out the database built into Steem to find which menu a game appears on, or use the Atari ST Disk Detective http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/dis ... ective.htm if you would like a cool seperate tool to aid the search for games.
Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:58 pm

Well I'm glad someone noticed it :)
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby zeropolis79 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:55 am

I want to play games on my actual ST - with the death of my desktop machine, my laptop is now my work machine and a lot of the space is taken up with work files taking up hundreds of megs each..

Is it alright to make a request which involves asking if I can have it put onto disc - I'd make the transfers myself but I don't have a floppy drive - as long as I provided the discs and return postage?

BTW - Gryzor - u sure get around.. No wonder you were intrested in the idea of a GTW-ST.. (check mail)
zeropolis79
Atariator
Atariator

Postby unseenmenace » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:21 am

If you're not planning on using an Emulator then you may be better off buying orignals from places like Ebay. There are usually dozens if not hundreds of ST games on there and some can be snapped up for a pittance. Obviously some of the better and rarer titles can still cost a few quid in which case I'm sure someone would write an image onto floppy for you for a small fee. The other advantage of buying originals is that you can contribute to the ongoing preservation projects such as GameBaseST and Atari Legend by providing scans of boxes and manuals. If you were ever to buy an external floppy drive for your laptop you may even be able to provide disk images by creating them on the ST and copying the image files to a blank floppy and the n onto the laptop.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com
unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby zeropolis79 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks for that - I have tons of emulator images..
zeropolis79
Atariator
Atariator

Re: What to do *BEFORE* requesting!

Postby 030falcon030 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Anyone got a Linux version of this program?
If not I suggest these instructions are remedied as they aren't relevant to anyone not using Winblows.
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb w/ ct63 + ctpci
030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mug UK » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:26 pm

I could alter the topic but as it belongs to Gryzor, he can alter it when he's just back from wherever he's disappeared to :)
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby 030falcon030 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:42 pm

Its not really a problem, just would be nice to have some of these useful programs available for anyone using not using Windows, and I don't want to look like a doofus requesting a program, only for it to be on this :lol:
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb w/ ct63 + ctpci
030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Which prog are you talking about 030falcon030?
Ahh the disk detective, sadly it does not run on non-conformist operating systems :|

Surely you are not struggling to find something son?
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby Silver Surfer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:35 pm

030falcon030 wrote:Its not really a problem, just would be nice to have some of these useful programs available for anyone using not using Windows, and I don't want to look like a doofus requesting a program, only for it to be on this :lol:

Maybe Wine will run it?
Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Return to Games - Requests