Falcon Frontier

Game requests go here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Tatu
Atarian
Atarian

Falcon Frontier

Postby Tatu » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:56 am

Could there be a Falcon-enhanced version of Elite II: Frontier? Better use of the palette, DSP etc?

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Falcon Frontier

Postby cb » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:11 am

I recall someone at dhs.nu (I think it was PEP) released a modified version of the game with a fixed color palette (amongst other enhancements) years ago but that version was later removed for some reason...
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:19 am

cb wrote:I recall someone at dhs.nu (I think it was PEP) released a modified version of the game with a fixed color palette (amongst other enhancements) years ago but that version was later removed for some reason...

It was eventually lost, because back in those days only a single person was interested in that project - me :)

However, it's not rocker science to do fun stuff with that code. It's written in assembly hence sort of readable in disassembled form, and nowadays the code is fairly documented too.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:37 pm

shoggoth wrote:
cb wrote:I recall someone at dhs.nu (I think it was PEP) released a modified version of the game with a fixed color palette (amongst other enhancements) years ago but that version was later removed for some reason...

It was eventually lost, because back in those days only a single person was interested in that project - me :)

However, it's not rocker science to do fun stuff with that code. It's written in assembly hence sort of readable in disassembled form, and nowadays the code is fairly documented too.

That's a real shame, I loved playing Frontier on my Falcon back in the day.

Tatu
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tatu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Where can you find a documented source code? I guess you could disassemble and it wouldn't differ much from the original source code, but it would be a task to find out where everything is.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:46 am

Tatu wrote:Where can you find a documented source code? I guess you could disassemble and it wouldn't differ much from the original source code, but it would be a task to find out where everything is.

Browse the code here:
https://tom.noflag.org.uk/glfrontier.html

To apply that knowledge in practice on the Atari version, run Frontier.prg -> EasyRider, hack around until you can build a binary match, then start changing things :)
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Tatu wrote:Could there be a Falcon-enhanced version of Elite II: Frontier? Better use of the palette, DSP etc?

Doing it is huge work. So, the question is not "could be", but is it worth of effort. One project - linked one, not for Falcon was obviously never finished.
I can say just that I disassembled some shorter and simpler games, Uridium for instance - with intention to improve scroll. In meantime I realized that main problem are slow controls. I found solution for better scroll, but still need to deal with controls, and it appeared not easy at all. So, half year from done 100% good disassembly still far from release.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:39 pm

What would be awesome is if we could get a 'port' of the CD-ROM Dos version that had some texturing added. Granted I'd asked about this in the ST Ports to Jaguar thread as well, probably not terribly easy to do, but would be epic! I actually bought the CD-ROM version many moons ago, but never got around to playing it on DOS, instead had tried many times to play it on the ST, but could never remember the plethora of controls, and now I play Elite: Dangerous in my HTC Vive with my Saitek X52 Pro....

But I still feel like it'd be epic to play Frontier: Elite 2 on my Falcon with a Jagpad...
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Social Media

Return to “Games - Requests”