For Sale: Atari ST Book

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

For Sale: Atari ST Book

Postby Dal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:45 pm

My ST Book is up for grabs on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1916646625
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: For Sale: Atari ST Book

Postby Zogging Hell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Ah for a thicker wallet.. :)
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Likewise!
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

mjvans
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mjvans » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 pm

What a beauty. It looks so modern. Can you believe its 25 years old tech. How futuristic would an Atari book look like now when they were still in business.

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Nice, with box and cables and battery packs too :)

The hardest part is moving files back and forth, and with such a rare beast, you just can't mod the casing .. it'd be wrong :O Using a CF-card on the IDE inside is the best thing ever :)

jeff
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:59 pm

IIRC, I read that the TOS has a special serial-port file transfer build-in so you can use serial port to do file transfer. Like laplink I guess.
So not as difficult as you might think so.... may be slow by today's standard.
Never had one, never used it. May be Dal can elaborate more on this.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:13 pm

The TOS has a built in ramdisk (P: .. I think). Then you use a similar tool on an ST and do a null modem between; or was it parallel? Old memories :)

I found it easier to just do something with the CF based hdd and hang a cable out :0
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:40 pm

So... few questions about this beast. A) could I put a Cosmo sex in it? Without modifying it? B) German keyboard? does that mean it's non-qwerty and how non-qwerty is it? Can I swap it with a US one?

This is rough, I think I had finally decided I was going to snag a Cyberstorm MK II from someone, and I think this would be about the same price... but for the love of god, I'd want an ST Book, this was so far ahead of it's time and is a damned shame that Atari didn't make/sell more. This is the one that is basically an STe in a laptop, right?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Robson » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 am

leech wrote:So... few questions about this beast. A) could I put a Cosmo sex in it? Without modifying it? B) German keyboard? does that mean it's non-qwerty and how non-qwerty is it? Can I swap it with...

A: short answer: no way. Stbook has no fdd, there was an external one planned, but I think never released.

B: keyboard is interchangeable but hard to find. With uk tos the keyboard layout is english.

Indeed it was well ahead it is a shame there is no external monitor out like stacy has. nice piece of kit though. I would want the battery pack.

Stbook creates a P partition (in ram) at boot to help with pc transfer, very easy to backup that way. I did mine with it ages ago..

Dal can you please do some high res photos of the battery pack please, for a later 3d print. I only have the standard pack with (both of ) mine.
------------------------------------------------
https://tercsirobi.000webhostapp.com

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:40 am

leech wrote:but for the love of god, I'd want an ST Book, this was so far ahead of it's time and is a damned shame that Atari didn't make/sell more. This is the one that is basically an STe in a laptop, right?

I think that's stretching it a bit. It's a monochrome display so you won't be running r0x or Sleepwalker on it any time soon.

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:34 am

The display is pretty dim too - no backlight IIRC. They had to cut corners to get it so light and teeny (contrast to the STacy, which is like carrying a case of beer around :)

I have often thought about putting a front or backlight onto mine though. I've never thought about whethor I could find a new lcd panel of the same dimensions and try to port the interface over (probably awful work there), but putting on a backlight wouldn't be too hard to do I imagine.

Still, the ST Book is so utterly rare, its the cream of any collection :) My kids aren't allowed to touch mine :O

jeff
--

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Robson wrote:A: short answer: no way. Stbook has no fdd, there was an external one planned, but I think never released.

"The ST Book had no Floppy Disk Drive (FDD), and instead, data transfer is done via a serial cable which utilised the built-in ST Book transfer software. (Release machines did have a DMA port for a 3.5" FDD or external HD). " - http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/mirror/www.a ... tbook.html

Intriguing. Not sure how that would work. A floppy that to the computer looks like a hard disk??

/Troed

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:47 pm

The P: partition was essentially a RAM disk created by the modified TOS 2.06 on boot. It contains several utilities from hard disk prep to transfer along with some simple tools like a calendar as well. The transfer tool will work over serial or parallel (lap link cable) to get files to-from the STbook's hard disk.

I used an Ultrasatan plugged into the ASCI cable to transfer stuff to the internal CF. One of the SD cards in my Ultrasatan is TOS/DOS so I can get stuff from modern gear into it easily.

As most know, I'm one for modifying stuff to make it useable, but the STbook is something I wouldn't touch - not even installing an el sheet for the LCD. It is too important for that kind of behaviour in my opinion. What the next owner chooses to do is down to them.

Rob - I'll take some photos of the battery pack for you. I only ever saw one other reference to it and in all honesty, it might even have been from a previous owner of my machine.

It's surprising how long 7AA batteries will run the STbook actually, it's a very low power machine, especially with CF instead of hard disk.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:13 pm

I found a photo I took of the STRANS.PRG tool transferring data between the STbook and another ST
1 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Ha, I swear I read one of the Atari laptops was essentially an STe in a laptop. Did I dream up such a machine? I mean how freaking epic would that have been? Nice 4096 color pallette, stereo speakers. Hmm, how feasible would it be to get one built out of say a MiST board?

I'll create another topic for that, since it's off-topic here. I wasn't aware this was a monochromatic screen, but then again I'm assuming if Atari had been able to make these in great enough numbers and they'd been color, they may still be in business today. I guess kind of like if Commodore had been able to sell their stock of CD32s in the USA they had the potential to at least live a few more years. How sad that two of the greatest computer makers basically died in the mid 90s. Granted the way MS has been behaving of late, they could be the next big ones to go, but that'll take at least another decade or two.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Robson » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Dal wrote:Rob - I'll take some photos of the battery pack for you. I only ever saw one other reference to it and in all honesty, it might even have been from a previous owner of my machine.

Thanks in advance for the photos.

I did know about this pattery pack, it's a shame I didn't know about yours :).

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm

leech -- there is the STacy (rare) and the ST Book (isanely rare).

The STacy had a few models (Stacy 1 through Stacy 4 with 4MB of RAM), was basicly a portable STFM, with the built in mono monitor. I don't think it had anything from the STE line ... STacy is 1989 give or take; the STE and Mega's are from a bit later in time.

The ST Book .. is very stripped down; it came from later, had some OS extensions and such, but it lacked most peripherals so the STE stuff would be moot anyway :)

jeff
--

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

leech wrote:Ha, I swear I read one of the Atari laptops was essentially an STe in a laptop. Did I dream up such a machine? I mean how freaking epic would that have been? Nice 4096 color pallette, stereo speakers.

Well TFT didn't come out until 1991 and was brutally expensive. It also sucker a lot of power.
The color screens before then, I want to say STN, was absolutely awful, and with business Atari users using ST High for their software with reasonable screen real estate the color ability and thus lower res would have been pointless.
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Yeah, I agree with the screen and everything. Could have sworn I had read the ST Book had the upgraded video etc. What would have been the Ultimate Atari machine would have been something with the chipset of a Jaguar with MultiTOS in a laptop.

Would still love to own a ST Book, but I have too many STs that I don't have time to play with as it stands, and would most likely sit there in my room collecting dust. A cool system like this should be loved more than that, I think.

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:56 pm

This is the second STBook to go up for auction recently. I could not believe that I won the auction. I was sure it was going to sell near $3K like the previous one did a couple years ago. So just for the hell of it I put in $1K, there was no way I was going to win such a rear item! When I logged in to ebay a few days later I got a notice that I had won, and for a lot less then my $1k bid! It was a really big surprise. That wiped out my hobby budget for the year. But now I'm in a very small community of STBook owners.
I picked up this one from Curt V for about what that one is going for now. And it has the PSU.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262494646326?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:04 pm

You did well with that. They are difficult to list as ST Book is quite generic sounding. So, I can see how it might get missed.

Robson
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Robson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:28 am

I bought mine for 50000 huf (around 140gbp today) in 2007. Got my second one here on the forum.

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:15 am

I got a question for my personal culture...
Does the ST Book have a cartridge slot? So one could use Steinberg software with dongles for instance?
Thanks!

EDIT: self-reply, reading there:
http://st-news.com/issues/st-news-volum ... rformance/
"If "Cubase" requires plugging a 'key' in the cartridge port, a
special cartridge adaptor must be ordered separately."

BTW, the "STE" confusion may be due to the Wikipeida article saying the ST Book is STE based (but clearly stating the screen is monochrome)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:29 am

Looks like the bidding is going well, and four days still to go..
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:41 am

Usually theres sniping in at the end too, so it may go higher; but even now not a bad price .. about typical at 800 ukpounds. I've seen them go for a bit less or a bit more, or double on crazy ones :)

Good luck Dal .. do you have two, that you can let one go?!

jeff
--

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”