Wanted: Falcon Tos Chip

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here. Please use the sub forum if you are posting links to items you've found on ebay.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Wanted: Falcon Tos Chip

Postby Chandler » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:43 am

yeah i agree, been thinking about this today and i don't reckon it's the TOS

i've done these on ST/STE's and when the TOS is bad it's always a white screen that rolls (as you said when you removed the chip)

a blank white screen could point to other chips

you need to see if it does this white screen via the monitor port too

in the meantime start you paypal dispute as it will go on for a while and leave negative feedback if he ain't doing anything about it

under the new ebay rules he can't neg you back!

i know how rare the ole falcons are but you shouldn't put up with such crap service, you've effectively paid £160 for a pile of falcon parts

it's terrible too coz that guy was selling loadsa atari stuff and has high feedback

what a mutha fucker!

he's lucky he didn't sell it to me.....

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Right, I just desoldered the clock patch. I left the four wires that were going to it still attached to the motherboard. They're not touching anything, just pointing up in the air.

It's still the same as before.

So Greenious if you can find and sell me your tos rom I'd be grateful :) . I'll try that and if it still doesn't work then the repair is beyond my soldering skills and I'll give up on it, put it back as it was when I got it and make a claim to Paypal.

neo_rg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby neo_rg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:21 pm

i have a falcon 4.01 tos chip, it's one of those ones with a window that can be reburnt with a later version
if you are interested, also i'm sure i've got an fpu too, anyway pm me.

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Greenious wrote:I suggest you invite Alison for dinner... If she accepts, you wine her, dine her and beg her to rework your falcon with her soldering iron.

Well you're welcome to drop in up here and I'll go over the thing. I would need to do it here as it's impractical to come down there with a tool box (you always find that you need something else).

My approach would only be the basics and going over the obvious, ie. scope checking, frequencies, reworking, general observation of the board etc. I can repair an ST reliably through substitution. Like, in terms of memory I just take the whole lot out and put sockets in (in ST terms). An additional Falcon would really be needed, but then again, we could blow that one up as well. STs are relatively plentiful, Falcon's aren't. That increases the sweat stakes markedly.

So, I *can* do the obvious stuff, yet there's a limited risk of causing other problems in the process. As said, with an ST it's not so important. I haven't blown up an ST yet though. :) Have killed a power supply by dropping a screwdriver in it though (you don't do that very often in your life, they bang spark and usually take the house's electricity out). :D
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:39 am

neo_rg wrote:i have a falcon 4.01 tos chip, it's one of those ones with a window that can be reburnt with a later version

Thanks neo_rg, I'll be in touch shortly.

Greenious wrote:I suggest you invite Alison for dinner... If she accepts, you wine her, dine her and beg her to rework your falcon with her soldering iron.

Haha! I don't think I could afford Alison. Especially after forking out for the Falcon. :wink:

techie_alison wrote:Well you're welcome to drop in up here and I'll go over the thing.

Thanks for the offer but I looked at the dispute procedure on Paypal yesterday and it seems you only have a certain amount of time to start the dispute. So the dispute is now started. I'll try neo_rg's tos and if it doesn't work, I'll continue the dispute, then upgrade it to see if I can get my money back. If however, it works, I'll stop the dispute and I'll be happy.

If for some strange reason Paypal dosen't side with me, I'll be in touch Alison. Although I think I'd be posting the motherboard up to you rather than dropping it by. A bit too far for a day trip. :)

firyembers
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby firyembers » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:35 pm

neo_rg wrote:i have a falcon 4.01 tos chip, it's one of those ones with a window that can be reburnt with a later version

Do You still have tos 4.01available,would be interested in purchasing.let me kno
regards

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:15 am

Greenious wrote:I made a batch of TOS 4.04 a long time ago, but I am out now, and it is unlikely I will do any more. The chips, at the time atleast, was a b*tch to locate, and it is indeed a single chip. A 16bit 4mbit PLCC. (27C4096)

Greenious - I remember you told me of a bunch of substitutes for this ages ago - I've got a mountain of pc's here I can rabbit bits out of, I know for a fact that I can get my hands on many 49lf004a chips, some SST branded, but from memory these are eeproms - reprogrammable, but are they of use in a Falcon?

cheers

karlm.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:33 am

karlm wrote:Greenious - I remember you told me of a bunch of substitutes for this ages ago - I've got a mountain of pc's here I can rabbit bits out of, I know for a fact that I can get my hands on many 49lf004a chips, some SST branded, but from memory these are eeproms - reprogrammable, but are they of use in a Falcon?

To be honest I haven't got that list anymore, but I posted it in the forum somewhere, so the info is still there somewhere.

eeproms do work, as long as the pinout is the same and they are 5v parts.

However, 49lf004a seems to be 8-bit wide chips, 32 pin plcc. Falcon needs roms with 16-bit wide databus, which are 44 pin plcc.

I still have one battered TOS 4.04 eprom, and I have located a source for the eproms needed, but I need atleast 5 interested buyers before it is worthwhile to order them and make another batch.

Price is still 22 euros with freight.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Erazotropa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Erazotropa » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:45 pm

For all you that are looking for the (E)prom 27c4096...

I have just ordered some from ProgShop.com: http://www.progshop.com/shop/chips/eproms.html

They have got plenty on stock for still reasonable prices...
Björn - Erazotropa - Eraz

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”