WANTED: Profibuch or ST Internals

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here. Please use the sub forum if you are posting links to items you've found on ebay.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

ppera

Re: WANTED: Profibuch or ST Internals

Postby ppera » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:31 am

muguk wrote:I concur .. now who's going to translate it (only joking!)

I can translate some parts - mostly those which I have in my older edition of Profibuch (and in head somehow). But then someone whit better English should correct translations...

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:49 pm

A short overview for all interested readers:
Book scanned to page 800 in 400dpi, greyscale and saved as jpg with low compression. The size of all pictures is 465MB so far, which looks very big, but OCR will work somewhere between good and very good with this high quality.

There are 2 possible ways now. I can use Acrobat Pro for OCR, but someone has to look for errors. In addition i would create a pdf with reduced quality and size. The other way is downloading the large picture and use them for OCR.

So, who wants to help and how do you want to work?
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Upload the JPGs to somewhere - i.e. your FTP or a Rapidshare account (or similar) and I could then download them and OCR them?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

beastie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby beastie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:32 pm

keili wrote:A short overview for all interested readers:
Book scanned to page 800 in 400dpi, greyscale and saved as jpg with low compression. The size of all pictures is 465MB so far, which looks very big, but OCR will work somewhere between good and very good with this high quality.

There are 2 possible ways now. I can use Acrobat Pro for OCR, but someone has to look for errors. In addition i would create a pdf with reduced quality and size. The other way is downloading the large picture and use them for OCR.

We're ready :-) I'm downloading the first batch right now: Profibuch_Part1.zip. Will give you a PM on how the work is going on soon.

Thanx,
B.

CopperCAT
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby CopperCAT » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:36 pm

keili wrote:A short overview for all interested readers:

I have access to a PC with abby finereader. I've never used an OCR before, but after my exams are finished, I'm willing to give it a try :)

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Wow, so much help :D . Let's organize it.

beastie works on part 1 now.
Mug, you download part 2 on Saturday and
CopperCAT, part 3 is also up on Saturday.

I'll pm you links.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Not a problem - am out Saturday most of the day & evening due to a friend's daughter's 21st birthday party so will get the link on Sunday. If you want to swap links and give me the 'Sunday' link and the other person the Saturday link, then this will mean less delay?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

CopperCAT
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby CopperCAT » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:48 pm

keili wrote:Wow, so much help :D . Let's organize it.

beastie works on part 1 now.
Mug, you download part 2 on Saturday and
CopperCAT, part 3 is also up on Saturday.

I'll pm you links.

What format should the outputted text be? PDF? And what about the page size?
Otherwise, the merged part could become very inconsistent :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Stick with PDF all the way .. Adobe 8 can stitch multiple PDFs into the one file easily enough

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:08 am

CopperCAT, use pdf for output. Page size is not a problem, because the parts can be merged and, if the size is different, can be printed again to pdf with the same size.

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Update: I'm ready with scanning (uff, finally :D ) and in the meantime Mug and i have played around with Acrobat Professional 8. The first results look good, but there are still some problems to fix. Most of the work has been done in batch-modes with different programs, which ran in the background. Now comes the time consuming part. We'll keep you informed.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:40 pm

It's been a bit of a slog but after a couple of run throughs in OCR mode, the book does come out really well. It's about 90% accurate and could easily be re-created into a .DOC file for the final editing process but we need to sort out other mistakes that are cropping up (words not being recognised by OCR, graphics being interpreted as text etc. etc.) but I'm well impressed by the first few attempts at something that's over 700 pages long in a 10Mb (or so) .PDF file!

CopperCAT
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby CopperCAT » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:07 pm

I'm about halfway my part now :) After a while it gets easy because the wrongly detected parts are always the same. Especially the array-brackets seem to confuse FInereader.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:52 pm

prt_block() - always the same error .. the '_' becomes a 'c' and the '()' always turn into a 'O'. Hopefully whatever script that Keilli can come up with for Paint Shop Pro X2, that will fine tune the pictures will be useful to the OCR side of things.

CopperCAT
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby CopperCAT » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 pm

How's this project going actually? I PMed my part 4 to keili but haven't heard anything anymore.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:17 pm

I've got a few ST books I should probably scan... only the Compute! assembly book is easyish (ring-bound) though. There must be some lazier (= easier & better) way :D
tá'n poc ar buile!

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Hello,

The profibuch : http://www.clive.nl/detail/12498/
Price 20,- €
It's in my opinion a reasonable price.
If you scan all the pages and then print them, it cost you more.

Found also on ebay-ger : 4,- € for the profibuch

Mark

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”