Please support this NEW ATARI CONSOLE petition.

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

elan
Atarian
Atarian

Please support this NEW ATARI CONSOLE petition.

Postby elan » Sat May 20, 2006 4:42 pm

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Sat May 20, 2006 9:39 pm

Should I put this on the Atari Home news page? :roll:
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sat May 20, 2006 11:55 pm

jens wrote:Should I put this on the Atari Home news page? :roll:

Go for it, I've plugged it in a few places... :D

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Sat May 20, 2006 11:59 pm

wow. 16 signatures. if I was a big corpration of floppy drive manufacturers I'd seriously consider doing that.

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Sun May 21, 2006 1:07 am

Obviously you aren't English but if you're going to approach such a huge corporation then you need to get what you want to say into easy understandable English with no mistakes otherwise the company will probably look away after the first spelling mistake.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun May 21, 2006 8:12 am

TBH I don't want a new gaming console, be it from Atari, Commodore, or anyone else. My pc suits me for modern gaming. Traditionally I used computers and not consoles.

So that's my personal opinion done with.

What niche would that console fill? Nostalgic gamers? And how many would pay for a console just because it's from "Atari" (I hardly think that any of the old engineers of Atari is employed by Infogrames). So it wouldn't be a console by Atari, but by someone who's called Atari..

Younger ppl will stick to their Sony, Nintendo and Micro$oft consoles, so that leaves older ppl. I doubt Atari could attract big/small game developers to spend time to make games on a console that doesn't have guaranteed sales.

I liked the Atari line of computers because they did stuff in their own way, making custom chips, modifying technology to suit their needs, etc. What you're proposing to them is to take existing technologies (CPUs unavoidable-, gfx cards, sound cards etc) and wrap a console around them. Where's the character in the proposed machine? Where's the Atari touch exactly?

Well, that's enough from me I think

George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Womble » Sun May 21, 2006 8:19 am

I thought the ST was mainly off the shelf hardware, and the Amiga had scads of custom chips.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun May 21, 2006 10:18 am

Womble wrote:I thought the ST was mainly off the shelf hardware, and the Amiga had scads of custom chips.

Hmm I was thinking of Coleen hardware (Atari 800) when I wrote this but stuff like the shifter chip or the videl I think are Atari's.

George
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sun May 21, 2006 10:47 am

And don't forget the dma..

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Wed May 24, 2006 12:56 am

Up to 48 signatures now... :)

Predictably, everywhere I've posted it rather than sign the thing, people have elected to tell me why it won't happen and why I'm stupid and naive for even hoping because "the Atari name has changed hands so many times, blah, blah blah.."

Just sign the Goddamn petition already!! :twisted:

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed May 24, 2006 6:09 am

This one sounds more than a retro console, sounds more like a modernized X-Box or PS3 contender. f it goes that way, I might consider buying one.

Signed the pet ofcourse even if I'm traditionally more of a PC/computer guy than console man!
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Trooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Trooper » Wed May 24, 2006 7:16 am

Well, that's the biggest waste of time in a while.

/T

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Wed May 24, 2006 8:19 am

But was it a bigger waste of time than reading this thread about it?

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Wed May 24, 2006 4:14 pm

There's a very similar thread on Pouet.net, uncannily identical link too..

http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=2852&page=1
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Wed May 24, 2006 5:44 pm

"added on the 2006-05-19 by snxr

It's things like this that make me want to stab people in the face with a screwdriver"

Hehehe :)

elan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby elan » Wed May 24, 2006 8:25 pm

Hallo troopers!!!

Sorry for my poor grammar in this petition.I will improve it!We got 52 and still rise up!!!
So I think ATARI MUST MOVE!!!

To dontbelievers -> I think XBOX is made in china and it is still product of microsoft.So it is not important to have big factory nowadays.
Just lot of $$$.AND MARK.So many product identity and rapid prototyping teams are on the world...
Why I choose in this spec-sheet PowerPC.Just for one reason MOTOROLA HAS NO 68070!!!
And PPC is compactible with -> 68020....
Thank you for your support.
You can link this everywhere...

I BELIVE THAT ATARI ONE WILL REALISE SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND I WILL BUY IT.

So many people say IT IS NOT POSSIBLE,ATARI GOT NO $$$ and so.
But I SAY THIS: ANYTHING STARTS WITH A LITTLE CRAZY DREAM!!!
THIS DREAM OF DREAMERS BECOME TO REALITY...
Maybeeeeee.

Once more time sorry for my english... You know what i mean!

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed May 24, 2006 8:30 pm

I don't really think you are going to achieve anything. But you really have a lot of enthusiasm that you do...

AnthraX
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby AnthraX » Wed May 24, 2006 10:33 pm

To be honest this is possibly the stupidest idea i've seen this year no matter how many people sign its not gonna happen.

I'd like to be prooved wrong but i seriously doubt i gotta worry about that.
Last edited by AnthraX on Thu May 25, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Trooper » Wed May 24, 2006 11:29 pm

To dontbelievers -> I think XBOX is made in china and it is still product of microsoft.So it is not important to have big factory nowadays.
Just lot of $$$

Well that's the problem isn't it? InfoAtari don't have a lot of $$$, actually they're bleeding money at the moment and will continue to do so for quite some time. What InfoAtari will and should do is concentrate on getting black figures and that will take quite some time.

It costs loads and loads of cash to develop and launch a new console today, it's not 1977 anymore. Remember that M$ are losing cash on every console they sell, the same goes for Sony with the PS3. It's simply the way the industry works, you sell the console with a loss and try to make up for it in software sales. InfoAtari simply doesn't have the kind of cash needed to compete in the console market.

/Troop

AWillson
Atariator
Atariator

Postby AWillson » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:09 am

Not to be a curmudgeon--or to beat a dead horse, but since I was just reading this thread--I'd have to reiterate what Trooper said. There just isn't any way that the current Atari, drained of cash, bereft of good products, and some think heading for another bout with oblivion, is going to invest what little it has left in an R&D venture that would take longer to develop than the company could survive given its cash state and the resources this would consume today. No, if you want to develope a totally new, top-of-the-line, set top box gaming console, you've got to have about a $billion. When Sony launched the Playstation I think they spent something insane, like $500 million, on worldwide advertising that year! That's just the ads!!! No hardware, no stock reserves, no software development, no infrastructure, etc. Unfortunately, Atari Corp. proved with the Jaguar that multibillion companies are the only players in the modern console industry, and today's Atari, Inc. has something like $60 million TOTAL available. So if they laid off everyone but one person, outsourced everything and mortgaged everything to the hilt they'd still be hundreds of millions short..... geez, I just depressed myself..... :?

But, it was a nice thought..... if I had my way the current incarnation of Atari would collapse and someone else would buy them.... now THAT could happen. C'mon Nolan, you know you want to!!!

-Aaron

moondog/.tSCc.

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:24 pm

To be honest, even if your petition will be signed by a few hundred people, it will be still wasted time... if you look at the things you want to have included and the price you´re ready to pay, it means a possible company would get nothing out of it... so who the hell will put those machines together? Even little chinese slaves will have some money to do so ;)

The truth is, there is no place for a new gaming console, the market is filled up with Sony, MS and Nintendo... just see that even the NUON project didn´t had any chance... and that was a really existing machine, but who will buy one without loads of available software and without real promotion (that will cost a -lot- of money)?! If there isn´t enough software available, there will be not much sales of the machine and if there aren´t enough sales (and we speak here of at least x0.000 units!) nobody will make a game for it... that is simply the truth... we saw this at the Atari Jaguar... even many 10.000 sold machines didn´t brought the most major companies to the point to do one single game for that system.

I wont say it wont be possible to develop a new machine, but to get enough people interested in buying one and to get one to produce such a machine in enoug units to impress major software houses to release something for it is the point that finally will make the whole effort senseless...

greetings, eric
Undercover Magascene - observing the Atari scene since 1993

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”