Now I am almost a complete Atari Geek....

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Now I am almost a complete Atari Geek....

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sun May 14, 2006 2:44 pm

Checked out 3 local(ish) car boot sales today.... Got a Jaguar for a tenner - No PSU or games with it though, damn I should have checked :roll: :oops:
The guy was also flogging a boxed 1040 STE, looked in good nick, he wanted £50.00 for it though or "make me an offer", my bid of £10.00 was not accepted :P

So all I need now is a power supply and games for the Jaguar, then I will fit in nicely at the Jagfest :D 8)

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Sun May 14, 2006 3:39 pm

Nicely done m8. I also went bootfairing this morning and got an ST for £5 :)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Mon May 15, 2006 9:26 am

I'd be wary of stuff from Car Boot sales.. I bought a 1040 motherboard at one once (actually it was that big one at the cattle market in Clitheroe, RGUK) and shoved it in my 520 case.. It worked fine at first but there was a dry joint or something somewhere on the board and it kept crashing at random.. :(

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon May 15, 2006 9:44 am

Never seen *any* ST goodies at any of the local car boots I've been to :(

Most I've picked up recently was a PSX with the "ahem" cart in the back of it for £13 plus a few games. Also got the video playback cart to go with it from the local Crack Convertors outlet for £3. Really must get around to plugging it in and double-checking it etc.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon May 15, 2006 9:55 am

Unfortunately no car boot sales here... Just some bazaars without any really cool stuff and trashcans. But it's been a long time since good stuff have surfaced there, they usually sit at the bottom away from the seeking eye. And our local ebay type site, let me not get back to that. Anyway RG you still miss a falcon ! :wink:
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Mon May 15, 2006 10:24 am

christos wrote:Anyway RG you still miss a falcon ! :wink:

Good luck with finding a Falcon, I'm about to collect my 2nd one - They're like rocking horse poo to find at affordable prices :)

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon May 15, 2006 10:37 am

Now, here's the situation in greece:

http://www.fleamarket.gr/lot.cfm?lotID=4427081

:P

I wouldn't dare guess how much would this guy sell a falcon :)
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon May 15, 2006 10:39 am

Ouch!! 200 Euros for an ST?

Puts it into perspective when you see the rip off prices some people think they're worth on ePrey. They must look at that site in Greece first and think they can charge a bit less :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon May 15, 2006 10:41 am

200 euros for 2 STs :)

Anyway, we seem to set the standard for prices here :)

(I must be thanking my lucky stars for finding a jag with only 45 euros :) )

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon May 15, 2006 12:07 pm

Hmm that was you George. I had my eye on that one too....
My Atari blog

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon May 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Tell you what: we contact the guy, ask him to give us the lot fo 50 euros, and then each take one machine :)

George

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Mon May 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Grunaki wrote:......it was that big one at the cattle market in Clitheroe, RGUK
Not been to that one for some years, it is a good one, particularly since it is all indoors, down the road in Gizburn there is also a good one..
There are literally dozens of car boots sales / fairs, flea markets within an hours drive of here on Sundays, I get a lift off my mate who has a 60s VW camper, we normally head out about 7:00 AM for Oldham first (Rochdale Town Hall when it is on once / Month), then drop by Ashton and then back up to the one on Broadway (Near the Failsworth Retro-venue).
Occasionally we head off to the coast at Morcambe or Southport, there are some Uber-Boot Fairs there man! 8O :wink:

It's a good day out, but as Grunaki said, just don't pay too much for something that invariably doesn't work when you get it home, and steer clear of the traders who sell brand new tack, and the tea-leaves who flog mobile phone covers / stolen DVD players / remote controls etc).
:)

christos wrote:Anyway RG you still miss a falcon ! :wink:

And a TT, Stacy, 2600, all of the 8 bit machines, arcade cabinets etc, I only wish to be a simple geek, not some sort of Atari Dorklord or Uber-Nerd, this Forum just ain't big enough for more than one such Nerdus Maximus :ehum:
:D

MadDonna
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MadDonna » Mon May 15, 2006 4:31 pm

that means that I am a Collectus Atarios Geekos
1 Atari 520ST, 1 Atari 1040STf, 1 Atari 1040 STfm, 2 Atari 1040 STe, 2 Atari Mega 1, 1 Atari Mega ST 2, 1 Mega STe, 1 Megafile 30, 1 Megafile with an IBM 1Gb replacement, 2 Atari TT030 and 1 Falcon

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon May 15, 2006 7:47 pm

ggn wrote:Tell you what: we contact the guy, ask him to give us the lot fo 50 euros, and then each take one machine :)

George

Well he hasn't been selling it for about 6 months so I don't think he' d be receptive to something like that... He might think they are worth their weight in oil or something. Maybe it's worth a shot.
My Atari blog

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon May 15, 2006 8:55 pm

christos wrote:
ggn wrote:Tell you what: we contact the guy, ask him to give us the lot fo 50 euros, and then each take one machine :)

George

Well he hasn't been selling it for about 6 months so I don't think he' d be receptive to something like that... He might think they are worth their weight in oil or something. Maybe it's worth a shot.

He's a damn fool, that's what he is.

I'll contact him tomorrow

George

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue May 16, 2006 9:26 am

He's a damn fool, that's what he is.

I'll contact him tomorrow

George

OK you do that. If it works I'll pick it up and send it to you. After all he lives in my home town!
My Atari blog

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Fri May 19, 2006 12:56 am

So what's the deal with the Falcon? Are they actually worth getting or not?

I remember from 'Atari ST User' back in the day that they were pretty much a business machine and Atari seemed to be trying to create a competitor for the PC.. I remember that you could get an on-board PC emulator for it (I think it only got as high as a 386 though).

Looking at the list of games for the thing, most of them seem to be share/freeware and there weren't very many commercial releases for it.
It's a pity as a next-gen ST should have been great, but I guess it just never flew.. Oh well, c'est la vie I suppose.. :(

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Fri May 19, 2006 6:22 am

ggn wrote:He might think they are worth their weight in oil or something. Maybe it's worth a shot.

Holy poo! At those prices, my ST is worth about $400! Petrol down here (gas to those strange people) has hit $1.50 per litre :(

Have to convert me car to run on 'shine : :lol:

karlm

ozzwald
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ozzwald » Fri May 19, 2006 6:57 am

RetroGamerUK wrote:Occasionally we head off to the coast at Morcambe or Southport, there are some Uber-Boot Fairs there man! 8O :wink:

Hey RG, there was I thinking I was no longer near any hardcore ST people, and you go and start hanging around the local boot sales!

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Fri May 19, 2006 7:41 am

Grunaki wrote:So what's the deal with the Falcon? Are they actually worth getting or not?

Definitely worth getting :)

Grunaki wrote:I remember from 'Atari ST User' back in the day that they were pretty much a business machine and Atari seemed to be trying to create a competitor for the PC.. I remember that you could get an on-board PC emulator for it (I think it only got as high as a 386 though).

I would say the TT was more of a business machine whereas the Falcon was kind of a multimedia system. Its built-in sampler and DSP chip make it great as a music system and its graphics modes also give it excellent capabilities for graphics work and games.

Grunaki wrote:Looking at the list of games for the thing, most of them seem to be share/freeware and there weren't very many commercial releases for it.
It's a pity as a next-gen ST should have been great, but I guess it just never flew.. Oh well, c'est la vie I suppose.. :(

Some normal ST games work (usually requiring help from a program such as Backwards) and most STE games work (e.g. Stardust, Obsession, Substation). There are some excellent Falcon only games if you can get hold of them such as the Falcon versions of the Ishar Trilogy and Robinsons Requiem.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Fri May 19, 2006 12:56 pm

karlm wrote:Holy poo! At those prices, my ST is worth about $400! Petrol down here (gas to those strange people) has hit $1.50 per litre :(

Have to convert me car to run on 'shine : :lol:

karlm

Yep, gas is the same over here.. It's currently $1.07.9 a litre around here, but it varies wherever you go (For example, we went out to the country last weekend and it was only $1.05 there..) and varies wildly from province to province (some places are $1.50 and up per litre).

Then again, I remember when I still lived in the UK (not even 2 years back) - petrol there has been around the mid 90 pence mark for ages, which is more than 2 bucks Canadian.. :x

MadDonna
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MadDonna » Fri May 19, 2006 1:31 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by MadDonna on Mon May 22, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Atari 520ST, 1 Atari 1040STf, 1 Atari 1040 STfm, 2 Atari 1040 STe, 2 Atari Mega 1, 1 Atari Mega ST 2, 1 Mega STe, 1 Megafile 30, 1 Megafile with an IBM 1Gb replacement, 2 Atari TT030 and 1 Falcon

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Fri May 19, 2006 1:46 pm

ozzwald wrote:
RetroGamerUK wrote:Occasionally we head off to the coast at Morcambe or Southport, there are some Uber-Boot Fairs there man! 8O :wink:

Hey RG, there was I thinking I was no longer near any hardcore ST people, and you go and start hanging around the local boot sales!

Although I am flattered by these kind words I am really a mere enthusiast than hardcore to be honest :wink:
Try as I might (as I never do), I am just far too normal to fit that criteria :(
The real Mr. big of ST is kinda half way between here and your place :D
Now we are talking hardcore/know the score/old skool/roolz etc.

Its actually been about 3 years since we strayed so far from the usual car boot circuit around here, maybe my mate will be up for an excursion to the sea soon.... would be nice to see the bay again, it is always nice to visit places nicer than Rochdale. (i.e. anywhere in any direction).
:)

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sat May 20, 2006 3:07 am

RetroGamerUK wrote:The real Mr. big of ST is kinda half way between here and your place :D

Preston? :?

BTW - Is that the same Ozzwald from LSD/Was (Not Was) ?

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat May 20, 2006 8:38 am

"kinda" half way, as in "several" miles south "ish" of Preston prob :wink:

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”