Something positive, for change

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

iggydrougge
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Something positive, for change

Postby iggydrougge » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 am

I believe Miggy4eva has already been banned from English Amiga Board. His ramblings aren't taken seriously over there either.

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:57 am

AtariZoll wrote:
darklight wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:...It's just because nick and grammar.
"one of the only decent games" - surely not native English speaker.

FWIW - that is a perfectly valid and commonly used English phrase :)

Only ,,, and then not game but games ??? I thought that 'only' is for single, not multiple. OK, will not say more about how inconsistent World's most used - not in meaning that most people talks it (we know that more speak Spanish for instance), but in international communication is. Or I missing something ?

As a native speaker it just sounds "right" and I had to think or a minute to explain this.
"Decent games" is a plural, he's saying there are a number of decent games. This game (Dungeon Master) is one of them.
Similar examples might be "Terminator 2 is one of the best movies ever made", which is different to "Terminator 2 is the best movie ever made"

AtariZoll wrote:
Ragstaff wrote:Firefox is correct as much as I hate to say! The word you want is "pride".
Good point you make though, I agree. We never know who people are in their real lives, we only see a small portion of them on the internet

Right. However, I looked for it quickly on Google, and 'prideness' appeared as choice, so I thought it is valid. Actually, it would be proud and pride :D
And there were cases when Firefox was really wrong. English is not easy case.

Firefox and other spell checkers are often wrong, so I understand why you dismissed it!
Out of curiosity I tried entering "proudness" in google and it's funny how it appears to be a legitimate word. In a world of sycophantic AI search engines who want to please us, and online dictionaries begging for traffic by including every single word possible, somehow they have conspired to make this look like a normally used word to non-native speakers (and highschool students I imagine!).
The word sounds wrong to me but if I forget that, and accept that it's in some dictionaries then I must say it sounds very old-fashioned to my ear. Adding "ness" to an adjective to turn it into a noun is done to many words we use but we get a sense we are using an older form of English if we stop to think about it.
And indeed, according to this source the last time "proudness", or "prowdness" was used in published writing was in 1606, and it was used more often before that in the 1500's.
So, you used original English mate ;-)

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:20 am

Speaking of Firefox's spell checker. I ended up changing mine to English (UK) at some point, and now whenever I leave out the extra U, it reminds me (for things like colour, armour, etc).
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:25 am

Ragstaff wrote:As a native speaker it just sounds "right" and I had to think or a minute to explain this.
"Decent games" is a plural, he's saying there are a number of decent games. This game (Dungeon Master) is one of them.
Similar examples might be "Terminator 2 is one of the best movies ever made", which is different to "Terminator 2 is the best movie ever made"

Hmm, so saying: 'Terminator 2 is one of the only best movies ever made' is correct too ? Because word 'only' is what bothered me here. So, I guessed that it is result of direct translation from some (latin) language. For me it just sounds very strange. Much better is to say: one of few decent games .... - in my opinion.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:49 am

"Terminator 2 is one of the only best movies ever made" - you are correct, this is not correct English. "Only" is redundant when paired with "best", because "best" kind of already includes "only" in its meaning. So I'm sorry to use a bad example, I didn't know you would try to substitute words in that way. But there are other words you could substitute and the grammar is correct and what a native speaker will use:
"Terminator 2 is one of the only shitty movies ever made"
"Terminator 2 is one of the only colour movies ever made"
"Terminator 2 is one of the only James Cameron movies ever made" etc

I know I can't explain it well, I'm not an English teacher.
But I can assure you that "Dungeon Master, one of the only decent games for ST, at least in its early life" is perfect English and does not scream "google translate".

Much better is to say: one of few decent games .... - in my opinion.

And I'm sorry to be an asshole. Normally I wouldn't correct little mistakes but because of the topic and the irony... correct sentence would be "one of the few decent games"

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:10 am

Ragstaff wrote:

And I'm sorry to be an asshole. Normally I wouldn't correct little mistakes but because of the topic and the irony... correct sentence would be "one of the few decent games"

Well, now I will be an ass: I said 'much better', not 'perfect' :mrgreen:
Thanx for clarifications. Too bad that there was no voting for Earth's common language at time. I would vote Esperanto :D Now is too late.

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 pm

AtariZoll wrote:
Ragstaff wrote:

Well, now I will be an ass: I said 'much better', not 'perfect' :mrgreen:
Thanx for clarifications. Too bad that there was no voting for Earth's common language at time. I would vote Esperanto :D Now is too late.

I vorte for Klingon :lol:
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Cyprian wrote:well known amiga fanboy from http://eab.abime.net/

I guess this is another dlfrsilver fake account.

dlfrsilver was so annoying that I made SPECIAL web page for his GEMs:
http://milan.kovac.cc/atari/dlfrsilver/

and I add Miggy4Eva ridicules quote...
I will continue to add these nonsense just so people can quickly realize how serious some users are.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Miguel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:17 pm

To be honest I am not a big fan of Google giving people the tools to censor other people's opinions, to me it seems somewhat Orwellian.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:28 pm

calimero wrote:dlfrsilver was so annoying that I made SPECIAL web page for his GEMs:

Isn't that just as childish?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Miguel wrote:To be honest I am not a big fan of Google giving people the tools to censor other people's opinions, to me it seems somewhat Orwellian.

If I think better, there was 1 case, when I deleted whole video, because that was only way to get rid of some idiotic comments, all written by one person.
And this 2 quoted comments, which were actually not comments of videos.
Now, to answer on that "censor other people's opinions" - some control must be. Otherwise it will turn into chaos. IMDB removed couple months ago their message boards. Because it went in total trolling, spamming. Cleaning it constantly would cost them lot of money.
Basically, there are 3 cases when some post is for removal:
Advertising
Off topic
Contain some blatant lies
Note that none of 3 belongs in category 'opinion'. Opinion (related to subject) is good. Being stubborn dickhead is not good.
In this case, we have actually combination of all 3 - that poor someone advertised Amiga. Was off topic - talked not about video, or technical details about it. Lied about how Amiga is superior.
As every tool, censorship can be used for good, or for bad. World is not B/W .
People posting videos on YT deserves right to keep comments at some level.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:47 pm

mfro wrote:
Isn't that just as childish?

:lol: :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 pm

AtariZoll wrote:
Miguel wrote:To be honest I am not a big fan of Google giving people the tools to censor other people's opinions, to me it seems somewhat Orwellian.

If I think better, there was 1 case, when I deleted whole video, because that was only way to get rid of some idiotic comments, all written by one person.
And this 2 quoted comments, which were actually not comments of videos.
Now, to answer on that "censor other people's opinions" - some control must be. Otherwise it will turn into chaos. IMDB removed couple months ago their message boards. Because it went in total trolling, spamming. Cleaning it constantly would cost them lot of money.
Basically, there are 3 cases when some post is for removal:
Advertising
Off topic
Contain some blatant lies
Note that none of 3 belongs in category 'opinion'. Opinion (related to subject) is good. Being stubborn dickhead is not good.
In this case, we have actually combination of all 3 - that poor someone advertised Amiga. Was off topic - talked not about video, or technical details about it. Lied about how Amiga is superior.
As every tool, censorship can be used for good, or for bad. World is not B/W .
People posting videos on YT deserves right to keep comments at some level.

Idiotic or not they are not your comments to delete, it's just that Google has given you the tools to censor the speech of others, which is absolutely wrong.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Miguel wrote:Idiotic or not they are not your comments to delete, it's just that Google has given you the tools to censor the speech of others, which is absolutely wrong.

That's your opinion, and you need to add some arguments for it, if want to be taken seriously.
As said, I did not delete comments, I deleted off topic spam and trolling. Now you will come that it is not on me to decide what is it - and so on ...
Anyway - you can write to Google too, if this bothers you so much. I really will not discuss about it anymore. Time is biggest value.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm

calimero wrote:
Cyprian wrote:well known amiga fanboy from http://eab.abime.net/

I guess this is another dlfrsilver fake account.

dlfrsilver was so annoying that I made SPECIAL web page for his GEMs:
http://milan.kovac.cc/atari/dlfrsilver/

and I add Miggy4Eva ridicules quote...
I will continue to add these nonsense just so people can quickly realize how serious some users are.

Please remind me to send you what he wrote, and keeps writing on French forum Gamopat : this is even worse.
I can help for the translation, of course.
I alos think I have his full name, so I'll be delighted to expose the moron, fully.
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 pm

i know that dlfrsilver is worse when he think, is together with his Amiga friends, i had a couple of goes with him, in the past. but to show his name as to exhibit him in the pillory i don't see no reason for it.
he just a old teen stuck in the past, where for some reason, his Amiga became his love of his live...

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:27 pm

AtariZoll wrote:
Miguel wrote:Idiotic or not they are not your comments to delete, it's just that Google has given you the tools to censor the speech of others, which is absolutely wrong.

That's your opinion, and you need to add some arguments for it, if want to be taken seriously.
As said, I did not delete comments, I deleted off topic spam and trolling. Now you will come that it is not on me to decide what is it - and so on ...
Anyway - you can write to Google too, if this bothers you so much. I really will not discuss about it anymore. Time is biggest value.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact that other people's comments are not your comments and it's also a fact that Google has provided you with the tools to dispose of other people's intellectual property. Telling me that you didn't delete comments because you don't regard off topic comments as comments constitutes a semantic logical fallacy. Look either you believe in free speech or you don't....and if you do believe in free speech you don't get to decide what constitutes free speech because that's not how it works.....you can't negate the free part of speech without contradicting yourself.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Yes. lets allow people to expose fascist ideas, to forge history and like. Because of some freedom of speech. No, freedom means not that everyone can do whatever he wants and thinks that is good. That's the basic fact. I will put now you on ignore list, because you are boring.

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 pm

I strongly disagree.

Its *your* youtube channel, where you are trying to get across *your* message, and grow *your* community. Other people can disrupt that with OT or just plain crazy comments.

Why should that be allowed to happen? Why cant they just create their own channel and post their videos / comments there?
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:06 pm

darklight wrote:

I strongly disagree.

Its *your* youtube channel, where you are trying to get across *your* message, and grow *your* community. Other people can disrupt that with OT or just plain crazy comments.

Why should that be allowed to happen? Why cant they just create their own channel and post their videos / comments there?

+1

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 am

I am amazed to see how some limit the freedom of expression demanding that the fascism be banned, but it does not say anything of prohibiting the communism that holds the world´s greatest genocide and continues being legal in many countries.
Please, that someone designs some reinforcement with fast-RAM of coherence.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 am

Google owns the service you post comments on (in the case of YouTube) so that makes it their site and their computer and they can delete whatever they like.
If google don't care about a negative comment but the person running the channel does, they can delete it. Because it's their channel.
The beauty of the internet however is that you can make your own channel or w baited that you own and you can say what you like, there's your free speech.

I personally think Web 2.0, the interactive web or rather the web where people are encouraged to leave comments, is a failure.
Look through forums and YouTube channels and you find a high proportion of negativity, personal attacks and downright abuse. It's virtually impossible to stay on top of it (i.e. delete it and even ban people) so you may as well not turn the facility on in the first place. Personally I think youtube would be better without the comment facility. It's rare any comment adds something to the conversation.

But maybe it represents the people of the world. As in there are more than enough unevolved, unintelligent and destructive ***holes to go around...
Last edited by EmpireAndrew on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 am

FedePede04 wrote:
darklight wrote:

I strongly disagree.

+1

+2
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:00 am

Atarieterno wrote:I am amazed to see how some limit the freedom of expression demanding that the fascism be banned, but it does not say anything of prohibiting the communism that holds the world´s greatest genocide and continues being legal in many countries.
Please, that someone designs some reinforcement with fast-RAM of coherence.

Oh, I'm sorry, I did not mention in my reply: the communism, Pol Pot. Mao Ce Tung, Charles Manson, and thousand of other mass murderers.
Many countries ? North Korea. Cuba ? So-so. Before you reply on my country list, consider to open new thread about it.
And really, stop embarrassing yourself here. All we need here is some political heated discussion.
If you can not live without bashing me, again, open new thread about AtariZoll, and write there whatever want. Write there that he is mass murderer - in name of free speech. Then, when someone complains, Miguel (why I think that it is just another username for you ?) can defend you - and say that it is all OK, you have right to write whatever want.
One more for ignore list.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:10 am

And new comment from ... : https://youtu.be/hbKYGo8GDA4
It went straight in public area, without option to disallow, but there is no money for what I would disable that comment :D
Because it was actually better than if he/she'd signed paper with text: "I'm idiot" :lol:

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”