Norton Sucks Ass

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Norton Sucks Ass

Postby manicx » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:23 pm

New update in virus.gr. Also,

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/home.html

is another site to keep an eye...

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:59 pm

And this report is pretty scary. It's understandable that everybody overlooks the fact that virus scanners can be vulnerable, especially when they're built with lots of 3rd-party plugins (e.g. upx/zip/arj/rar/etc unpackers).

But the fact is, you can become automatically infected by a virus without running the infected program/trojan yourself; the virus scanner scans it automatically, but the file is designed to exploit a vulnerability in your virus scanner and you become infected.
That's a lot more dangerous than having no AV software and just being careful which programs you run...

Symantec is among the worst here, with about 32 vulnerabilities listed compared to 6 or 7 in FProt, AVG and BitDefender.
Personally, I think it serves AV vendors right for coding their products in languages as dangerous as C and C++, which are so vulnerable to buffer overflow mistakes. Nobody can code without mistakes. They should have written their scanners/plugins in a better programming language (e.g. Lisp).
tá'n poc ar buile!

Xcore
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Xcore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:40 pm

Norton?

Nah!!!!

Try this instead. :)

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 030falcon030 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:31 am

My dad had the free version of that on his pc, but since i got him a laptop i downloaded him the professional version that you should pay for (though it pains me to install any anti virus on any pc) Seems pretty good a lot better than gacky norton.
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb w/ ct63 + ctpci

PhatKnacker
Atarian
Atarian

Postby PhatKnacker » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:19 pm

I have built many computers, removed virus from loads,and been using computers for years. I have had some experience with norton, although in my opinion norton dose an adequate job in respect of virus protection it is not worth the hassle of getting constant attack warnings, that norton has admitted they actually send the "attack", according to them to constantly test their AV.
for the last 4 years I have been putting Avast AV (free version) on any computer i build and have not had one complaint about its performance. The boot scan is a great feature.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:41 pm

"PhatKnacker". Quality name!
tá'n poc ar buile!

MaLICiouS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MaLICiouS » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:54 pm

I honestly can't remember last time I had any AV software installed. I switched to Linux/*NIX about eight years ago and before that I had no internet connection. I remember having my Win95 system infected from a floppy once (I think I got FORM B, actually), but that's the only infection I've ever had. Now that I have a CT2 falcon with EtherNEC which I use for everyday browsing, I feel even more secure.

Oh, I got inspired by techie_alison, and I will dig out my old cam and take some pictures of my lair for you :)
Have to find it first, though ;P

Now it's bedtime, goodnight!
4MB 1040STe
4MB Mega/STE with FreeMiNT/XaAESm 40MB SCSI HD, 1.44M floppy
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD

gryhrstr
Atari User
Atari User

Postby gryhrstr » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:23 pm

I did used to use NAV. But as my system got older, NAV became more of a resource hog. Big time. Not only that, but month 12 of your subscription gives you constant security alerts because you haven't renewed yet. So you're always checking to see what the problem is only to find that it's a Nortons nag.

If you read something like MaximumPC, they routinely don't like programs that are an everything suite. Rather they recommend stand alone programs for each job. Do one thing good instead of trying to do everything poorly.

I run AVG free edition with it's constant upgrade nags. Threatfire for malware, no nagging. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Obviously not the perfect solution but pretty good for all that it's free. Plus the occasional scan with Search and Destroy without Teatimer.

If you get a message from some site saying you need a particular Codec,... :megaphone: Don't Do It!! Blow them off or you're just going to give them complete control of your computer.

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Well in my opinion the Internet is all down to common sense, just like life. Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to have it.

I've been using Spybot Search and Destroy + AVG free version for years. Never had any problems. Except years ago, before I knew any better with certain torrent files that had a virus inside.

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:43 pm

MaLICiouS wrote:Oh, I got inspired by techie_alison, and I will dig out my old cam and take some pictures of my lair for you :)
Have to find it first, though ;P

Oooh goody, I like being nosey. :D

AV, no AV? I have the solution. Run a version of runtime XP (it does exist, 'tiny' I think it's called) straight off of a CD, and use a RAMDISK as a swapdrive. There!! All satisfied!! You can definitely do it with Win98. ;-) XP doesn't particularly take too kindly to being poked and prodded.
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 030falcon030 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:38 pm

PaulB wrote:Well in my opinion the Internet is all down to common sense, just like life. Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to have it.

I've been using Spybot Search and Destroy + AVG free version for years. Never had any problems. Except years ago, before I knew any better with certain torrent files that had a virus inside.

That is exactly what I used when I was still stupid enough to use Windows (aptly named I always think - as meaning an open window for viruses and spyware... Almost as brilliantly named as Microsoft itself - named after Bill Gates' penis)
haha
micro & soft
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb w/ ct63 + ctpci

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”