The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Re: The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Postby wongck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:34 pm

thedavegray wrote:Would love to get my small stable of Atari's up and running but will need loads of help so be prepared
for some dumb questions. :D

Atari machines:
    TT
    Falcon
    STE 4160
    STE 520 (1mb)

Welcome Dave.
Nice selection of ATARI machines.
There no such thing as a dumb question.... fire away....

See you done some programming on Alphas. Was that on VMS or Tru64?
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby thedavegray » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:39 pm

wongck wrote:
thedavegray wrote:Would love to get my small stable of Atari's up and running but will need loads of help so be prepared
for some dumb questions. :D

Atari machines:
    TT
    Falcon
    STE 4160
    STE 520 (1mb)

Welcome Dave.
Nice selection of ATARI machines.
There no such thing as a dumb question.... fire away....

See you done some programming on Alphas. Was that on VMS or Tru64?

Hi,
Yeah been doing VMS development on Alpha & Vax for about 15 years. Like Atari it's an os that was never supported
properly which is a shame because it's rock solid.

Where in the far east are you?

Cheers
Dave
thedavegray
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby wongck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Well depending on the year, either north or south of South Asia.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby STranger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:51 am

Hello, Everybody

I'm Steven 19 years of age , and working as a DJ in the weekends. During the week I work in the summer on a BIG shovel . :lol:

I'm gonna try to get my Atari useful inside my Studio, (hard because never used 1 ) And i also like playing retro-games . :P

Forgive me if my english isn t that good, but here a good time to learn !
Atari Mega STE
STranger
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rompi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:56 am

Hi, I've come across this thread and I see it's still more or less alive, so I guess I should introduce myself as well:

So, my name is Jan, I work at a university as a researcher in the field of artificial intelligence and computational linguistics, I'm a big Atari fan and I can't solder ;-)

I've had Atari 800XL since 1991 and back in the 90's I was literally obsessed with it (lets say before 96-97). In those days I totally envied all those people with ST's, Falcons, and later Jaguars. Then I sort of abandoned the Atari world, only to occasionally dust off the good old 800XL, enjoy some demos (most often this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4L1YzyEOMg ) and then put it back to the wardrobe, promising to spend more time with it... It went like this until 2009, when I suddenly had a terrible attack of nostalgia and bought myself an Atari 1024STf. Then Atari Portfolio, then Atari 400, then - while being on a business trip in Chicago - Atari Lynx 1 and Atari 2600 "Heavy Sixer" (it was great fun at the Chicago Airport to pass the security check x-ray with a plastic bag containg this solid metal thing manufactured more than 30 years earlier in Sunnywale), then Atari Jaguar with 30 cartridges, then Atari 2600jr., then Atari 7800, then Jag CD, and then Atari Falcon. And here we go again with the Atari obsession, trying to catch up with what I've missed through all those years :-)

These days I'm exploring my "new" Falcon, trying to see how much it can offer. It's the original configuration (only 4MB RAM, no CTxx, ...), just a CF card instead of an old tired HDD, so I guess I can't cope with most of you guys with greatly upgraded machines. But I don't know if I should upgrade as well - because now it feels like it would almost 20 years ago. Maybe I should buy myself another Falcon, and try to upgrade that one as much as possible, but to be honest, these upgrades aren't that cheap and my wife isn't exactly sure if this is the right place to spend money. ;-)

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone, who will help me in future with my questions! I guess there'll be quite a few of them.
rompi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Shredder11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Regarding the Falcon, how much do wives go for these days on Ebay? Would it be enough to fund the new Falcon upgrade? :lol:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Foxxy74 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 am

Shredder11 wrote:Regarding the Falcon, how much do wives go for these days on Ebay? Would it be enough to fund the new Falcon upgrade? :lol:

Haha, you would be my HERO if you putted her up for Auction ...... :D
I for sure would be Shredded if my girlfriend found out I did that, she almost got a heartattack looking at my attic last week :P

And welcome at the club, questions keep the forum alive !! I also have LOTS :cheers:
Atari 260 ST (rainbow TOS) Atari Falcon 030 14 MB 32GB HDD ,Plextor 716A CD/DVD ,Atari 1040 STE (4MB)
Foxxy74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Postby rompi » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:17 pm

:-D

That sound like a plan! :-D

It reminds me one EC/MC tv commercial: Atari Falcon - 250 EUR; Jaguar Battlesphere factory sealed - 800 EUR; Good Advice - priceless...

I'm a member of this forum for just couple of days and it's already more than paying back!

So, what would the coolest Falcon upgrade be? I need some inspiration ;-)
rompi
Atarian
Atarian

Postby christos » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:55 pm

ct63 obviously, but without that a 14MB RAM upgrade will open a few worlds...
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby WillieSea » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:19 am

I have been gone for 4 years. Yeah, long time but here I am again. :lol:
I recently purchased "The Timelord's Handbook" for the game 'Time Bandit: The Arcade Adventure' and thought I should poke my head in the forum again since I was playing the Atari games again.

Anyway, howdy again. :)
Atari 2600, TI 99/4A, Atari 800 XL (modified), Atari 520ST, Atari 1040STFM, Numerous PC generations
WillieSea
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 am

Foxxy74 wrote:
Shredder11 wrote:Regarding the Falcon, how much do wives go for these days on Ebay? Would it be enough to fund the new Falcon upgrade? :lol:

...she almost got a heartattack looking at my attic last week :P

Yeah but when you open a wardrobe door to discover 50+ pairs of shoes and matching outfits, you are meant to just say nothing and accept it! Tsk!!! Double standards! :contract: :megaphone: :lol:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby maaarcooose » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 am

Hi everybody,

First post time for me.

I'm just getting my head back into Atari stuff as someone at work if donating a Mega ST2 to me soon. Apparently it doesn't work to well so I will be hanging around getting advice on how to fix.
Luckily for me there seems to be a fairly in depth post about fixing a dead Mega 2.

As for me, I used to mess with ST's back in the late 80's and early 90's. I had a 520 STFM upgraded to 1MB.
Eventually I expanded my collection of bits to an external hard disk, sampler cart, midi keyboard and a TG100 tone generator. I had plenty of fun making tunes with the tracker. Later I moved away from Atari stuff and onto PC's, using Fastracker.
Due to several moves and disk crashes, I have no idea what happened to my old collection of ST tunes and samples. Pity really because I really liked some of the stuff I made.
I seem to remember selling all my old Atari gear for not a lot of money some time ago.

These days on the computing front, I program PHP/HTML/Javascript, a bit of C, some assembler, run Win7, MacOS and Linux on my laptop, have 2 Silicon Graphics machines that I am also fixing (see http://www.nekochan.net which is my other main hangout) and generally try to pick up anything interesting I see and doesn't take up too much space. The wife doesn't like me having too much 'old crap' around though.
I'm not afraid to get my soldering iron out as I have built many guitar effects pedals over the years (oh yeah, I play guitar too) and I also once built a Theremin.

I work as an IT Engineer for a wind tunnel testing facility in the UK, building HPC clusters, writing software and holding the hands of people with PHD's who really should have more common sense. For some reason now, I have also become the telephone engineer.

I'd love to change to jobs to either full time musician, writer/journalist or film director. Writing takes most of my free time now.
I write novels, screenplays, haiku's and the occasional fan fiction screenplays. My current projects in this field are a Sci-Fi novel, some articles for overthinkingit.com, a screenplay and a collection of haiku / poems.

To be honest, most of everything takes a back seat to my wife and nearly 2 year old son who seems to get more amazing every day.

I look forward to annoying you all with my stupid questions.

!m!
maaarcooose
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Foxxy74 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:55 pm

maaarcooose wrote:I look forward to annoying you all with my stupid questions.

!m!

Stupid questions don't exist ! :cheers:

Welcome back ! :D
Atari 260 ST (rainbow TOS) Atari Falcon 030 14 MB 32GB HDD ,Plextor 716A CD/DVD ,Atari 1040 STE (4MB)
Foxxy74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Welsh Wizard » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:02 am

Not my first post as I found this after making it.

Been around Atari's since about the time the 800Xl was released, started of with one and a tape deck, this soon turned into about 4 800XL' with about 6 floppy drives, the first 800 turned into a 1024K machine with switchable OS board that allowed for standard OS, machine monitor , 80 Col display ,
Disk drives also went into hard ware hacks and ended up also with switchable on board Rom's, which gave me a happy drive, US doubler drive, Quad drive and standard drive,
soon added an Eprom blower and then added different cartridge stuff, in about 1987 I got my first STFM which went with me to Africa along with other Atari gear, then it went to NZ with my next move, where a few more ST's were added, in the mean time the first STFM went from 520K to 1040k and some extra drives were added, I was looking for the info to add an internal hard drive from a lap top but never found it, and they got parked up about 2000 when I got my first PC, which soon got hard ware hacked,
shortly after I founded a computer company constructing IBM compatibles until I retire and closed the business some years ago and got back into my hobby of collecting Old Motorcycles, the about three weeks ago I meet a youngster who was raving about the cost of old classic computers as he had seen a Commodore 64 on Fleabay, and this sparked my interest so I checked for any Atari stuff and found that more and more people were getting into the Older gear, so I decided I would have a look at my gear, the 8bits were easy to get going but the ST's though they fire up are giving mean trouble with the floppy drives and the floppies themselves have become rather hard to turn so I will have to make a splittable floppy case so I can split any floppies that are hard to turn and clean them up and the back them up. preferably to a hard drive if I can find a set up that allows for a hard drive interface.

Will be returning to the UK in 2012 all being well.

So if any one has any of the old BBS hardware hack files on how to fit a lap top hard drive into an STE or STFM let me know.
Welsh Wizard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Shredder11 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi and welcome to possibly the best Atari ST site on the web!

For BBS stuff DarkLord is your man here http://www.atari-forum.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1218

Have fun and we look forward to seeing more of you on here in 2012!
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Welsh Wizard » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 am

Cheers
Will have a look through his posts
Welsh Wizard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Durge » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:03 am

Hi,

My PC died today :( and I am having a trip down memory lane....
Durge
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DarkLord » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:32 am

Durge wrote:Hi,

My PC died today :( and I am having a trip down memory lane....

Then by all means, break out your Atari stuff and have at it my friend! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
An Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AnkhAngel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 am

Hello My name is AnkhAngel1 I am a nOOb to the Steem Maxymiser Emulator :megaphone:
AnkhAngel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cheveron » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:39 am

Hi,

I'm Cheveron. You may have seen my artwork on one of the Automation CDs, I forget which one but it says 'Home Cold Posse' (my fellow coder in that group was big into gangsta rap, and also an Amiga owner [boo hiss]).

I started out on the ZX Spectrum in 1984. My first hands on experience with an ST was seeing Ultima III running on a 1040 in a computer store. Got my first ST (520 single sided) in 1987. I think it was around 1989 when I bought the following setup new and upgraded by System Solutions/Atari Workshop :

Mega 1 ST, 4MB RAM, 40MB HD, high density disk drive, multisync monitor (all 3 modes on one display), stereo speakers (ACB sound), hardware overscan (got close to 800x600 in mono mode), blitter, math co-processor, 16Mhz 68000 (software clockable to 8Mhz for compatibility), Naksha mouse (the best I've ever owned), and a Konix Speedking joystick.

I remember it being able to do a full POV render over night. The fastest PC you could get at the time I bought it was something like a 12Mhz 286.

I switched to Macs in 1993 but kept on running ST software using MagicMac under the Classic OS. But with the move to Mac OS X that was pretty much the end.

Lately I've been addicted to Z80 coding and mucking about with the ZX Spectrum under emulation. I think with the last thing I wrote I've exhausted what I can usefully do with the machine, although I may do some Timex stuff at some point in the future. Currently writing a text adventure in Inform 7 for my MSc project (if they let me) but would love to contribute artwork to any new ST projects (if such things exist).

Cheers!

-Cheveron
cheveron
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Shredder11 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Brilliant intro there and very interesting! Welcome aboard! :cheers: Sounds like you had a monster of a system back in 1989!
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cheveron » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:01 am

Thanks. The Mega ST keyboards were the best you could get back then. A joy to type on.
cheveron
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gilles504 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:41 am

Hello,
I'm Gilles from France aged 39. My first atari was a 2600 around 1982, then a 520STF in 1988.
Then... I collected many other computers and a lot of ataris:
2600 PAL (x4)
400 NTSC
800 NTSC
600 XL
800 XL (x3)
7800 PAL (x2)
130XE
XEGS + keyboard
520ST
520STF & 1040STF (x3) + SH204
520STE (x2)
Lynx2 (x2)

I'm now mounting a low power PC in a dead 520STF case as my personnal webserver.
gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby weedomjolly » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi all, i'm kind of new hear! joined a few months ago, and i'm still trying to find my way round the forum! (i'm getting their slowly)
anyhow, my name is Dom i'm 46, a retired builder, i'm married have 4 kids, my first computer was a Atari st, i now have a 1040ste :)
and still love it! i have loads of games and stuff but i usually play Sim city (any help on how to keep housing costs down would be great)
Oh and i live in Glasgow Scotland! and i am BMW mad! i also help out on My Motiv.com yes it's a BMW owners car club!
if anyone is looking for games or any other software and i have it then i would be glad to help.
weedomjolly
Atarian
Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:01 am

gilles504 wrote:I'm now mounting a low power PC in a dead 520STF case as my personnal webserver.

Welcome Gilles504.
There's a thread on Atari st series computers conversion PC, may be useful for you to browse.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

PreviousNext

Return to Chat forum [ENG]