The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Re: The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Postby timcoupe » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks chaps, good to know some of you remember the games :cheers:

I got given my big break by Steve Bak (surely he needs no introduction :wink: ) - a mutual friend of ours introduced us to each other to play Midi Maze at Steve house, we used to get all the development ST's hooked up and play that game for hours... I showed Steve some of the demo's and code I'd been playing around with and got to know him quite well - he'd just finished 'Spitting Image' and asked me along for the ride when he took the gold master to the duplicators in London - he offered me a job in the car on the way. Chris Sorrell was also a local Derby(ish) lad, he was mainly focussing as an artist at the start, but could code too.

So, the original trio was complete in '88, creating games in a converted bedroom at Steve's house. I started coding Dogs of War, Chris was doing the graphics, and Steve was working on 'Fright Night'. We eventually moved to bigger premises where I finished off Fire and Brimstone and then left Steve and went freelance - the rest is a 20 year story.

Funny though, I *still* work with Steve at Eurocom where he still codest. Chris Sorrel ended up at Sony, not sure where he is now,or what he is doing; would be good to get together again at some point.

Anyway, enough rabble - I've decided that I'm going to attempt a Dogs of War 2, not too much change, but some new maps and weapons wouldn't go amiss - might need some art & audio assistance, but I'll start a thread up about it once I get my code assembling again

Tim.
timcoupe
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:04 pm

timcoupe wrote:...but some new maps and weapons wouldn't go amiss - might need some art & audio assistance...

I don't think there will be any problem with getting help with new music as the music scene is probably the most active one in the ST scene compared to the graphics scene wich you might get problem getting help with. Maybe you have some unused Dogs of War graphics to use?

Also i checked "Moby Games" and i see you worked for Malibu Interactive, so i wonder if you coded anything for the (unreleased) Megadrive version of "Time Trax"?
Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby timcoupe » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Yes, I did a little bit of code on Time Trax MD, nothing major. I remember playing around with some rotation ideas on a helicopter in one of the levels using V-Scroll offsets every 8 pixels and H-Scroll. I may have worked on the front end too. The main coder was a guy called Dave Pridmore - funnily enough, I am working with him again too. I spent most of my time on 3 Ninja Kids.

Probably have the Time Trax ROM somewhere......
timcoupe
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AB Positive » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:13 pm

New here and new to the Atari ST - and really new to older non-MSDOS computing save for the last year or so. I've been kicking around on AtariAge (for my A8 fix) and EAB (same - for Amiga) for the last year or so.

I'm learning basic 68K asm so that I'd have a shot at Sega Genesis and Amiga programming... but I'm expecting a 1040 STe in the mail soon and of course that's another 68K machine! :D

So hello all - I've no Amiga related bias against the ST as that scene didn't exist around me growing up - I'm from the northeast US so while most of Europe had the Atari/Commodore fight, we had Sega v. Nintendo. (BTW - I'm a Sega girl :P )

I've kind of been dying to get an ST, I've seen videos of game differences between the two and while yes the graphics are usually better on the miggy I actually *love* the ST sound. Can't wait to muck around with sound programming when I get mine in! :D

-AB
AB Positive
Atarian
Atarian

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Welcome to the forum ABpositive :wink: I'm sure whatever you need to know about the ST can be found here 8)
And for the record everyone knows that the SNES beats the Megadrive anyday :mrgreen:
RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby AtariSince1989 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:34 am

AB Positive wrote:I'm learning basic 68K asm so that I'd have a shot at Sega Genesis and Amiga programming... but I'm expecting a 1040 STe in the mail soon and of course that's another 68K machine! :D

Hi and welcome AB Positive,

where are you learning 68K asm from? I'm kind of interested too, but didn't find any decent documentation, a part from the tutorials on the Wiki.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers. :cheers:
- Atari 520 STe 4MB RAM + TOS 2.06 + UltraSatan
- Atari Falcon030 14MB RAM + TOS 4.04 + IDE-SD card HDD + NVRAM mod + SCSI buffer clock mod + EtherNEC
- Amstrad CPC 6128 + HxC USB Floppy Emulator
- Acorn A3010 4MB RAM + 40MB IDE HDD

Atari ST Essential software (The List)
My FTP Server: http://www.datavase.info/FTPserver (only from Midnight to 8am UK Time)
My music at http://soundcloud.com/datavase/
AtariSince1989
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Manic Miner » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Hello all,
I was a dedicated STer from the mid 80's to the early 90's. I still have two or three machines somewhere, but it's been a long time since they saw the light. I found your forum while I was looking for something else and just wanted to say hello.
My fave games were Dungeon Master, Elite, Colonial Conquest - stuff like that. I wrote a few PD titles that were put out by LAPD but nothing very special.
Now I'm going to have to dig in the garage and see what I've got left.

BTW, with regards to the spammer trouble you've had on the board - you have my sympathies. I've operated a PHB forum (local history and chat) for a few years and sometimes it's been a real pain in the a**e with all the spammers. I still get about fifty a day.

Anyway, glad I found your forum.
:D
Manic Miner
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Harrison » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi Everyone.

Thought I would introduce myself. I'm known online as Harrison and come from Hampshire in the UK. I'm a Multimedia developer and Web Designer, working Freelance. I'm also the owner and developer of http://www.classicamiga.com and its forums, and also host and develop http://www.amibay.com, working alongside a great bunch of staff on Amibay (come visit as it's a great free alternative to evilbay).

I know what some might be thinking. Why is the developer of an Amiga site posted on an ST site?... Well...

...I was actually an ST owner before owning Amigas. In the mid 80's I'd been using 8-bit systems for a few years (BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC..) and I was reading loads of computer magazines, following the development of the Atari ST very closely and really wanted one. Eventually by Christmas 1987 I finally had enough money saved, plus some for Christmas from my parents, and purchased a 520 STFM. The STFM was then my main computer until the end of 1989, when I jumped ship and moved over to the Commodore Amiga, mainly for image editing, animation and video work. But also for gaming, which no one denies it did have better capabilities for.

Whilst in my personally view the Amiga was superior, I've however always been impressed with Atari ST programmers and how much they managed to optimise their code to squeeze so much from the CPU for games, without the backup of dedicated co-processors (which the Amiga had). And I know some cross platform ST games even ended up being better than the Amiga versions. Captain Blood being a great example of this in audio terms.

My original STFM finally died when the PSU blew and took the system with it in about 1992. That was then sold for spares years ago. I did continue to enjoy ST games and software via emulation, first on the Amiga, and more recently on the PC. However last year (2009) I had the opportunity to obtain a free STFM again, in very good condition, so I jumped at it to relive some old memories, as using real hardware is always a much better experience than any form of emulation, and also to explore the ST's Demo Scene, which whilst I know was never as big as the Amiga's, still produced some great productions worth watching, which I mostly missed in my original ST years.

And after a few weeks playing around with the new STFM I decided to look for an STE as I'd wanted one back in the late 80's but couldn't afford one at the time. Eventually I found a very nice STE on ebay, boxed in near perfect condition with very little discolouration to the case, and already fitted with 4MB Ram.

I then obtained some 11 pin ST video connectors and have made some video cables up. One an RGB Scart cable, and the other to connect the ST to an Amiga monitor. Back in the day I only had a 14" TV and connected the ST via RT cable, so now connecting to a real monitor, or to a TV via RGB scart it is a huge improvement.

I know that there were quite a few exclusive games released for the ST over the years, or those which never got ported to the Amiga, so during my Amiga years I missed out on some of them. So this is a great opportunity for me to catch up and explore these releases. I've created a list of these games ready to start exploring.

I've also since obtained some 2.06 roms and am in the process of working out how to get those working. Just found out I need to get the soldering iron out to fit some jumpers for that to work as the STE currently has 1.62 and the 0ohm resistors fitted. Will do that tomorrow if I get time. Ideally however I would like to eventually have some larger EPRoms in the STE with 2.06 and 1.62 switch-able. If anyone can help with that please let me know?

Then, I want to look into fitting a HDD, or maybe one of those SD card options. But will ask about that elsewhere once I get to that point.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I've known about and visited these forums for a long time, referencing things whilst emulating STs, but thought I would finally start using the forums now I have some real ST hardware again. See you around the forums.

I hope you all had a great Christmas, and a Happy New Year to everyone!
Harrison
Atarian
Atarian

Hello to the sexy people (j/k)

Postby carmel_andrews » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Didn't notice this thread here till recently (since about the time i did the thread about vectronix disks), anyways on with the Brief intro

name is Carmel (as per my screen name, don't believe in hiding behind pseudonyms)

Born, Bred and still live in London (born in one part of Islington, now live in another part of Islington)

Just had my 40th (2 saturday's ago) so i am officially a middle aged bloke....just waiting to the things start falling out or falling off

Bought my very first ST back in 1987, ex demo single sided version from pilot software (near the west end sorting office, off oxford street and tottenham court road), the blokes in pilot were nice peeps and we got on well (they reminded me of silica shop, but didn't just do atari things)

Later upgraded to a double sided version a little later, gave the single sided version away to an atari contact i knew in ashord, kent a few years later, about 1996 I clapped eyes on a sort of working STe for about 25 quid in a car booter, had someone at the user group i was with (L A C E) fix it for me and add a tos switcher and an additional tos, think it was tos 2x)

A few years later that failed on me (died) gave that away as spares (along with a happy discovery cart for 20 quid, never used the cart anyway)

I only bought a little bit of software for the ST (about 20 or so items) sold them to someone I used to work with, only got part of the money we agreed, unfortumately i never got into the 'scene' i .e boot menu pirate discs, until i experienced the joys of emulation and whole collections on cd

Nowadays i am ST less (i know, bad me) but still re live those days through emulation and a growing hard drive directory of ST and MSA software images, those crackers/coders certainly knew how to push the ST (the people making the menus/cracking the games that is)

Outside the ST I own 3 working XE’s and an upgraded XL, like many people here i did stray of the golden path and taste the ‘forbidden fruits’ like c64, speccy 48,plus, 128, and plus 2, apple 2 clone (blew that up within 20 minutes of getting it home) both versions of the atari lynx, atari jaguar, BBC (not sure what model) MSX (not sure what brand/model) Amstrad cpc 464 with green scr. Monitor, an amoeba 600 and 2 1200s (1200's not at the same time) and an Memotec MTX 512

I don’t own any non atari stuff now (apart from a couple of working pc’s)

I hope that is enough
carmel_andrews
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Dodgy King » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:33 am

Hey ppl, erm i think some of you will know who i am, im from Dodgysoft Inc Crew.... was looking around for some of our menus as i didnt keep any of them and i came to this forum, nice forum lads keep up the great work, for those of you that dont know we now release dvds full of Appz these days, aslo some midi stuff, anyways i dont wanna go on and on, thanks for keeping our menu going strong ;)
if(!$drunk)
$beer++;
if(!$php_mysql_knowledge)
$dont_run_tracker = true;

Dodgysoft Inc Rulez!!!!!
Dodgy King
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Yorkiebusdriver » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Well, might as well say hiya. Born & bred in Yorkshire, a third of my way thru my thirties with rapildy expanding grey hair...

Been a BIG Atari fan for many a year..Started in the very early 80s with the classic 2600 'woody', then went over to the dark side of computing with the classic Speccy 48 with the rubber keys...Then, was back into the Atari fold with the good old 800XL, of which I used to spend many an hour typing in games from Atari User mag and a book I bought. I then graduated onto the good old 520STFM in around 88 ish. The very same machine, unmodded is still working happily today. Around 1991 ish, I had a Lynx and a few games, plus case, which I ended up selling to a mate, after he pesterd me for it...Spent the cash on a sega Game Gear..(already had a Mega Drive with Game Genie cheat cart & master system converter)..BIG MISTAKE. The Lynx was a superior machine.

I also bought an A600 1 meg machine..What a pile of steaming (insert choice expletive here)...Kept it for about 6 months, then sold that to another mate who's A500 had died...For more than what i paid.The Amiga had slightly sharper graphics and beter sound, but compatability issues with early games was a right royal pain in the rectum. Half the pirate games wouldnt work..ARGH. Actually sold the A600 for a small profit..(One born every minute), then went back to the ST...Was one of the first mugs in the UK to buy a Playstation (was good for its time, and yes, that still works and is set up, along with a 2nd hand PS2 that works whenever it feels like it). My living room is turning into the games room, much to the annoyance of the missus, especially when I go on the rampage in 'The Getaway' on the PS2.

I also have this little battery operated console (1 player) that has 127 built in games, many of which are old Activision titles for the 2600. It is called the Super TV Boy by Systema...

Dug the ST out of my dad's loft a few weeks back, and was pleased to say the old beast works. I remember why it was 'lofted' though..MOUSE PORT! Had problems with that from more or less day 1, and I know I was not alone with this problem. Tok the beast apart and had a looksee, couldnt see owt wrong with the connections.Hmm head scratch...Found the mouse would work if I pulled the lead slightly downwards..Wedged a lego brick underneath the mouse plug so it was angled downwards, and now works perfectly..much Joy...

Now I even have an emulator for the ST thanks to a good mate on the wrong side of the big hills...(those from England may know what I'm on about, esp those in Lancashire & Yorkshire), and found an old French site with shedloads of games on including Automation & Pompey Pirates menus to download..Emulator isn't perfect, as many games dont work, but i'm happy enough.... Just need a joystic for the PC.(Emulator is STEW btw)

Nice welcome from one or 2 of you already, and one has already sorted me an old Pompey Pirates menu for the old girl. Never before have i been on such a welcoming and helpful forum.
ST's rule, Amiga's drool

Yorkie
Yorkiebusdriver
Atariator
Atariator

Postby lavaburn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Hey guys,

I'm lavaburn aka. d0pefish (on YouTube and various other sites). I'm based in Bristol, UK - originally from Newcastle.

I'm a new Atarian, having recently picked up a 1040STe out of curiosity, and a want to find out what things were like "on the other side" :)

I have been an Amiga/Commodore user all my life, and own an A4000 which I love, fully upgraded with 060, PPC board and PCI bus etc, but I fancied going back to basics, rediscovering and appreciating the old, original stuff. I love the C64 too and get many hours of fun out of it.

My main interests in these old machines is the music side, and I'm talking about chiptunes, the native sound hardware etc. I love the Amiga's Paula and all the digital-sampled ProTracker tunes, as well as the software synthetic trackers like AHX and FutureComposer, but I have a soft spot for real, hardware sound generators like the C64's SID, and I'm coming to love the Atari's YM. I love the fact that on the STe, you have this AND the DMA sample channels... a very cool and unique setup. So I'm currently learning the ins and outs of maxYMiser and the YM chip in general, and having a lot of fun in doing so. :)

So, the Atari is giving me the ideal, old-school music platform, a simple sound chip with plentiful power behind it. I'm also appreciating its extensive library of old games and demoscene productions.

I would probably consider myself as a scener, but level my involvement is very small, although I hope to contribute more as time goes by. I have written a few modules on the Amiga which you can see on one of my YouTube videos, and I hope to get some involvement in the Atari soon as I learn more.

I can't wait for my UltraSatan to arrive, which will compliment my 4MB and soon-to-be finished QuadTOS upgrade nicely I hope. I'm a bit of a solder-fiend, so thanks to some of the helpful guides by the likes of Simbo I've discovered here, I will be recapping my PSU and motherboard soon to give another 20 years of reliable and fun service I hope. :D

Cheers :)
lavaburn
Atari User
Atari User

Postby birdy-scc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 am

I am 'the incomparable birdy'.

:D
birdy-scc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Marakatti » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 am

Welcome, always nice to see real ST pioneers here :cheers:
Admin of http://www.atarimania.com ST / Falcon section.
- Over 1900 original ST software titles archived with Pasti - Megathanks to all contributors!
- Over 1700 downloadable ST/Falcon/TT demos with details!
Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby JLPedro » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:18 am

Hi, I'm Jorge Pedro, from Portugal.
Never owned a real Atari, only used emulation (mostly Steem), but now got holds of an Falcon 030 4MB and soon to arrive 520 STe (1MB).
Hope to make some friends here and learn alot more about the Atari ST and Falcon. :cheers:
JLPedro
Atariator
Atariator

Postby wongck » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 am

JLPedro wrote:Hi, I'm Jorge Pedro, from Portugal.
Never owned a real Atari, only used emulation (mostly Steem), but now got holds of an Falcon 030 4MB and soon to arrive 520 STe (1MB).
Hope to make some friends here and learn alot more about the Atari ST and Falcon. :cheers:

welcome on board.
:cheers:
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby AtariMega125 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Lets see, I got my first Atari ST, a 1040ST with color monitor, around 1989 and played around with music sequencing and the primitive but interesting color graphics. My roommates were always sneaking into my room to play games on the ST when I wasn't home. Got another 520 ST about a year later with a mono monitor and gave away the 520 but kept the monitor. In the early 90s, Atari was selling it's software development kit for around $100 and I bought one and played around with writing C and assembly. I wrote a sysex storage utility for that worked for the synths that I had at the time. At around that time I got an Amiga 2500 with, wonder of wonders, a hard drive, which took over the graphics that I was doing and the Atari color monitor went into storage. I started to write a simple sequencer in a mixture of C and 68000 assembly which I got working on a pre alpha level but as I was compiling code one night, the 1040 died a sudden death and nothing I could do would resurrect it. I haven't tried coding anything much since then so the Atari ST is the only machine I have ever tried to code for.

I played around with Atari ST emulators for a while starting around the year 2000 and 3 years ago, I bought a huge box of Atari ST stuff on ebay which included a Mega 2 in a Mega 4 case, Notator with the dongle, and the adscsi micro host adaptor with the internal HD mounting kit. I managed to put everything together and took the 2mb memory upgrade I had installed on my 1040 ST, desoldered the sockets for the memory chips, soldered them onto the MB of the Mega 2, added the neccessary resistors and capacitors from the MB of my dead 1040 ST and transformed the Mega 2 into a the Mega 4 which its case says it is and started to use Notator in my music studio.

Last month, I acquired another Mega 4 and a Mega 4 STE so now I'm really back into the world of Atari again.
A Mega 4 and a Mega 4 STE. Used primarily to run Clab Notator and a few other MIDI utilities.
AtariMega125
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Desty » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 am

AtariMega125 wrote:I started to write a simple sequencer in a mixture of C and 68000 assembly which I got working on a pre alpha level but as I was compiling code one night, the 1040 died a sudden death and nothing I could do would resurrect it. I haven't tried coding anything much since then so the Atari ST is the only machine I have ever tried to code for.

Ack, that's a terrible shame! Do you still have the code, and have you tried messing about with it again? Coding is great fun! Glad to hear you've picked up some decent machines now. :)
tá'n poc ar buile!
Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby AtariMega125 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:24 am

Yeah, I still have the code in a folder of very disoganized files with an assortment of binarys. The best one is the second to last one I compiled. I did it all on floppies and there might of been a fIoppy or 2 lost but I have most of what I did. I look at a print out of it now and then and try to make sense of it but it's been a long time and I'm way to busy now to give it much attention. As much as I'd like to work on it again, I have much more pressing unfinished projects.
A Mega 4 and a Mega 4 STE. Used primarily to run Clab Notator and a few other MIDI utilities.
AtariMega125
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby spacerman » Mon May 10, 2010 12:55 am

Hi, I never had an Atari computer since this last week,but always liked to play Atari games on my 2600 , and now I'm a happy owner of a 520stfm. I grow up with the sound of the AY-8912 of my spectrum +2 and it's very strange to me to see many games on the Atari ST, with the same tunes of the speccy versions but with better and coloured graphics, or games very close in the graphical part, to the pc version like Lotus III, but with beatiful and familiar chiptunes :D

PD:I'm from Spain, i don't speak very fluid in english, sorry :oops:
spacerman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby phil4 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:27 pm

Started out computing with a ZX81 my parents bought aged around 6. A younger brother and a screwdriver finished that prematurely (the ZX81, not me). For a number of years my parents and I used a Commodore +4, which was ok.

My dad was a school teacher, and the school had a suite of about 20 Atari STs, mainly 520STFMs but a couple of 1040STFMs, and one Mega4 they kept in the IT office. Luckily for me, my Dad was able to bring home a computer from work (which I pestered him to do) at weekends and over holidays. For many years, I got the hang of GEM and played Ranarama, and mucked around with DegasElite.

In 1991 (I'd have been about 13) my parents bought a MegaSTE, with 4 Megs of RAM and a 48Mb harddrive. A colour (Phillips) and mono monitor. In the years that followed I used it for all sorts. Programming in GFA Basic, demos, games ST Format coverdisks as well, and a mix of chip tunes and mods. I learned to use a decompiler to rip simple chip tunes, and got involved with writing a game SkyDuel with some others at school (http://www.atari.st/view.php?id=2669).

My next door neighbor was friends with (I think I got the name write) Chris Holland, who was involved with putting together Maggie, and certainly a useful contact.

I tinkered a lot with PovRay and raytracing, though waiting overnight to see your 320x240 pic, certainly took a lot of patience. I went along to one of the ST shows at the Birmingham motorbike museum, which was rather cool, picked up a 68882 and dropped it into my computer, and after a recompile of Povray things went swimmingly.

Back then, I had a 2400baud dial up modem, flow control didn't seem to work (Think it was the OS's fault), and mainly used BBS and Delphi, much to the annoyance of my parents who got some whopping phone bills. I also remember getting it up and on the internet (I'd got a faster 9600 baud modem by then) using CAB amongst others.

Plenty of patience was something I had then, and don't have so much of now.

I headed off to uni in 1996, and took the MegaSTE with me. Met Anthony Jacques and Mark Crutch, and amongst the usual bits and pieces mainly Anthony wrote some erm, debatable stuff (http://www.btinternet.com/~anthonyj/Ata ... index.html).

My Atari got retired (I still have it, along with and 1040STFM I rescued from the skip with the school went PC), in around 1998, and though I dig it out now and again, PC's are my main tool.

This seemed to be an era when there wasn't much I didn't know about the Atari ST, tried lots, knew lots, and knew people. Almost a golden age from me, as now I realise in the PC/IT world how little the niche I'm in is.

So after uni, (4 years of computer science), I went on to be an ASP programmer, learned lots about networking and DBs on the job, and moved over to Systems Manager, though still did ASP development. Quit that job, and now work as IT Director for a 2 years old IT startup. Good fun.

Married, sprog baking, due Nov. Though uni was in Manchester, live down in Oxfordshire.

I'm still a bit of a geek, but like cars too, and in honesty always intrigued by how things work, whether car engines, clocks or computers.

I still ticker with some of the same stuff I used to, game and apps. What else, I'm 32, 5'10" and male. My favorite game of all time, was and still is Mercenary II: Damocles.

Hope this wasn't too much, as mentioned this was a great era in my life, and set me up with some IT know-how that's seen me good so far.
Last edited by phil4 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
1040 STFM | Mega-STE 4Mb, 68882, 48Mb HDD, TOS 2.05! | Falcon 030, 14Mb, 68882, 4Gb HDD
phil4
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:21 pm

That was a really interesting mini biog there Phil and a big warm welcome to these forums. Actually I never did my own introduction here as I just got stuck into posting right away and then then the introduction seemed a bit pointless, so maybe I should do one when I find a suitable time and I can remember a few things etc.
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby scorpion-techno » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:28 am

Hi All,

I owned an STFM & STE between 1988 - 1991 (mefinks) before moving on to the PC (too early maybe). I regretfully got rid of all my ST stuff over the years which is a shame as I had well over a thousand disks, but they took up too much space and I never had a mechanism to move them onto other media at the time. So I use STEEM nowadays to look back at the old scene with fond memories.

I've popped in occasionally to view this forum from time to time over the years and finally took the plunge to join on a nostalgia trip :).

I was not a major player in the scene back then, but like most guys did distribute disks via snail mail with various people around the country and Europe. I got most of my stuff off Hal and Editman and also got myself a modem and downloaded some myself. I also went to a few of the clubs that were running at the time, Leeds, just the once with Editman. Oldham, a few times and I seem to recall that one of the Pompey Pirates went there (Pacman?). I also regularly frequented the Chester and Wirral computer clubs.

I was briefly a member of Awesome in their early days, but that was right before I sold up and moved on.

I also really enjoyed the demo scene back then with groups constantly trying to 'out do' each other, esp TCB & TLB.

Ahh, those crazy days of fastcopy permanently loaded on your machine and Dungeon Master, Kick Off & Sensible Soccer. Happy Days!
scorpion-techno
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Falcon030 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Greetings, I'm Paul and I live in herts, a full time dad/delivery driver/mk1 golf fanatic and allotment holder...

wicked site, keep it up . :)
Many STs, Many Amigas, Many old cars, lots of records and a FALCON.. :-D
Falcon030
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Volkswagen Golf Mk1...very nice car indeed! I myself have something less cool but I like it nonetheless, a Peugeot 306 2.0 XSi.
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

PreviousNext

Return to Chat forum [ENG]