The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Jarf
Atari User
Atari User

Re: The Obligatory 'Introduce Yourself Thread'...

Postby Jarf » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi.

accxess
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby accxess » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:48 am

Hi Jarf!

Tell us about yourself :)
/Tobias
There is NO need for more than 16 colors

flanny
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby flanny » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:33 pm

Tobias Hmmm.... I remember a chap with that name, he also did lots of graphics esp startrek stuff.

Back then i am sure i heard that he was asked to help out with some more serious startrek stuff.

Not sure if you know him or if it was true but i def remember it.

Anyway my name is Michael & i hung out a bit With Lawrence "The Law" of Automation & a STOS group called I.R.S. always using the name "Flanny".

Good times.

I spend a lot of my retro times now with the C64 culture mainly based around the SID tunes & remixes.

Mike
Retro

Jarf
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jarf » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:05 pm

Strange the mention of the IRS, Risca crew.

Anyway other than that I still play around with some stuff...
Last edited by Jarf on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

flanny
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby flanny » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Jarf wrote:Strange the mention of the IRS, Risca crew.

Why is that? 8)
Retro

Jarf
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jarf » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:24 pm

Not strange per se, just didn't think anyone else heard of them.
:D
Last edited by Jarf on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

flanny
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby flanny » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I was in the i.r.s when it started :wink:

I remember people from back then like....

Nookey
Tucker
Kyle
Stumpy
etc....

mikey2001
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mikey2001 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi, i'm Mike - I've owned my 520STFM since 1992 and played many games on it over the past 17 years, it is still going strong as well! I am thinking about adding an STE to my collection soon! :D
520 STFM (upgraded to 1mb)

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi folks, I'm scott and I've been into ataris for as long as I can remember, I've just got hold of a 520ST so thought I'd check out the forum and catch up on all things 16bit atari. I also collect 8bit ataris, Amigas, 3DO, Apple macs, PCengine, Famicom and lots of other stuff too.
Music gear
Falcon 030 14MB, Cubase Audio, Soundpool FA8,FDI, MAudio 88 keystation, Roland S750, Yamaha A5000, Roland JV1080, Yamaha MG10, 1040STE, ZX Spectrum 128k.

https://soundcloud.com/softkitty123

3AtariSTE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby 3AtariSTE » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi, i'm Maurizio and live in Sardinia (Italy)

My Atari passion started in the 1985, with a gift...an Atari 800XL.
I've used it for 5 years, than i have sold it for an new Amstrad PC2086, than my first 386SX40, Pentium 166 MMX and in last, PIII 1ghz (cusl-2 mobo) that i use everyday.
In 2002 started my collection buying an Atari 130XE, than an Atari 1040STE (today i've 4 STe), 1 Atari 1040STF, and in last...an fantastic Atari Falcon030.
Many peripherals of course, touch tablet, light pen, 1050 disk drives, XF551, PeST PS2 mouse adapter (thx Alison), 14Mb Wizztronic (F030), cartridges, DVD collections, and many more...
I make myself an website, but it's not completed (still in progress): http://ataricomputers.altervista.org/index.html

Maurizio
2xAtari 130XE+XF551+1050+XC11+XC12+SIO2PC+TouchTablet+LightPen+Philips CM8833II
Atari 1040STf (Boxed) + Atari 520STe + 5xAtari 1040STe 4Mb + 1x Jaguar....
Atari Italian Site: http://www.ataricomputers.altervista.org
Atari Italian Forum: http://ataricomputers.mastertopforum.net/

amigakit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby amigakit » Mon May 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello Everyone!

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Mon May 25, 2009 4:50 pm

amigakit wrote:Hello Everyone!

Hello you! Nice to see another member of the cream case brigade coming over for a visit.

VHS
Atariator
Atariator

Postby VHS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 am

My name is tunnan, i have an atari 1040ste
im the one with black viking helmet wig in his video :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFImJhF7fKQ

Lou
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Lou » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey, I'm Kirsty Louise.
Hopefully studying computer science at Cardiff Uni in september.

Just bought my ST a couple of weeks ago :D .

Uncle Gilmour
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Uncle Gilmour » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:08 am

Hello, my name's Alex though for I've usually gone by my surname. I tried going by my debit card details once but that wasn't wholly successful.

Anyway apart from having a track record in bad attempts at humour I'm 18, a fan of ataris throughout my life, I played on such classics as Captain Dynamo and Grandad's Quest for the Holy Vest from ages 3 to 7 til I dumped it for a playstation. I've always wanted to go back so I've recently got hold of two ataris - one with a bit of a damaged internal disk drive, being it's a 1040ste, and another a 520st seemingly needing a working external disk drive. However, I have absolutely no technical wherewithal or understanding whatsoever, so I'm probably at best a greenhorn, at worst a complete hopeful idiot. So I don't know what I could gain in respect to that problem from coming here, but hopefully it will help me get the experience back I had when I started playing as a toddler.

Sauron
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Sauron » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 am

Wow, it's been a long time since I've come around these parts, but may as well introduce myself anyway...

Some of you may recognize me as Sauron (well, duh), the creepy global moderator over at AtariAge who loves abusing his authority and locking threads on a whim. :)

In all seriousness, I've been a long-time Atari fan dating back to the heyday of the 2600. My love for Atari flourished when my parents bought me an Atari 130XE back in 1985, and then bloomed into all-out obsession when I traded the ol' 8bit in for a 520ST in 1991. I went through numerous ST systems back in the day and stayed true to it (and to Atari) to the bitter end. Now, I'm yet another one of those crazy folks who cling to their old systems of yesteryear. My current systems include several 2600s, a 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, and a Falcon. Unfortunately, I recently moved to Las Vegas and all of my Atari gear is holed up in storage back in Texas. Seems like I'll be redownloading STeem again. Anyways, I'm too ugly to post a pic up here, so deal. :)

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:15 pm

ohhh.no...not YOU!>>please you know f-all about anything retro or anything Atari for that matter!... :roll: ...Muguk won't stand your trolling for long...

Greyfox™
↓↓Click Banner to See More↓↓
-== Making Atari great once more ==-

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:59 pm

mikey2001 wrote:Hi, i'm Mike - I've owned my 520STFM since 1992 and played many games on it over the past 17 years, it is still going strong as well! I am thinking about adding an STE to my collection soon! :D

About dang time you upgraded Mike! :D
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:05 am

I recently downloaded a Steem emulator. I used to own an ST (520 STE) back in the early nineties, but I never really got into it in a big way (the lure of the Sega systems was too great). Over the last six months, I've developed quite a strong interest in retro-computers; I own an Amiga 600HD, a C64 and eight Commodore VIC-20s (the VIC is probably the one I'm most passionate about).

I'm tempted to buy another ST, if I can find one at the right price. I think Steem is a magnificent emulator (although the joystick setup is a bit awkward -- most emulators these days allow you to plug in and play without any problems).

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 pm

English Invader wrote:I recently downloaded a Steem emulator. I used to own an ST (520 STE) back in the early nineties, but I never really got into it in a big way (the lure of the Sega systems was too great). Over the last six months, I've developed quite a strong interest in retro-computers; I own an Amiga 600HD, a C64 and eight Commodore VIC-20s (the VIC is probably the one I'm most passionate about).

I'm tempted to buy another ST, if I can find one at the right price. I think Steem is a magnificent emulator (although the joystick setup is a bit awkward -- most emulators these days allow you to plug in and play without any problems).

First of all: welcome! :D

Second of all: 8 Vic-20s? That's an awful lot!

Third: I hear what your saying about plug 'n' play being convenient, but I find the configurable joysticks in Steem really good. You can easily switch platformers to a control scheme where a button is assigned to jump. Similarly, with racing games I much prefer to accelerate with the button. Specific games: nice to have a button to change ship in Xenon, activating specials in Turrican games, and setting up the second stick to be the face buttons on my pad means I can easily move and fire in eight directions simultaneously in a game of Llamatron.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Lander
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Lander » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Hej Everyone!

Im new here, so I figured this is the place to say 'hi' :cheers:

I recently aquired a boxed Atari ST FM, so I am looking to expand my knowledge of this machine and get involved :)

I have a host of other systems including:

Commodore 128
SNES
NES
Amiga 500
Commodore Plus/4 (with 1551 drive)
PC Engine Core Grafx
Epson HX-20
Sega Megadrive (and powerbase converter)
Dragon32
XBOX (modded for emulators etc)
Sega Dreamcast
Gameboy (original)
NDS

and probably some other junk that I cant remember! If anyone wants any information about these on an off-topic convo (or any help etc) please do not hesitate to ask.

Well, here is hoping that the ST trip will be a good one!

Lander.

timcoupe
Atarian
Atarian

Postby timcoupe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi All,

Stumbled across this forum, relighting my passion with the ST and this site is fuelling it big time :mrgreen:

I was a game coder, back in the day, and the ST was and always will be my favourite machine...so much so, I've just secured a nice clean ST and will be getting my coding gloves back on again and 'tinkering' :lol:

Some games I wrote, which I hope some of you will remember:

- Dogs of War
- Fire and Brimstone
- Welltris
- Sim City Terrain Editor
- Liverpool

plus some unreleased experiments.

Anyway, looking forward to spending time on the forum and getting my old code assembling again :cheers:

Tim

shampoo59890
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby shampoo59890 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Hey there

Sorry, posted before seeing that there was an 'introduce yourself' thread. Well...

French guy, 37 years old. My father and I were one of the very first to embark in the french ST affairs in the 80's. Father wrote professional softwares at this time using Superbase, GFA or C if I remember well. I was mostly found of gaming and GFA. Never touched 68k assembler before going to university where I got superior grade in electronics. And guess what ? Job opportunities and military obligations (we were obliged to stop our life for a dull and totally useless 10 months period in France at this time) made that I've never worked in electronics ! :D

I was one of the very first guy to put my mits on a Falcon 030, which is gone down the drain since at least 13 years now. My machine was delivered Dec 24th 1992 and serial number was #14. The motherboard was still in 'dev state' since there were wires running all over here and there to debug signals timings I think. One night there was a 'puff' noise and some smoke...

And well, life went on and I quit the Atari world for the Amiga scene in 1994 thru 2002 when I switched to PC under Win 98 OSR2. Really fed up with Windows in 2007, I switched to Linux for 2 years before going on the Mac late 2008. Mac ? The ultimate UNIX machine ! I forgot you to tell that I was more or less following the Atari scene news from time to time, just to see. I was (and I 'm still) very impressed by Rodolphe Czuba's works.

Late one night, I downloaded Hatari for Mac and searched for 68k Atari tutorials and found Perihelion ones. Downloaded Devpac from DHS website and I was hooked again. Damn, how could I have forgotten all the 68k sensations ? Like the Nespresso ad : What else ? Struggling with obsolete docs and bits of code for 2 weeks to make an image scroll, using the STE hardware. Hey made some time to understand the 'LINEWID' parameter which is an offset to add to video pointer to get next line start. Yeah dudez, it's not explained *that way* A.N.Y.W.H.E.R.E. When scrolling set it to zero, when not scrolling, add 1 word * number of planes. Dhuuuu ? Yellow_Hot_Colorz_PDT_30

Emulation is good but nothing compares to the real hardware ! I told my father about my reviving passion for the good ole' ST thinggy and he was pretty amused about it. He had too some great programming time on the machine. One day he made me the surprise to bring at my home a 1040 STE with SC1435 color monitor he found on a local sale ! I was like a kid the Christmas morning dudez !

Wife is pretty amused too. "How could you put side to side the two Macs and this .... thing ? And it' green and yellow, looks old and dirty !". The years have made the plastic case turn in some strange color, not the grey between #333 and #555 that I remember. My 13 yo son now calls it "the precious". Good boy.
iMac Core 2 duo / White MacBook Core 2 duo /
4Mb STE multitos'ed with 1.62/2.06 + Megafile 60

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zorro 2 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 am

... And welcome on this board mister MetalSeb ! it's a bit late... I confess :roll:

Your project to de something on an Atari STE is progressing well :?:
Member of NoExtra Team

shampoo59890
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby shampoo59890 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Uh Oh ? Metalseb ? Damn, unmasked by the masked hero !

Well, I'm still on the learning curve :coffe: even though things are getting clearer every day. There is another coder in the steprog_fr@freelists.org who is far much easy on STE programming that I am for the moment. AFAIK, he has completed 'on paper' his engine for a Turrican-like clone and we have a graphics man who works fine too. I am on the blitter thing for the moment and as I will have completed this step and do a lot of coding tests, I think I will be able to code some simple games by myself [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_01.gif]

Just go on websites with mini-Flash games. There are plenty of games which are not so hard to port on ST.
iMac Core 2 duo / White MacBook Core 2 duo /
4Mb STE multitos'ed with 1.62/2.06 + Megafile 60

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”