Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2909
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:05 am

EvilFranky wrote:I would like to see the scrolling sorted out as it's horrible in the ST version.

Well, you are not alone with it. Already was proposed. Probably possible with blitter aid (STE HW scroll is useless when need to scroll only part of screen horizontally). Sad that game from 1993 still not used blitter. In any case, such things need lot of time. I came on idea to improve ST Uridium some 2 years ago, and then did first steps, to see how to solve better scroll. Then realized, that there are some other things to fix. So postponed it. Finished this year, but it took over 1 month work, in approx half part job time (4 hours per day). And that was easier case, I think. So, it all depends from many factors.
There are some other games wanting improvements too. And honestly, at moment I'm more intrigued by this animated sequences case. If it can be solved, then better scrolling will come by self :D
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby EvilFranky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:36 am

AtariZoll wrote:
EvilFranky wrote:I would like to see the scrolling sorted out as it's horrible in the ST version.

Well, you are not alone with it. Already was proposed. Probably possible with blitter aid (STE HW scroll is useless when need to scroll only part of screen horizontally). Sad that game from 1993 still not used blitter. In any case, such things need lot of time. I came on idea to improve ST Uridium some 2 years ago, and then did first steps, to see how to solve better scroll. Then realized, that there are some other things to fix. So postponed it. Finished this year, but it took over 1 month work, in approx half part job time (4 hours per day). And that was easier case, I think. So, it all depends from many factors.
There are some other games wanting improvements too. And honestly, at moment I'm more intrigued by this animated sequences case. If it can be solved, then better scrolling will come by self :D


Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that someone MUST take on this challenge, but it's such an obvious candidate for improvement.

I actually thought STe HW scroll would have been ideal but I obviously don't understand the technicalities as much others on this forum.

The 'missing' features are very intriguing, hope you make progress with those :cheers:

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2909
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 am

EvilFranky wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that someone MUST take on this challenge, but it's such an obvious candidate for improvement.
I actually thought STe HW scroll would have been ideal but I obviously don't understand the technicalities as much others on this forum.
The 'missing' features are very intriguing, hope you make progress with those :cheers:

Of course, I did not think for a moment that you meant some MUST here. Indeed it is good candidate. Similar case is Addams Family, for instance. And probably dozen of others.
In this heat all goes harder and slower. Even thinking about what to do can hurt sometimes :mrgreen:
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby EvilFranky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:17 am

AtariZoll wrote:Of course, I did not think for a moment that you meant some MUST here. Indeed it is good candidate. Similar case is Addams Family, for instance. And probably dozen of others.
In this heat all goes harder and slower. Even thinking about what to do can hurt sometimes :mrgreen:


Agreed, dozens of GOOD games and Addams Family is definitely a good game and would benefit greatly from a few tweaks.

Just time, resource...and motivation in the way :mrgreen:

_KrISS_
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby _KrISS_ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi,

I found the problem with too dark colours in the intro.

I changed following code:

Code: Select all

00A9C2  32BC0000            L0231:MOVE.W    #0,(A1)             
00A9C6  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9C8  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9CA  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9CC  E148                      LSL.W     #8,D0               
00A9CE  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9D0  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9D2  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9D4  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9D6  E948                      LSL.W     #4,D0               
00A9D8  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9DA  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9DC  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9DE  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9E0  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9E2  E2D1                      LSR       (A1)               
00A9E4  02590777                  ANDI.W    #$777,(A1)+         
00A9E8  51C9FFD8                  DBF       D1,-40(PC)           L0231


To:

Code: Select all

00A9C2  32BC0000            L0231:MOVE.W    #0,(A1)             
00A9C6  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9C8  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9CA  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9CC  E148                      LSL.W     #8,D0               
00A9CE  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9D0  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9D2  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9D4  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9D6  E948                      LSL.W     #4,D0               
00A9D8  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9DA  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9DC  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9DE  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9E0  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)+             
00A9E2  4E71                      NOP               
00A9E4  4E71                      NOP
00A9E6  4E71                      NOP         
00A9E8  51C9FFD8                  DBF       D1,-40(PC)           L0231


Please find patched disk image attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2909
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Good fix. It seems that programmers were not much motivated when worked on this .
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby mikro » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 pm

To me this looks like an (artistic?) intention, not a bug.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2909
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am

mikro wrote:To me this looks like an (artistic?) intention, not a bug.

Dark flower in anti-war game - it makes sense .
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1421
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:50 am

_KrISS_ wrote:Hi,

I found the problem with too dark colours in the intro.

I changed following code:

Code: Select all

00A9C2  32BC0000            L0231:MOVE.W    #0,(A1)             
00A9C6  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9C8  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9CA  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9CC  E148                      LSL.W     #8,D0               
00A9CE  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9D0  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9D2  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9D4  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9D6  E948                      LSL.W     #4,D0               
00A9D8  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9DA  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9DC  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9DE  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9E0  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9E2  E2D1                      LSR       (A1)               
00A9E4  02590777                  ANDI.W    #$777,(A1)+         
00A9E8  51C9FFD8                  DBF       D1,-40(PC)           L0231


To:

Code: Select all

00A9C2  32BC0000            L0231:MOVE.W    #0,(A1)             
00A9C6  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9C8  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9CA  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9CC  E148                      LSL.W     #8,D0               
00A9CE  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9D0  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9D2  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9D4  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9D6  E948                      LSL.W     #4,D0               
00A9D8  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)             
00A9DA  1018                      MOVE.B    (A0)+,D0           
00A9DC  E808                      LSR.B     #4,D0               
00A9DE  4880                      EXT.W     D0                 
00A9E0  D151                      ADD.W     D0,(A1)+             
00A9E2  4E71                      NOP               
00A9E4  4E71                      NOP
00A9E6  4E71                      NOP         
00A9E8  51C9FFD8                  DBF       D1,-40(PC)           L0231


Please find patched disk image attached.


How funny, that's exactly what we called the Atari ST palette bug on the Amiga, but this time applied to the ST :lol:

The Amiga palette bug on ST lol.

This is due to the fact that the STF has a palette of 512 colors, while the Amiga has a 4096 colors. You don't encode the colors with the same range of values.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby EvilFranky » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Bug. Look at all the extra detail in the corrected image, thanks for the fix!

_KrISS_
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby _KrISS_ » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:10 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:How funny, that's exactly what we called the Atari ST palette bug on the Amiga, but this time applied to the ST :lol:

The Amiga palette bug on ST lol.

This is due to the fact that the STF has a palette of 512 colors, while the Amiga has a 4096 colors. You don't encode the colors with the same range of values.


It looks like Amiga palette is converted twice. Once when the image is converted, twice when it is displayed (fade in/fade out effect).

EvilFranky wrote:Bug. Look at all the extra detail in the corrected image, thanks for the fix!


B&W pictures in the intro also look better.

grab0001.png
grab0003.png


grab0006.png
grab0004.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby EvilFranky » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Excellent! I knew there was something a-miss with the intro pictures, I know the ST only has 8 shades of grey but the originals looked like they were only using 4 shades.

User avatar
Showaddywaddy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:01 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Cannon Fodder (D-Bug)

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Nice bug spotting Kriss, we've re-released D-Bug 190 (a) with your fix.

http://d-bug.mooo.com/dbugmenu/dbug190av2.msa

Showaddywaddy


Social Media

     

Return to “Games - General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests