What was the first game you played on your ST?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Justin Kace
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Justin Kace » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:39 am

My ST affair started in 89, going down to the local computer store after school and 'testing' games until the kicked us out. They were really tolerant of my friend and I which was very nice. It was Deja Vu 2 that we played mostly then.
We also had a friend that would come to our house for tea once a week, and he would bring his ST for us kids to play while the adults talked. That was when I fell in love with Dungeon Master, but at the same time I remember we used to play Beyond Ice Palace and Buggy Boy.
When we got our own ST we used to let the babies of the family play buggy boy with joysticks that weren't plugged in while we played with the real ones from the top bunk so we could get all the turns. :)

Great days.... *sniff* :)
JK

Tangens
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tangens » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:21 am

Does anybody of you remind on DGDB ("Das große deutsche Ballerspiel")? That was the first game which I played in 1987 when I bought my Atari 260 ST.

Atari User
Atari User

Postby 1536 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:29 am

it was bombuzal or mini golf. they came free with my machine when i ordered it from silica.

Lyverbe
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lyverbe » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:43 am

Dungeon Master, which I bought simultaneously with my 1040st. In fact, you buy a game for your computer, but in my case, I bought a computer for the game! Dungeon Master made me leave the 8bit scene.

twisted_eden
Atariator
Atariator

Postby twisted_eden » Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 am

Mine was Psycho Pig 2. Apparently theres nothing funnier than a 5 year old trying to imitate his sideways grin.
omg! i are 1337!

elan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby elan » Sat May 20, 2006 4:52 pm

Mouse TRAP,Buggy BOY,Ninja Mission,Eagle's NEST,ENUDRO,Batlleship and TETRIS2 with very nice music.

aldo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby aldo » Sat May 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Ranarama as part of a bundle with my st in '87. I still play it :oops:

telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby telengard » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:21 pm

Time Bandit, it was the screenshot for it in a magazine that got me interested in the ST and made me sell my 130XE for $$ to get one.

Still fun today too, even moreso w/ 2 people playing. :)

~telengard

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:06 pm

Wow, Ranarama... I'd forgotten about that :) Interesting game - one of the games that came with my first ST.

Probably the first games I played on the ST before that though were Carrier Command, Stargoose, Dungeon Master (all of these were great, but I never had time to play them much since they were on my friend's computer in 1990... I only had a C64 at the time - go Midnight Resistance, Sly Spy and Shadow Warriors!).

After I got my own ST(s), I played the PD game "Fatemaster" most, followed by... hmm, maybe No Second Prize, Saint Dragon (which was bloody hard - never got very far in it without cheating), Microprose Grand Prix (probably the only original I ever bought on the ST)... Pang and Puzznic.

There's loads of other games I enjoyed, but it's hard to remember. Probably easier to visualise the pirate menus than the games they contained :)
In fact, I usually enjoyed ordering PD disks, then rummaging around on them when they arrived, reading the docs and stuff on the various utility disks and playing with GFA Basic. They were fun days when a bubble-wrapped envelope holding 8 disks would arrive in the post and it was the most exciting thing in months ;)
tá'n poc ar buile!

mwaawm
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mwaawm » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:28 am

Outrun that came as one of the free games with it was the first game I played on my STFM. I was hugely dissapointed by how rubbish it looked compared to my expectations.

Thankfully the other freebie, Space Harrier, put my mind at ease that it was just a case of outrun being duff as opposed to all ST games looking that bad.
I cant help it if I'm often in doubt but never in the wrong.

Arnout
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Arnout » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:44 am

I bought my first Atari ST because of a shop running an Atari with Captain Blood, I was so impressed by the sound and graphics that I spent all my money earned with some vacation job on the machine.
The next games were Buggy Boy and Xenon

giachi11
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby giachi11 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:18 pm

i bought my atari st for 15 euros into a computer fair here in italy....
i haven't got anything other than the machine at the time and the first game i tried on it was test drive 2 found somewhere at my home (my dad has got one 520st in 1988...). it was a really cool game.

Capri3
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Capri3 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:40 pm

The first game I played was Gold Runner (I think) part of the silica shop bundle of the time I got bored quite quickly and went out to buy Xenon the graphics and sound compared to my ZX Spectrum were awesome.

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:45 am

hmmmm yeah... Goldrunner.. looked good, fast.. but way too fast... wasnt my sort of game..
someone post something, i'm bored :)

Willabong
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Willabong » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Outrun! My wife was addicted to Outrun in the arcades, and would get through several checkpoints before running out of time.....So I went out and bought an Atari 520ste to keep her happy.....Only she never had a chance to play with it! :twisted:
Death is natures way of telling you to slow down!

jazzmaverick
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jazzmaverick » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:10 pm

The first game I played:

Super Sprint - 3 player! While at a friends Atari party. He would invite his mates and their STs around and play multi player games. I was about 8 and they were all at least 7 years older than me. I remember playing populous 2 player, and a PD game called atoms or something. They would also share demos and the like, too.

Guess I was pretty lucky. I fell in love with the ST straight away.

I remember when I got my own one christmas. I was playing Ramarama when my mum came in and dumped a huge carrier bag full of cracked game disks all individually wrapped all in my lap as an extra surprise present! I couldn't believe it! Best Christmas ever!

ahhhh... those were the days

Pandino
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Pandino » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:22 pm

Crack'ed
Bye
Da Den Kristne Satte Livet Til

Avanze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Avanze » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:54 am

I can't be certain of the first game I played but I know what game I wanted to play first, Dragon's Lair.

The Juggler
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby The Juggler » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:36 am

First game I ever played on the ST was.... can't remember what it was called but it had Tripod robots in and as you booted it a LOUD clap of thunder played.... some one name that game for me please...

A few days later Sledgehammer came round (Christmas Eve) and dropped off LOTS of pirated games.... man I had a good game filled Christmas... The missus didn't like it much though :D

Des

:roll:
The Pompey Pirates

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:39 am

I've read all about the Atari ST when I had a 130 XE. The one game that made me have to get one was The Killing Game Show.

I remember seeing it on an STe running in this computer show and was gobsmacked by the graphics & music. There was nothing like that at the time, not even the arcade games I've played before seeing it. The water reflection alone convinced me that this was a powerful machine. :D

Thankfully I was graduating high school so I convinced my mom to get it for me to use for college (and the STe really helped me with term papers and going online). To this day I still play KGS on Steem, now if I can just learn how to do the mutliple switch hitting on Level 3-2....

Matt_Barber
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Matt_Barber » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:42 am

The first for me would have been one of the games I got in the STE Turbo pack. I'd like to think it was Blood Money, as that was the most memorable of the bunch, but it was probably Out Run.

Sauron
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Sauron » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:35 pm

I don't remember which one game was the first I played, but I remember getting several games with my first 520ST, notably Brattacus, Ikari Warriors, and Buggy Boy. Buggy Boy was the one that had me hooked the most, and made me forget about the 130XE that I traded in order to get the ST.

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:10 am

The first game I played on an ST was around a mates house and we did two player Bubble Bobble sessions for hours on end! That and Ikari Warriors and Buggy Boy, absolute dream. When I got my own ST a few months later I started off with Speedball as my first real 'purchase'. Ahh.. memories... :)

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:37 am

The Juggler wrote:First game I ever played on the ST was.... can't remember what it was called but it had Tripod robots in and as you booted it a LOUD clap of thunder played.... some one name that game for me please...

It wasn't Terrorpods was it?
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:34 pm

unseenmenace wrote:
The Juggler wrote:First game I ever played on the ST was.... can't remember what it was called but it had Tripod robots in and as you booted it a LOUD clap of thunder played.... some one name that game for me please...

It wasn't Terrorpods was it?

That sounds about right to me.. I just had a quick go (Automation 257) and there's definately thunder when it loads..

I couldn't figure out how to fire though! :(
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”