What was the first game you played on your ST?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

ppera

Postby ppera » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Flight Simulator II - I asked in shop may I try it on ST, and they allowed me. So, I bought machine and FSII at once..

earx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby earx » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:19 pm

btw, re-reading this my original post to this thread (and the enormous mountain of posts after that! 8-)) i have to make a correction:

the first -colour- game on ST i saw was defender of the crown: being played on a big screen TV with scart.. I couln't believe this thing could play samples. actually, it may well be the first encounter with sampled sound ever ;)) But the first ST colour game i actually played at my own home was Ghouls 'n' Ghosts. Disappointing in terms of gameplay but incredible in terms of music.

earx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby earx » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:31 pm

and my first falcon game (i sold the ST to raise money for the Falcon!):

i think it was black hole or that GEM breakout from the system disks ;) now those were major downers.. the only thing nice was the sampled sound, animation was non-existant and gameplay very 1980. the first really enjoyable falcon game was Double Bobble 2000 from RG (yeah!), which i played for hours on end.

guigui668
Atarian
Atarian

Postby guigui668 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi, first post and happy to be here.

To be very clear, my very first game was Nebulus in 1989 :)
I played it on my new atari ST 520STF for christmas :)

++

Megaroids
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Megaroids » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:17 am

Hi all, this is my first post.

I used my Atari St since 1986 for midi sequencing (Steinberg Pro24) and synth sound archiving. The first games that I played were monochrome PD games such as Megaroids. And Ballerburg, which still rocks!.

1987 I heard of a fascinating game named Dungeon Master, bought it and a colour monitor too.

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:21 am

Welcome to the forum Megaroids. I think a lot of people bought a colour monitor just so they could play Dungeon Master :wink:

blakespot
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby blakespot » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:41 pm

I purchased an Atari 520ST system w/ SC1224 in November 1986. I'd owned an Amiga (October 1985) but sold it due to lack of software (and oddly went back to the Apple II from there...). I like what I saw of the demos running on the ST at the local Games 'n' Gadgets and got a great kick out of the fun Megaroids on display there - probably the first game I ever saw on the ST.

When I bought my system I brought home two MichTron (Microdeal) titles with it: Time Bandit (one of my favorite games of all time) and Major Motion. I'd say Time Bandit was the first game I ever booted on my own 520ST.

I'm kind of a Time Bandit nut. Check some of the blog posts I've made on my retro blog about the game:

- A Look At Time Bandit
- Found New Time Bandit for Atari ST Retail Package
- Time Bandit Manual Scanned As PDF Document

Happily, I recently put together a 520ST system just like my old one (Microway STation and all!) and have been having much fun with it - Time Bandit and all....

I recall mail-ordering Starglider from a magazine (I'd never seen or heard of it before) - it arrived and I was blown away! It got here on Halloween, I recall, and I spent the evening split between playing it and cruising around the 'hood on my bike with all the kids running around - perhaps my best Halloween memory and it's due to the ST and Starglider (and Jez San). Heh. Good times, eh?

blakespot
http://www.bytecellar.com - ByteCellar :: The Vintage Computing Weblog / Forum

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Dungeon Master

Postby Pastor » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi

The first ever game that I played on my 520 stfm was Dungeon Master in 1988. I loved that game and I always remember capturing Chaos and my friends and I running around as if we had won the World Cup.

I worked at the Dept of Pathology in the University of Edinburgh at the time and three of us were playing it at the same time. We used to run to the canteen to discuss how far we had got.

Its funny I have owned lots of different games systems since then but I cannot remember any that gave me the thrill of Dungeon Master.

Just comming back to the scene now with the purchase of a Falcon.

Thanks

Paul

belboz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby belboz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:07 pm

Starglider and Time Bandits

teh3pwner
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby teh3pwner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:50 pm

esprit and onyx when i was 3 on my fathers 1040ste :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WiLlErS
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby WiLlErS » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:49 pm

joust was the first st game i played, still a top game of myn now!

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:16 pm

WiLlErS wrote:JOUST WAS THE FIRST ST GAME I PLAYED, STILL A TOP GAME OF MYN NOW!

Ouch! My poor ears! :lol:
I love Joust but I have a problem with the ST version.

Your steed flies far to high on a single flap. I'm sure they did this on purpose to counter the different button style on a joystick as apposed to an arcade stick, but I find it spoils the dynamism of the game. It takes far too long to change direction when airborne, unless you also want to career up the screen. I'll have to stick to my Midway Treasures version on my Dreamcast. :(
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Hans
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Hans » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:29 am

The first games I ever played on my first Atari 520ST system were:

Phantasie III
Time Bandit
Goldrunner
Major Motion

To this day, I still love the music from Goldrunner. :D

guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby guythp » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:54 am

StickHead wrote:
WiLlErS wrote:JOUST WAS THE FIRST ST GAME I PLAYED, STILL A TOP GAME OF MYN NOW!

Ouch! My poor ears! :lol:
I love Joust but I have a problem with the ST version.

Your steed flies far to high on a single flap. I'm sure they did this on purpose to counter the different button style on a joystick as apposed to an arcade stick, but I find it spoils the dynamism of the game. It takes far too long to change direction when airborne, unless you also want to career up the screen. I'll have to stick to my Midway Treasures version on my Dreamcast. :(

Heh, I found the opposite as I'd first played joust on my ST and found it great fun to play (and also consider that as the benchmark version). IMO the dreamcast midway version doesn't have the damn ostrich flying high enough with a sungle button press! :P
The Hairy Pies

Hans
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Hans » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:12 am

Joust was boring as hell. I do not see how anyone could actually love that game, much less play it. 8O
I own the following: Atari 520ST (new in box), Atari 1040ST (near-mint in box), Atari Mega ST4 (near-mint in box), Atari 1040STe, Atari Mega ST2, Atari Mega STe, lots of boxed and complete software for the Atari ST computers, lots of Atari ST hardware, and 2 rare prototype boards.

Epsilon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Epsilon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:26 am

My first game on ST were Joust and Mudpies bought with my first ST in 85. :)

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:43 pm

guythp wrote: Heh, I found the opposite as I'd first played joust on my ST and found it great fun to play (and also consider that as the benchmark version). IMO the dreamcast midway version doesn't have the damn ostrich flying high enough with a sungle button press! :P

Heh! :D It's definitely a thumb work-out!
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Captain Napalm
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Captain Napalm » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:29 am

Starglider sold me the ST, seriously WOW!

Game actually sucked quite badly though :D

Carrier Command... now THAT was a game and a half! Not quite sure where that fits in the timeline, its all a bit fuzzy now!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:58 am

Captain Napalm wrote:Carrier Command... now THAT was a game and a half! Not quite sure where that fits in the timeline, its all a bit fuzzy now!

I really enjoyed that game back when I played it on a mate's ST because I only had a C64 - for some reason (laziness/poorness?) I enjoyed many of his games much more than the collection I subsequently ended up with - maybe it'd have been a good idea to find Carrier Command myself :)

Also, I didn't find Joust particularly interesting either...
tá'n poc ar buile!

STcomp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: What was the first game you played on your ST?

Postby STcomp » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 pm

I bought my first ST in August 1986. (1040 STf with a weird Atari monitor?? had a color intensity knob, not an SC1224) I had a friend going to Chico State and he had a college bookstore discount of 15%. Since the color ST with monitor was $999 at the time I ended up getting the system for $850. I earned all the cash working at my first job. What was funny is that I took cash out for it, including a $500 bill that I requested at the bank specially, which they surprisingly accepted at the store! We drove from to Chico, California (over 2 hours) and got there 5 minutes before the store closed. I went with 2 friends, the college friend, and a slacker friend who had a bad knee that day (supposedly) and decided to limp even more slowly than normal when we finally arrived in the parking lot with minutes to get to the store. We both ditched him and ran to the college book store to have my friend buy me the ST with 2 minutes to spare! (my other friend limped up while we were on our way out with the computer after the store closed) I got home and played with the desktop, icons and Neochrome. I remember being astounded by 16 colors, and making 16 shades of blue for sky and water effects. I had never seen a desktop or icons on a computer, they seemed abstract and bizarre to me. The ST came with Megaroids, my first ST game. I soon copied Lands of Havoc, Time Bandits, Rogue and Mudpies from a friend.

beastie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby beastie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:20 pm

We had 520 STM with SF314 external FDD from 1988 to 1992. I remember this blue box with the same computer on it, attached to the colour monitor - SC1224 - with the very nice fractal on it. I was 11 years old then and I felt in love. I also remember a smaller box - white with the blue inscriptions - with SF314. And I remember the smell of these boxes - smells like the... Western Europe, mysterious at that time. And all these so intensive colours, just like coming straight from better reality. This was the day, when my Father arrived home with this set.

My first games were:
- Chubby Gristle - I have finished that one. The ending was really funny for a small guy.
- Winter Games (i'm not sure if it was the second one, but rather yes) - the whole family had a lot of fun with that game. Today we are also playing that one from time to time. And I'm still quite good, but not as good as back in time

I was also learning how to write my very first programs with ST Basic and Logo, playing around with GEM (switching to MS Windows 3.0 in 1992 was nothing special for me, thanks to that ;-)... Then I had a lot of fun playing games, making some digital samples and simple music with my 4-bit sampler and Nosie Tracker, using PC Ditto emulator to run Logo on it... All of it... Watching demos like Dark Side of the Spoon. There are a lot of things I can summon from my memory.

For example I remember playing with my chemistry teacher voice on ST, once I recored it on a lesson using pocket recorder and then sampled at home.

I also remember that the first operation my Father has learnt me about Atari ST, TOS and GEM was... The idea of source and destination location - for copying purposes and... Of course... How to format disks. I remember that the 3.5" disks had to be formatted yourself at that time.

My first words in English, which I translated, were the ST Basic commands. So, it was the begining of my English language education ;-)

SeriousSoftware
Atarian
Atarian

Postby SeriousSoftware » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:04 am

My first had to be either Time Bandit or Brattacas. I also remember getting Backlash very early on because I'd been a huge fan of Encounter on the 8-bit Atari.

philyoung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby philyoung » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 am

I think the first game I played was probably one of the bundled ones (Outrun, Bomb jack, Carrier Command...), probably Outrun.

I remember it taking ages (minutes) to load and we didn't have a joystick so had to play it using the mouse.
For some reason it didn't stear as much when using the mouse, so some of the corners were impossible to get around without crashing.

Bomb jack worked great with the mouse - even my Mum could manage it!

My best friend at the time bought an STE just so he could play Carrier Command after playing it on my STFM - I'm sure we completed it eventually.

Phil

mfletcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mfletcher » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:50 pm

A mate of mine had just got an Atari 520 STFM... I was down at his house and he was playing this amazing game called DungeonMaster! Many a winter evening was spent trying to complete this game. I just remember it seemed like ages waiting for Chaos Strikes Back to come out.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re:

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:32 pm

bullis1 wrote:The first game I played was (sort of) Parasol Stars. The game wouldn't load past the splash screen (most likely due to a corrupt disk). So I put in a cracked copy of No Second Prize instead and was blown away by the intro, music, and fluid 3D.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that I played some two player horizontally-scrolling shooter at a family friend's house previous to this. I totally can't recall the name though. Anyone have any ideas?
Member of the Atari Legend team

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”