What was the first game you played on your ST?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

havoc
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby havoc » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:49 pm

First game I played on ST was 'Flightsimulator II', again due to the mono screen on my uncle's system there wasn't much choice. TBH I wasn't impressed with it at all, but even before playing the game I got hooked by painting in Degas, so my future was doomed anyway.

pdevans1
Atariator
Atariator

Postby pdevans1 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:58 am

I know the first games I brought with my ST were Falcon and Ocean 5 Star Comp. (Wizball, Barbarian, Rampage, Crazy Cars and Enduro Racer) but my first ST memory was playing Speedball and Dungeon Master borrowed from my mate.

The first time I played Dungeon Master I got stuck in the hall of champions, I stood on the pressure plate to open and portculis and picked up the apple but didn't turn left and spent the rest of the time wandering around level 0. :oops:

030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 030falcon030 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:37 pm

first game i played idunno my dad first game he played was xenon 2 and he thought it was amazing after the dragon 32 computer he had before i think my first game was buggyboy orlemmings i cant remember i was only about 2 years old
my first falcon game was obsession

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:52 pm

Oh man, first game.. that took awhjile to recall.

When we bought our 520ST (1987 or so) we brought it home with The Pawn (Magnetic Scrolls text/graphic adventure). Soon after we got Silent Service and Time Bandits I think, though I just don't recall the orders. Flight Simulator 2 was in there somewhere... dogfighting the AI around 2d mountains used to rule my small world :)

BBSes soon after :)

jeff
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:09 am

Major Motion.

It was, and still is, the shiznit. Even works fine on Falcons.

Then I saved $80 and bought Starcross. Boy what a dumb idea that was - looked like a cool game from the box... then i find out it's a TEXT ADVENTURE.

aaaarrgh!

thank god ninja mission came along a month later.

karlm.

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:45 pm

Major Motion is indeed a super game! I spent hours on this one as a little kid. Good taste in games you got there ;-)

cheers,
Grave
We are Atari Legend.

Visit us at : http://www.atarilegend.com

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

estezijem
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby estezijem » Sat May 21, 2005 5:03 pm

It was World Games. Nice experience,after 8 bit Atari.

keops
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby keops » Sat May 21, 2005 11:51 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I think Time Bandit was the first game I had on my Atari ST. I don't recall buying it and yet I have the original box at home, so I guess it was indeed part of a bundle along with the Atari ST.

Leonardo7
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Leonardo7 » Sun May 29, 2005 9:39 am

Hi !

When I bought my Atari 520 STe, 14 or 15 years ago, my first acquisition have been TOTAL RECALL, edited by Ocean !

For me, it's one of the best Plaform game that I've ever played, with Rick Dangerous !

atariste
Atariator
Atariator

hi all

Postby atariste » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:42 am

stromlord and then north&south

great times

:D

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

first st exprc.

Postby charles » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:57 am

ok ,i am remotily timid when it comes to these post thing-ies, but
it's a good clear picture....i think k-mart had just gotten in a new load of "atari super computers" known as the family packs.and the price---canadian$$$ was $136.96 for atari st and group package... the package was made of word fillers and floating triangles, and ,asteroids!!!!!!!
previously ,some school mate,s houshold possesed a 2600 or 130xl.......
black joystick,red buttons,soft grip.... we gamed all afternoon...loads of fun!!!!!!it was frogger then frogger,froggger and frogger more then little bits of pacman then cartridges piled up ,nobody,well me especially, knew what these things really did !! OR ...were.,,,,...so .i was like six years in age at the time...and the date was approx 1980-82??????????
boy i hated wasting time ,it felt like this thing" the computer" is only suposed to display motion , but the more it angered me--,because of the moving picture, the more my agression sub-sided...funny i gotr back into the computers at age of 22 i'm now thirty and these things are still on my mind...ha!

i now use edit track and other none- moving softwares!!!! for midi!!!!!!

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:58 pm

My first ST experience was when a mate of my dad's took me round to his son's flat one Sunday afternoon as he was a game programmer (He is now boss of a game company called Data Design Interactive) to talk to him as this is something I wanted to do. I was all for buying an Amiga as I was the owner of a C64. He booted up Starglider and I was blown away.

My first ST was a second hand one bundled with quite a few games and the first one I played was Robocop and I thought this was amazing compared to the C64 version. But as we all know now Robocop is pure poo. :)

hsc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hsc » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:11 pm

AKH wrote:My first game was Flying Shark. Still love to play it to this day.

Flying Shark was the first game I wrote - I thought I was the only person in the world that remembered it!

hsc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hsc » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:20 pm

ST Graveyard wrote:Yeah, I also love Flying Shark ... Did you know the PC version of this game was called "SKY SHARK"?

AKH wrote:My first game was Flying Shark. Still love to play it to this day.

I didn't know there was a PC version - so far as I remember the arcade version was called SKY SHARK in some countries. Do you remember anything else about it?

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:40 pm

No, I'm sorry I can't say much about the PC version. I believe the title screen had the different name "Sky Shark", but in-game, it was identical. Except for the lack of the great ST music ;-)

Cheers,
Grave
We are Atari Legend.

Visit us at : http://www.atarilegend.com

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Womble » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:48 am

I had been blown away by the ST a mate had, the music on PP064 was just infectious. When I finally bought a second hand FM it came with hundreds of disks so I cant recall what the 1st one I loaded up would have been. Probably that menu, shortly followed by Sundog which I had loved before.

daveskillin
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby daveskillin » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:27 pm

Alright, this is tragic on so many levels, but...

I got my first ST for my birthday back in 1990 (local computer shop practically refused to sell us anything other than one of the huge stack of STEs that hadn't sold the previous Christmas), and it was an upgrade from an old 48K Spectrum. Took it home, tried a couple of the free Power Pack games, wasn't terribly impressed...until I tried turning the sound up on the TV right as the R-Type theme kicked in.

A whole new world. Ashamed to think how long it took me to work out that the ST didn't have a built-in speaker like the old Speccy though :oops:

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:01 pm

Mine was 'Roadwars' that came with the pack of games I got with my ST.
I thought it was pretty good - lots better than the Speccy version anyway - but I wasn't all the way blown away until I played 'Xenon' 8O...

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:09 am

It was a summer 1990.... Two months a hard work and i finally managed to buy my 520STfm with CM8833 monitor.

First game i booted up was Super Hang-On and hooray... What a game! The titlemusic really blowed my mind away, i even thought that ST had a digisoundmusic all the time. I still enjoy playing it as much as i did 16 years ago.

We also used to go in the sauna with my brother every friday and after the sauna we always took a nice couple of hours with Gauntlet II. Many of those couple of hours lasted till morning.

When i upgraded to STe, the first game i played was Blood Money. I was a bit disappointed about the scrolling but the next game Anarchy, wow, someone really knew how to make a superfast arcadeshooter... Shutted some "ST can't do that, ST can't do this" Amigalovers mouths quite nicely;)
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:32 am

Marakatti wrote: we always took a nice couple of hours with Gauntlet II. Many of those couple of hours lasted till morning.

My friends and I did that too.. I had a 4-player multitap and we used to have huge games of tag with the 'IT' monster.. :)

Also used to play 'Leatherneck' and 'Mercs' with it... :D

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:43 am

It must have been fun... Another nice commandogame popped up in my mind... Ikari Warriors (and the huge general in the end)
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 am

for me it was Space Harrier but it was too realistic (!) so i played Overlander and Time Bandit (all bundled with my 520STFM). i think i was only 9 at the time so i was in heaven!!!
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:20 am

Marakatti wrote:It must have been fun... Another nice commandogame popped up in my mind... Ikari Warriors (and the huge general in the end)

And don't forget 'Dogs of War'.. :)

BTW - The cheat for Ikari Warriors was to enter 'freeride' on the high score table. (Infinate lives, I seem to remember) ;)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:38 pm

First game was Starglider, which I had seen at a computer show not long before getting my ST. It was almost the first thing I tried out of the box. The mouse control was a totally new thing to me, and a bit of a rude awakening at first ;-)

Next thing were the Silica pack-in games like Megaroids and Time Bandit, then after that, Leaderboard, the other commercial game I ordered with my new machine, based on previous experiences on a friends C64 version.

Graphically, Leaderboard lived up to its 16-bit promise, but I quickly discovered how annoying the underside joystick/mouse ports were, as this game featured a dongle that plugged in there! This tended to dampen the appeal of that game, which didn't get too much airtime, once I started to get other stuff.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:45 pm

My first one on atari was wings of death ^^ hehe.

On the 520 STF of a friend of mine, the music was blowing my ears ^^.

What a good game, with nice graphics and all ^^.

Then came Navy moves from dinamic. It had a NASTY protection scheme
on it, i remember very well and what an enjoyment ^^

this one is another story :lol:
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”