All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

Schlampf
Atarian
Atarian

Game-Boot from B:

Postby Schlampf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi,
is there a software solution to boot a game from drive B:?
I have an internal gotek and a SF314 as B:.
I would like to start some disk-games from b:, but i don´t want to do soldering / install a switch for this.
Is there some kind of software to to something like a soft-reset and boot from the external drive?

Kind regards!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
http://astronomisch.blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Atari-STe-1040-Dream-Version-E.pdf

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Game-Boot from B:

Postby siriushardware » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm not aware of a software patch which does this, but I could be wrong.

If you don't want to physically hack the drive select line tracks coming from the YM and pass them through a changeover switch (the usual way to do this), another way would be to have two switchable versions of the same TOS, one unmodified and one with the code patched to treat drive A as drive B, and drive B as drive A.

If you had a 6-chip TOS you could fit 6 * 27512 eproms with the standard TOS programmed in the lower halves and the modified TOS in the upper halves of the six eproms, with either 0V or 5V switched to pin one of all the EPROMS (which would be bent out sideways rather than plugged into the pin 1 holes in the sockets).

This is also the easiest way to have two different switchable TOSes in one machine, but it still requires a switch fitted somewhere on the machine, unfortunately.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Game-Boot from B:

Postby ijor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 am

There is no foolproof solution without a hardware mod. Even a custom TOS won't work on every case because many games access the hardware directly bypassing TOS completely.

It should be possible to implement a software solution that would work with well behaved programs, especially those booting from the AUTO folder. Might be it already exists, but I don't remember.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”