All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: James Pond - Millennium Interactive

Postby Total Eclipse » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:17 am

Foxie wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:Steve Bak was an ST first man. James pond was made for Atari ST first and enhanced for the Amiga.

Are you sure about that? Is that the original James Pond specifically? I think James Pond II was written by Chris Sorrel, originally on the Amiga.

The Chris Sorrel interview includes the quote "It was very much 'path of least resistance' since we had accepted that the Amiga version was the lead sku (finally! hooray!)", which sounds to me very much like James Pond was designed as an Amiga game first.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:25 pm

yes indeed, i saw that in the interview.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:14 pm

iggydrougge wrote:That's just the development system, just as many (most?) British-made Amiga and ST games were made on IBM PCs with the PDS development system and SNASM.

What are the advantages of developing on an IBM? At the time, most IBMs had the same screen resolution as the ST. Did they do it to leverage higher assembling speeds?

I can see a potential advantage to a system which downloads code via a modem cable. You could develop a trackloading game without having to reboot to test it.

iggydrougge
Atari User
Atari User

Postby iggydrougge » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:02 pm

One advantage was the system itself, and since it ran on the PC, you used a PC.
The typical PC had a better screen than the typical Amiga and a better keyboard than the typical ST, and possibly even a hard drive. It used an ISA card for higher transfer speeds than null modem.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”