All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Atari ST Game Sound FX Sample Archive?

Postby Neild323 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Hello!
For a long time I've been sampling sound FX in games, but I wondered if there is an existing archive for Atari ST FX samples?

I have been using Steem's sound recording function, then editing down each sample to normalise & steady the levels,
but its very time consuming as I need to play the games in real time and be good at them in order to explore the whole library of sounds available, given the option I'm able to mute the game music also.

I've searched around but couldn't see anything for game samples. I've made some tracks which use samples from better dead than alien, joust & a lot of other games. Some I found in sample packs such as joust as its a popular game, but it wasn't categorised, I just happened to recognise the same sample. Buggy boy uses samples I've heard elsewhere too but it'd be nice to find samples by the title of the games in order to locate them easy.

Perhaps theres an existing archive being built in process I could add my samples to? Or if not, maybe others sampling sound FX could make one between us?

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari ST Game Sound FX Sample Archive?

Postby junosix » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:27 am

Memory dump from emulator then load as 8-bit RAW (you'll need to try both signed and unsigned) in Audacity?

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 pm

junosix wrote:Memory dump from emulator then load as 8-bit RAW (you'll need to try both signed and unsigned) in Audacity?

Hmm, never knew this was possible! Just had a lil look for memory dump elsewhere & yes, that's gotta be the best way for me to do this. Thanks very much! Found a bit of info on here, viewtopic.php?t=8818

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Great to know about this. I've tried importing the memory dump into audacity as raw data, both 8bit signed & unsigned, but I tend to get a 2-10 second clip of white noises'.
I've had a good play with it & searched hard on here & other sites but can't see a guide for this. If u know of anywhere else to look it'd be helpful if poss. Perhaps if I try a different audio program like soundlab? Winjam perhaps? Seem to be close though, thanks for pointing this one out for me coz it'll save a lot of time & processing

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Not all ST games use sampled sounds. Many just use YM register settings to provide sound effects. This requires disassembly of source code to obtain their values and contexts.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Hazzardus
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Hazzardus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Not all ST games use sampled sounds. Many just use YM register settings to provide sound effects. This requires disassembly of source code to obtain their values and contexts.

I thought Neil was just talking about the sampled sounds, and forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but was thinking more about the sampled intros and speech in certain games, (Gauntlet 2, Ranarama ... Why do these come to mind so quickly? :D http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32855 And other notable ones like StarGlider, Space Harrier, and all those other extremely bad to the ears now but at the time, great sampled sound for the ST.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Neild323 wrote:Great to know about this. I've tried importing the memory dump into audacity as raw data, both 8bit signed & unsigned, but I tend to get a 2-10 second clip of white noises'.

You will also need to experiment with the sample rate. If you're only getting a few seconds of noise then you're probably importing it at 44100Hz, try dropping down to 8000Hz and go from there.

As simonsunnyboy points out, this will only work with games that use sound samples (and even then not all depending on how the samples are stored). If you're looking to extract the more beepy soundchip-type effects then you'll need a more complex approach.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:05 am

Many sampled intro musics were also streamed directly from disk. So it is possible you will not find the complete digi track in memory.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks peeps. Yes it's the YM generated sounds I want to capture, so I don't think memory dump will be ideal for this, although it would be good for sampled sounds.
I think I'd be better playing the games through & sampling them manually.
I did get a bit excited about the idea of extracting the data but I don't have such in depth knowledge to take on that task, I could imagine it being a lot to take on board for the end result.
I've got a fairly wide collection of Atari Games samples, but a lot of them aren't organised well enough and I'd like to see what else is out there.
It would be nice though, if there was a sample library for Atari ST games which could allow others to add to.
I'm personally more interested in the lesser promoted games, there are some great samples I used from 'Making Whoopee' which could have been sampled using the memory dump process, but 'better dead than alien' for example, has some awesome YM bleeps which I've sampled in a few tunes.
If time allows I'd like to organise the samples I have & upload them, so others can take & add to a list of games containing as many samples from each game as we can get. I do like the idea of using samples which aren't recognised too widely though, it gives a more unique sound to my music that way

MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 pm

You could also try using old school ripping tools like probe ST , adrenaline ripper etc. I suspect in most cases it may be easier just recording from an emulator as you have done. Also some YM effects may already be available in the SNDH archive as sub ' tunes'. I am sure buggy boy has YM only sound effects and no samples .

Some samples can be found if they have a header added by the sampling software. e.g. AVR samples can be found if they have 2BIT in there header. Grazey / lotek may be the best contacts for further info as music and sound effects ripping are closely related. I do think it would be cool to have a DB of those used , easier with consoles as they often had sound test screens etc
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:15 pm

[quote="MiggyMog"]You could also try using old school ripping tools like probe ST , adrenaline ripper etc. I suspect in most cases it may be easier just recording from an emulator as you have done. Also some YM effects may already be available in the SNDH archive as sub ' tunes'. I am sure buggy boy has YM only sound effects and no samples .

Some samples can be found if they have a header added by the sampling software. e.g. AVR samples can be found if they have 2BIT in there header. Grazey / lotek may be the best contacts for further info as music and sound effects ripping are closely related.

Cheers for yr thoughts. Its likely I'll carry on as I have done & if I get chance/time, will start uploading a db others can add to. Yeah I've spoke with Grazey once, he was a top guy & helped me obtain an sndh of 'diablo' which I remixed. If I ever find capacity it'd be a dream to learn how to extract this data properly, for now though I'll stick to what I know.
I have a sample CD I used to make games with (games factory for PC) which features a few buggy boy samples. I can see the difference in samples & ym produced samples, using the header info it'd be great to seek a procedure for extracting an entire sound bank regards to the fx triggered in the game, for me though its good to understand the length of knowledge I'd need to a quite to achieve this though, so thanks for clearing this up & pointing out the possibilities.
I'm organising my samples as I go so, perhaps if I upload what I have, I'll make way for a great db others can add to and make use of

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:17 pm

*acquire , not a quit! I need to change predictive text on my phone

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”