All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

pauljh
Atarian
Atarian

.HD Files

Postby pauljh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Hello All,
Recently got a UltraSatan. Downloaded the pp1gig image and briefly tried it out, all worked fine.

So I'm wondering what do I get paying £10 to Peter at 8bitchip?< I'm happy to but not sure what benefit it will give me.

More importantly I saw someone created a Games_HD.zip that contains all the ST games that run form HD, Great I thought, until I downloaded and ended up with games_1.hd and games_2.hd, what do I do with ".hd" files?, how do I make them images for a SD card?

Ta!

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: .HD Files

Postby galax » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:02 pm

pauljh wrote:So I'm wondering what do I get paying £10 to Peter at 8bitchip?< I'm happy to but not sure what benefit it will give me.

You get to know that you have given something back to the person who created and maintains the driver. You can also partition SD cards yourself, allowing up to about 7GB per card on most STs. I have no idea about "Games_HD.zip" or "games_1.hd", I've never seen it.

pauljh
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pauljh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi.
I'll assume the possibly implied condescending is just my reading of the reply. I've got no problem paying to help retro hobbies and do have a WHDLoad license (even tho its no longer needed). Just wondering if there is a technical difference.

The compilation is from these very forums, here viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27690&p=273101&hilit=games_hds#p273101

Hence my question here. searching for .hd in search doesn't give the best results.

bugs
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bugs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:19 am

Hi Paul
You get partitioning software and driver files as well as support. Both HDDriver and pperas driver are actively supported and updated to work with all the great new devices like ultrasatan and mist. HDDriver is in the neighbourhood of 50 euros, so quite a bit more money.
Atari Falcon *2, Phantom,CT63, TT030, MegaSte with crazydots, Mega ST4 soon with exxo booster, Mega ST2, 1040STE, 1040STFM, 130xe *2, 1200xl nib, 800xl nib, 800, 400 (first computer from new) Lotharek MIST

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:53 pm

In theory, mainly because I haven't got the time to test the images afterwards as my Mega STE isn't connected up these days, but the two files are *more than* likely just images of two separate 1Gb SD/Micro SD cards.

So ..

Use the USB Image Tool found here: http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/

Rename the two .HD files to .IMG and then insert two separate Micro SD/SD cards into a USB reader. Use the Restore function within USB Image Tool to write back the two images onto the two separate cards.

Boot up with Games 1 in the top UltraSatan disk drive and Games 2 in the one underneath. The HD boot software will appear on screen and hey presto, there's your two SD cards of games all patched for HD.

Naturally if you haven't got any spare 1Gb cards, then use a larger one, but only 1Gb will show up on your Atari machine.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

pauljh
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pauljh » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi,
I've tried burning one of the .HD files as an IMG and it doesn't work, the SD card is inaccessible from an ST or a PC. So I have the assume the "HD" files are some other format?, anyone know?

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”