Gaming from ST cartridge

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Gaming from ST cartridge

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:27 am

I added all mine cartridge adaptations to page with Revenge of Mutant Camels cartridge adapt explanation: http://atari.8bitchip.info/cartST.html

Sources included, may try all it in Steem and Hatari too. Total 11 games: Revenge of mutant Camels, Xenon, Rick Dangerous, Star Wars, Joust and Moon Patrol on 1 cart., Buggy Boy, Star Raiders, Manix, Missile Command, Wizball .
Maybe exxos can make some boards for ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

MM41
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Gaming from ST cartridge

Postby MM41 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:30 pm

Good news, thanks

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:31 am

Interesting concept, would be cool to have some Atari ST game carts :mrgreen:

If 128kb is the largest size, coudn't it be increased though bank switching?
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:47 am

Bank switching is usual idea for increasing capacity. But I think that it is obsolete now. Better then go on some Flash card solution - like Satandisk or CF card on cartridge port. That will cost just little more than bank switching - not counting EPROM prices, which are not low now. Then may use regular Atari FAT16 filesystem. Auto start is possible of course.
Instead bank switching I prefer next: larger Flash EPROMs and DIP switch for active game selection. That is cheap. Only limit is that packed game must fit in 128 KB. For larger games there is mass storage and lot of already adapted games.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 am

I was thinking a lot about what and how to do - considering that prices of EPROMs are pretty big in compare with prices of Flash cards, + doing small quantity of PCBs means high price/unit .
So, the idea is to do universal board, what will be good for simple, pure ROM based cartridge, and version for Compact Flash cards - but there must be 2 EPROMs too.
In HW it means 2 versions:
1. Simple 2 EPROM based cartridge, with DIP switch to select 1 from 8 sections - games in fact
2. Mass storage based - AUTOboot via cartridge ROM, then may install usual hard disk driver and go to Desktop or ...

In SW there can be more variants:
8 128 KB sections allow 8-10 shorter games (2 very short can go in one) . I made list of quality games which can fit, and so far there is about 60 title.
Already did: Goldrunner (with options to turn off/on speech and fire sound) , Great Giana Sisters (title music dropped to make it fit) - on machines with blitter will be fine scroll, on those without normal skip. Min RAM 512 KB. Actually, almost all will need only 512 KB.

CF card variant: may use game adaptations in same way as now - via regular GEMDOS hard disk driver.

More interesting would be variant with low level driver, which needs very little RAM to work. That makes possible gaming form mass storage on machines with only 512 KB RAM - hundreds of games. 512KB games will work in most cases, but there are things what can not solve without extra RAM - TOS version problems for instance.
Idea is to use 4 GB card, where will be plenty of space for saving gamestates. After reset, it will not go to Desktop, but in menu, controllable with keyboard and joystick - where user can select what to play, and look statesaves, delete them ...
In any case, there will be lot of work on SW side with this.

So, to summarize :
Simple cartridge with 8 sections for 8-10 games. 512KB RAM enough for most. About 60 quality games seems to fit.
Compact Flash based. SW can be regular hard disk driver + games, APPs ....
Or special low level driver based - then 512KB RAM may be enough for many games. With menu for selecting game. Will not go to Desktop.

I can not give estimated prices at moment, and it will depend from interest: so, please let me know if you are - here, in PM or e-mail.

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Very cool project! What kind of Cartridge board can these be used for for use on real hardware? I guess these 128k ROMs cannot be used with the Atari Diagnostic carts, as those only use two 27C256 EPROMs, so two 32k ROMs... Wonder if this can be hacked to use a 128k ROM....
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:52 am

Tested the cartridges on that page with latest Hatari.

Few notes:
* Star Raiders complained that there's no disk in drive A:
* Joust cart game selection doesn't work if slow FDC emulation is disabled
* In StarWars selecting mouse instead of joystick results in double bus error when pressing fire first time in the game itself

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”