Chuck Rock 2 - what happened to it?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Chuck Rock 2 - what happened to it?

Postby lostdragon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I feel i'm kinda 'back' to where i once was, when looking into Lost Jaguar games here, when Dan Clapson (who i interviewed for ST Gamer Vol 2), passed on my name, basically vouched for me etc to Jeremy Heath-Smith and gave me his personal email etc...

I'd done everything humanly possible and just had to wait and see if Person A had the time or even wanted to chat, about Lost Games.

With Chuck Rock II after approaching various Ex-Core sources myself, Ged Keaveney, very, very kindly passed on my request and details to the names i mentioned a few posts earlier.

His kindness here does him great credit.

But yes, so far, everything common sense wise does seem to point to ST being abandoned, Sega and it's consoles were where the money was, Sega paying on time etc.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone, they are very much appreciated.

Lost Games Research is a very niche thing, of interest to a select few, but boy is it time consuming.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:17 am

Hello Lost Dragon, Dan Scott/Anarchy has posted on the EAB amiga forum about Chuck Rock 2 this :

Q : Do you know exactly when Core's boss, Mr Heath-Smith, decided to stop any productions of games on the Atari ST ?

A : I am guessing around the end of 1991, beginning of 1992 was the last Atari ST release from Core ? I worked a little on Heimdall and Wolfchild (the intro sequence) for the ST, and I think that Wolfchild was probably the last release (or maybe Thunderhawk)

Q : What is your view also about the differences between the Amiga and the ST, how large was the gap between them ?

A : There's no question that the Amiga is far far technically superior to the Atari ST. In terms of Colours, Bitplanes, Blitter, Sprites, Audio etc.. it wins hands down, other than that the ST has a marginally faster CPU. I guess with large amounts of pre-calculated data, and some clever coding, the ST could produce some technically impressive stuff (I've seen some nice fairly recent demos).
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:34 pm

@dlfrsilver

Very much appreciate you posting that up.

That pretty much ties up with what i've been able to put together from various fragments and goes with the idea we've basically been running with, that ST support was pretty much rapidly dropped in favour of going where the money was, ie with SEGA whom, Richard Barc.told us paid on time etc.

If you have the option of putting your games out on potentially as many as 4 SEGA formats: Megadrive/Mega CD/Master System/Game Gear or 1 Atari format, who's user base is in rapid decline, your kinda going to go with Sega are you not?.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Sega of course :) Dan also explained that he proposed to port the Megadrive version on Amiga to the boss of Core, and it took 3 months to him.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Dan has been a legend, not only in helping with ST Chuck Rock II info, but also press claims over proposed Jaguar games and those claims in likes of C+VG/Gamestm, that Core Design produced a tech demo of Scud Race on Dreamcast for Sega to show behind closed doors-sounding like yet more rubbish printed as fact by UK Press.

As Dan pointed out, with Core being such a small developer, someone would of known something, yet every ex-Core person both myself and Unseen64 have contacted (and its a long list) know nothing.

Think that alone speaks for itself :-)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Wed May 04, 2016 5:15 pm

(sadly) not ST related, nor Chuck Rock II, but it does give credibility to idea Core Design more than happy to pull plug on conversions of Chuck Rock to platforms they found commercially dead:

"The project of porting Chuck Rock at one point was canceled by Core Design, the justification is that the market for the Commodore 64 was not in their interest. Softel instead referred to the Italian territory, where at the time they were still selling lots of games on tape, he agreed with the then manager of CORE to produce development with an Italian team that was put under contract with Genias."

http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/chuck-rock/

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 pm

dml has an amazing engine in development that maybe could work for a Chuck Rock 2 port one day:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29615&start=150#p294517

:cheers:

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu May 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Would be wonderful if 1 day it could be done.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Ok, mentioned elsewhere dissapointment that Litil Divil developers were only asked about unreleased SNES/MD Cartridge game (and MCD/SNES CD plans ) and NOTHING asked about annouced ST and Jaguar CD versions...

But so far (about a 1/3 way into book 2) nothing asked of Core Design's Jeremy Heath-Smith about annouced ST version of Chuck Rock II in A Gremlin In The Works, either...

I did email Mark in early days of the book, asking IF he wouldn't mind asking his contacts for the book about these, as it would clear up what became of them, but so far..nothing, still as much in the dark as i was before buying the book.

So Mark's not asked, Edge and RG never asked...is the ST really so undeserving of an extra Q in an interview?.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:21 am

lostdragon wrote:So Mark's not asked, Edge and RG never asked...is the ST really so undeserving of an extra Q in an interview?.

Simple question and nobody can be bothered to answer it :roll:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:41 am

I've had email from Mark, regarding why other than ST only games like 3D Galax, the ST is so over looked in A Gremlin In The Works and basically it sounds like he is considering a similar book for Core Design, he said most developers used the ST as a development system for other versions and the book focused on the big hitter titles...

Which is fine, but when your in contact with the likes of Jeremy Heath-Smith, firing over countless questions, would it really of hurt just to ask about ST Chuck Rock 2?

And that applies to Edge and RetroGamer magazine as well who've interviewed him.

Nice, straightforward question..yet no one asks it...

Shesh....

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Thread bump:

Did have 1 last crack at trying to find something out on this, another Ex-Core Design source approached (won't say whom, as my resident, ahem, 'online-follower' would only try and reach him or indeed her :) ) and try and get 1 over...

Asked for info on this, plus claims made in UK magazines Core were using ST/Amiga Thunderhawk engine for a second Jaguar XJ220 title-Nothing back in reply.

But then nothing back from later era staff on Core being invited over to Sega Japan to see prototype Dreamcast hardcare and whilst there seeing Saturn VF3 running on the upgrade cart or them doing the Scud Racer tech demo for sega to showcase DC hardware to potential developers.

So, another long shot....

up to the new breed of experts to find some results from here on in :)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 pm

So, i purchased a back issue of RetroGamer Magazine,issue 173...Chuck Rock feature.

Full credit to Nick Thorpe for asking Bob Churchill about the ST version of Chuck Rock II previewed by ST Review magazine.

Bob states it was probably NEVER in production in the 1st place, resources being better spent on the Sega versions..and Core were in the process of dropping support for the ST.

So,no surprises and it ties in with what likes of Richard Barclay have said about the money being with supporting Sega at that time.

But it's nice to finally have a degree of closure on this.

I've mocked RG as s paying customer, many a time before,for not asking the questions, I would of liked asked of Core Design, but Nick came through for us here.

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kodak80 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 pm

As the creator of this topic, I would like to say a big "Thank You" for all your time spent getting the answers. It has been very interesting reading the updates.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:26 pm

kodak80 wrote:As the creator of this topic, I would like to say a big "Thank You" for all your time spent getting the answers. It has been very interesting reading the updates.

Your more than welcome.

Credible Lost Games research has been at times a most frustrating, time consuming and thankless task, it's made me very unpopular at times for numerous reasons :), but that's all part of life.

Sorry it's taken so long and even now, we just have a best guess type answer, but i'm not 1 to 'rest' if i feel there's even the longest of shot's chance of someone out there having the information.

I'd like to thank all the Ex-Core Design staff for their kindness in replying, Unseen64 and GTW for passing on contact details, asking on my behalf and Nick Thorpe of RG for having the deceny for taking time to ask about it.

We work far better as a community pooling resources than we do as individuals.

AxelStone
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AxelStone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 am

I don't know if already answered, but here goes. In last issue of a spanish magazine, Retro Gamer, there is an interview to creators of Core Design and they ask precisely about this topic: Chuck Ruck 2 in Atari ST. There were even screenshots in 80's magazines but finally was not launched. The reason: they focused on Sega versions (MegaDrive and MegaCD), they were more profit than Atari ST one.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”