Best ST joypad?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

galvatron1983
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Best ST joypad?

Postby galvatron1983 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:59 pm

Had a weird issue when trying to use a Mega Drive/Genesis 6 button pad on my 1040STE, it disabled the mouse port when plugged in? Anybody else get that? Is it just a quirk with the 6button pad?

Anyways.....this got me thinking, what is the best joypad to use with the ST? I heard Master System pads are the best choice in terms of pads for other systems that work.

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Best ST joypad?

Postby English Invader » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Joystick all the way. A d-pad only gives you about 1/10 of the flexibility you need for home computer games.

My joystick of preference for the ST/Amiga/Spectrum/C64 is the Mindscape Powerplayer. Ideal for games that require a lot of precision like Stunt Car Racer.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:47 pm

My favourite joystick is the Phasor One: http://zonadepruebas.org/deepfb/ordenad ... phasor.jpg

EDIT: I was talking about joysticks. I don't like very much pads on Atari or Amiga because when I played with them in the past it was always with joystick like the Phasor One (I broke some... :lol: ) or keyboard+mouse in games like Battle of Britain
Last edited by qq1975b on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trying to learn...

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:48 pm

With a Mastersystem PAD you can get two button support if it is connected to the mouseport and if the game supports it.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:08 am

Due to starting out in circa 1979/80 with the 8-bit home micro computers, I have always preferred to use the keyboard first and foremost, and then only a joystick as a last resort or if it suited the game better, e.g. extreme punishing waggling games where only a tough Kempston Competition Pro or Powerplay Cruiser would survive! As for using a mouse for racing games etc.......WHAT!!!! 8O

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:00 am

I have to agree with the keyboard part - especially for RPG's with all those options.

When I'm using a joystick for a good shooter, I do prefer the Wico Boss and Ergostick.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:57 am

Zip Stik or Cheetah Mach 1 (both joysticks) were the best and most hard wearing I've ever used.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm

As far as joypads/gamepads go, the Sega Mastersystem pad is the way to go. I usually use these with my ST, and only break out the joysticks for a few certain games. A probably better alternative is the Sega Mark III pad. It's the same as the Mastersystem pad but slightly more ergonomic.
Member of the Atari Legend team

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:20 pm

bullis1 wrote:As far as joypads/gamepads go, the Sega Mastersystem pad is the way to go. I usually use these with my ST, and only break out the joysticks for a few certain games.

Agreed. Then use the Quickshot 2 Turbo. 8)

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:00 am

The Mega Drive/Genesis gamepads will *not* work in the ST's joystick port (both 3 & 6 button) because the extra button signals lock up the keyboard controler chip. That's why the mouse and keyboard lock up when you use it. Using it in the mouse port is fine though...

The SMS gamepad will work great though, hadn't tried the other Atari compatible ones.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:30 pm

Another +1 for the Master System pad. ZipStick or Competition Pro as my preferred joystick.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:11 am

Worth a watch

Atari STFM

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:20 am

Zamuel_a wrote:With a Mastersystem PAD you can get two button support if it is connected to the mouseport and if the game supports it.

Does anyone know of any Atari games that support this? I doubt it myself (I can possibly imagine this on Amiga, as both ports support the mouse with two buttons).
Atari STFM

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:48 am

catmando wrote:
Zamuel_a wrote:With a Mastersystem PAD you can get two button support if it is connected to the mouseport and if the game supports it.

Does anyone know of any Atari games that support this? I doubt it myself (I can possibly imagine this on Amiga, as both ports support the mouse with two buttons).

I have no idea, but I always prefered to use a game pad for platform games and want to have a separate button for jump and fire. I hate to use joystick up for jump. I never got any precision in the game by using this. I once rebuilt a NES gamepad to work on my ST and I connected the A button in parallel with the UP so that I could use the NES pad in the same way as most Nintendo games were made. Jump with A and fire with B. :)
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:11 am

Good video. Thanks for sharing.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 am

Interesting article on joysticks in ST Format, issue 2, page 17 onwards
Atari STFM

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Big joystick round-up in ST Format, issue 50, page 50-51
Atari STFM

leglod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leglod » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Quand j'utilisais encore le st dans les années 90 , j'avais bidouillé un joypad de megadrive , bouton B et C correspondaient a haut et bas du pad et donc d'un joystick !
Malheureusement, le jeux sur St sont tres mal adapter au pad je trouve et un joystick est mieux !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I still used the St in the 90, I hacked a joypad megadrive, button B and C correspond to the top and bottom of the pad and therefore a joystick!
Unfortunately, the games are very poorly St fit the pad and joystick I think is better!
Grilichili bruit de crayon sur papier.
Les dinosaures de la micro :) ... Mini-Z ...

Amimitl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Amimitl » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:29 pm

My Atari STE has a partially damaged joystick port, which means that the left button on joysticks doesn't work. So to play with a joystick I have to play left handed, which is awkward for me. So because of that I use a Master System gamepad, which kind of solves the problem, and I think that gamepad is good to use. The only downside is games, which uses "up" for jumping, or in the case of racing games, speeding, but you can get used to it.

But I agree with leglod, a joystick is the best controller to use to play games on an Atari ST, because of the fact that most of the games were made for the use of a joystick.

When it comes to my preferred joystick, I would say the ZiPSTiK. It's a good quality joystick, that don't easily wear out.

And when it comes to gamepads, I think the Master System is a good option, although I haven't tested any other alternatives. I don't think there are many alternatives to choose from though. I saw bullis1 mentioning the Mark III gamepad, which belonged to the original Japanese version of the Master System. But besides that I get the impression you have to do modifications to get other gamepads to work on an ST.
My Atari Computer: Atari 1040STE with HxC Floppy Emulator
Emulation: Hatari/STE/14MB/32MHz/TOS 1.62/Geneva/TeraDesk, ARAnyM/EmuTOS/FreeMiNT/fVDI/XaAES/TeraDesk
My Ordinary Computer: A regular Linux laptop + a Raspberry Pi 3

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:54 pm

I have the Cheetah Bollostick joypad which is great for a lot of games, but gives me hand cramps when you have to hold in one direction a lot (say for driving games). I also have the AM3 Action pad joypad (which I think was more for the Amiga) which is slightly overresponsive but has some smashing two speed autofire modes (makes Xenon 2 a piece of poo to complete).

Favourite joystick is the Quickshot Python 1m, which was the best stick I used (make sure it's the 'm' model though the Python 1 is not very nice at all).

I'd have to go with a -1 for the Master System controller, don't know whether the one I've got with the Master System is just knackered but I find it really spongey, and hard to consistently get the right angle when you want to move in a specific direction.
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:02 am

Amimitl wrote:My Atari STE has a partially damaged joystick port, which means that the left button on joysticks doesn't work. So to play with a joystick I have to play left handed, which is awkward for me. So because of that I use a Master System gamepad, which kind of solves the problem, and I think that gamepad is good to use. The only downside is games, which uses "up" for jumping, or in the case of racing games, speeding, but you can get used to it.

It is more likely that your joysticks are damaged and not the port as both fire buttons are wired to the same pin on the joystick port.

Open up the joystick and swap the fire button mircoswitches if you want to go back to playing right handed.
Atari STFM

Amimitl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Amimitl » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:34 am

catmando wrote:It is more likely that your joysticks are damaged and not the port as both fire buttons are wired to the same pin on the joystick port.

Open up the joystick and swap the fire button mircoswitches if you want to go back to playing right handed.

I think you may be right, I don't know why I got that assumption. It's a Zipstik I bought through eBay, it came in its original box, and seems to be in good condition, and both buttons feels, clicks and sounds the same, but I guess that doesn't have to mean anything.

When it comes to swapping the fire button microswitches, maybe I'll give it a go, if it's not too hard.
Emulation: Hatari/STE/14MB/32MHz/TOS 1.62/Geneva/TeraDesk, ARAnyM/EmuTOS/FreeMiNT/fVDI/XaAES/TeraDesk

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 am

Amimitl wrote:
catmando wrote:It is more likely that your joysticks are damaged and not the port as both fire buttons are wired to the same pin on the joystick port.

I think you may be right, I don't know why I got that assumption. It's a Zipstik I bought through eBay, it came in its original box, and seems to be in good condition, and both buttons feels, clicks and sounds the same, but I guess that doesn't have to mean anything.

When it comes to swapping the fire button microswitches, maybe I'll give it a go, if it's not too hard.

Yes, it's super-simple on a Zip-Stik, four screws on the base and you're in, then just unplug the bad microswitch and swap it for the good one. Used to do this all the time back in the day.
Atari STFM

Amimitl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Amimitl » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 pm

catmando wrote:Yes, it's super-simple on a Zip-Stik, four screws on the base and you're in, then just unplug the bad microswitch and swap it for the good one. Used to do this all the time back in the day.

I'm currently away from home, but I'll give it a go at a later point. And thanks for the tip by the way.

NikolaL
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby NikolaL » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Consider stfm(wery small) as rom computer. You enter floppy, and power on!
What happend next. Joystick, precision on swiches makes you playing with precision more then game. Then people me start to do post replys here to get joypad.
I really need atleast one, two is best for stfm.
Place for 5 volts, atleast 1000uF 6.3V or 16V capacitator into board at your psu power plug :wink:

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”