Dungeon Master (ST) versus Eye of Beholder (PC)?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Dungeon Master (ST) versus Eye of Beholder (PC)?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:30 pm

I prefer Dungeon Master (ST)
89%
I prefer Eye of Beholder (PC
11%

Total votes: 28

patrick295767
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Dungeon Master (ST) versus Eye of Beholder (PC)?

Postby patrick295767 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 pm

VanB wrote:EOTB is such a pretty game, the graphics were outstanding for the time.

But really I'd say that the best dungeon crawler ever is Captive. Captive to me is the best game ever made. It had just the right balance of exploration and grinding and leveling up. I still play it... I actually installed STeem on an old PC at work, and I play Captive while I wait on hard drives formats and OS installs. I'm just on the second base in mission 2, I think I got as far as mission 4 back in the day... I'd spend whole summers playing that game.

Also, the Ishar games were quite pretty on the ST - I just don't think DM looked very good, as a standard for ST games it looked great, but alongside Ishar, Captive and EOTB, the simple graphics let it down.

wow
Captive really? Do you still have still savegames of >10-20 levels ?

my floppy disk died ;) bad cluster, you may know that

VanB
Atarian
Atarian

Postby VanB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Yeah, I'll see what I have, I think my current characters are fairly decent, lots of money.

I never really got into Dungeon Master... but that's my own fault, only had a menu disk so could never work out the spells and stuff.

patrick295767
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby patrick295767 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:48 am

VanB wrote:Yeah, I'll see what I have, I think my current characters are fairly decent, lots of money.

I never really got into Dungeon Master... but that's my own fault, only had a menu disk so could never work out the spells and stuff.

The money I did have also quite a lot .... but the best of the best is the weaponry. The twin cannon was awesome.

VanB
Atarian
Atarian

Postby VanB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:23 pm

patrick295767 wrote:
VanB wrote:Yeah, I'll see what I have, I think my current characters are fairly decent, lots of money.

The money I did have also quite a lot .... but the best of the best is the weaponry. The twin cannon was awesome.

Yeah, I always get in trouble with the cannon's, end up killing the enemy then the cannon ball hits the wall behind, and bounces back hitting me :) - In my current save I have the single cannon's, not doubled yet.

I checked my save file, I'm just at the start of level 13, which is base 2 on mission 2, and it's bloody tricky... I'm actually struggling a bit to kill those floating ball enemies, they seem to move real quick and my usual side-step square-dance isn't quick enough. I do have over 300,000... getting to that point where the money bags become a burdon. Anyway let me know if you want me to stick it in an email.

patrick295767
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby patrick295767 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:31 pm

VanB wrote:
patrick295767 wrote:

Yeah, I always get in trouble with the cannon's, end up killing the enemy then the cannon ball hits the wall behind, and bounces back hitting me :) - In my current save I have the single cannon's, not doubled yet.

I checked my save file, I'm just at the start of level 13, which is base 2 on mission 2, and it's bloody tricky... I'm actually struggling a bit to kill those floating ball enemies, they seem to move real quick and my usual side-step square-dance isn't quick enough. I do have over 300,000... getting to that point where the money bags become a burdon. Anyway let me know if you want me to stick it in an email.

That's quite pretty fun when the cannon balls come back... better to not use it too much. I don't know if it is so much powerful. There are rifles like weapons maybe more powerful?
Not that bad... about the level. Sounds good to me, I like >10 Level. Would you have an ST or MSA of it? kind regards

Actually, about money, you can always use nhexeditor under Linux to update a bit the amount left ;) 65625 might be the max since it is an integer ...
I did that in the past ;) but once or twice

VanB
Atarian
Atarian

Postby VanB » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:02 pm

I always liked the machine guns, what I've been doing is trying to weigh up the cost of ammo, because I'm sure that most of the enemies right now are a bit weak to be wasting canon balls on. I tend to use machine guns and rifles mostly, shotguns are quite cheap on ammo I find.

I tend to just use snapshots, so if you use STEEM, I could just send the snapshot file. Probably just send it as a snapshot and a save game disk... will get that to you this afternoon.

patrick295767
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby patrick295767 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:43 pm

VanB wrote:I always liked the machine guns, what I've been doing is trying to weigh up the cost of ammo, because I'm sure that most of the enemies right now are a bit weak to be wasting canon balls on. I tend to use machine guns and rifles mostly, shotguns are quite cheap on ammo I find.

Oh this is so true. I remember so much now about this. I would be glad to try your savedisk...

VanB wrote: I tend to just use snapshots, so if you use STEEM, I could just send the snapshot file. Probably just send it as a snapshot and a save game disk... will get that to you this afternoon.

I use hatari... hmm, but you can or could restore a given snapshot, create a floppy disk as ST or MSA, and slot in, and then "save". If possible, I would be pleased to resume a level just better than the first one or from beginning.

I really like the sound fx, too, arent they available as wav... I google it now.

edit: So beautiful gfx: http://captive.atari.org/Environment/Walls/Walls.php
"...writing the game in 68000 assembler using HiSoft's GenAm. 9 months later, Captive was born." written in assembler, really?

http://captive.atari.org/Technical/Sounds/Sounds.php nope :(
anyone could separate the wavs into single ones, for a windows/linux theme: http://captive.atari.org/Technical/Soun ... Sounds.mp3

free captive:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-captive/

VanB
Atarian
Atarian

Postby VanB » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Sorry, been meaning to get back to you. Getting sick of Steem and gonna be switching to the mac + Hatari this weekend, so I'll get that save disc to you in a day or so.

Yeah, that Captive site is awesome, there's a lot of info there, even details about how he generates the levels and how they are rendered... they don't make programmers like Crowther anymore!

Lyverbe
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lyverbe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:49 am

patrick295767 wrote:I use hatari... hmm, but you can or could restore a given snapshot, create a floppy disk as ST or MSA, and slot in, and then "save". If possible, I would be pleased to resume a level just better than the first one or from beginning.

Use Steem instead and then use SuperCC to rebuild your characters to whatever you like and start at the mission you desire. See http://captive.atari.org/Miscellaneous/Tools/Tools.php

patrick295767 wrote:free captive:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-captive/

See bottom of http://captive.atari.org/Miscellaneous/FAQ/FAQ.php

VanB wrote:Yeah, that Captive site is awesome

Thank you :)
The Ultimate Captive Guide: http://captive.atari.org

patrick295767
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby patrick295767 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:44 am

calimero wrote:I never played Captive... but I always admire Ads from Mags back in days... :)

Do you prefer Captive over Dungeon Master? (did you play DM?)

DM was nice to play. (Years ago) I played after playing soccer several hours usually, well, maybe to relax.

With Captive, I managed to get to the level ~15 approx. I liked the twin-bazooka, that allowed to secured rooms while catching up the money.

Spectone
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Spectone » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:40 am

Recently I have been playing Might and Magic 1 DOS version. My party died twice before leaving the first town grr. Also Legend of Grimrock on PC. Maybe I should try DM on the ST.

Have also been reading the book Dungeons and Desktops the history of computer role-playing. Very interesting seeing the all the different RP games and how they worked.

Grimmsqueaker
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Grimmsqueaker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Personally I prefer Eye of the Beholder out of the 2 games

However, given a wider choice it is Bards Tale series all the way

Recently though I have been playing Wasteland on PC and Ultima Underworld on PC which I got from GOG a few month back

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 pm

patrick295767 wrote:If you google "native 256 colors linux games", you get dosbox. Seems that coding on 256 colors is no longer existing at all. To code using borland C and dosbox, well. ... I not fan so much about this.

256-color modes are supported fine e.g. by SDL on PC. But if you don't need to limit yourself to 256 colors (i.e. reducing colors in your graphics, switching palette etc [1]) for performance reasons, why would you want to?

On Atari Falcon, 16-bit (65k colors) can even be faster than 8-bit (256 color) graphics because 8-bit mode is planar, and doing chunky->planar conversion for that many planes takes a lot of CPU for something as underpowered as Falcon.

[1] This is what was needed to be done in Quake code: http://fabiensanglard.net/quake2/quake2 ... nderer.php

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:52 pm

we have a 256 colors version of Eye of the beholder I and II for A1200 (in english, french, german and italian :) )

So i guess a port for atari falcon would be easily done.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

VanB
Atarian
Atarian

Postby VanB » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 pm

By the time I got onto PC gaming EoTB was a bit old, and I never had an Amiga, so I only played it on the SNES... but even on that it's a great game.

Actually, they released it for the Lynx... wonder how it plays... might have to scour eBay.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:20 am

Good luck with that. (and btw, it plays great on the Lynx!) :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 am

I played DM for the first time a few days ago and the game doesn't take long to show you why it's the killer app on the ST. The game oozes class from the moment that dungeon gate opens.

PasMus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby PasMus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:09 pm

calimero wrote:I never played Captive... but I always admire Ads from Mags back in days... :)

Do you prefer Captive over Dungeon Master? (did you play DM?)

Hello,
yes, I prefer Dungeon Master, it seems to me the game scenario is more smooth and the final reveal is slower.
My work: Šroubové kompresory
My hobby: Especially Chess:) on my Atari 130XE, Graphics rendering, Games fanatic.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Fantastic to see Captive mentioned, i followed that game since it was featured in ACE magazine where readers had a chance to name the game, whilst in development.

Seems Tony C.wasn't that much of an ST fan himself though:

Title Dungeon Master (Third Review)
Submission Tony Crowther (Celebrity Reviewer)

What was it I liked about "Dungeon Master"? To my eyes, it was just well
cool! Some games have only got visual appeal, but with Dungeon Master you
could really live in it, totally immersed in the game with it's corridors
and the little beasties.
I saw it on the Atari ST first, and I waited ages for the Amiga version.
Why? Because ST's weren't very nice, you always seemed to get a cut down
version. I'd really gone from the C64 straight to the Amiga. My ST was out
of the way on top of a cupboard, it was good that it had a midi port as
standard, but I wanted "Dungeon Master" on the Amiga.

http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBA1/DungM3.html

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”