Never Ported respectively released for ST

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm

I fully understood why the game wasn't going to appear..games were being developed on far more powerful hardware for the PC and the American market. ..

It's just the way it was handled.

It was obvious to STFM owners like myself that developers had switched to producing games on the Amiga 1st, with ST versions following month or months behind..If at all..

And that the PC was becoming a major force in the USA..where the ST was a long dead format, so it wouldn't of offended me for them to be brutally honest and just say the hardware can't handle it and there simply isn't a viable commercial market to have someone convert it to the ST.


Lucasarts had deals in publishing with publishers locally, us gold for UK, Ubisoft for France, Softgold for germany, etc.

Have you seen how the SCUMM engine is, i mean how the datas are in the files ?

The file structure is exactly the same on Amiga as it is on PC. And i guess that their tool was batching all the graphics from 256 to 32 colors.

I'm sure they have done some tests to port Indy 4 on Atari ST. and the results were bad, hence the sentence you read.

Indy 4 is just a huge game, with tons of graphics, so that's impossible to have someone rework all of them in 16 colors.

the problem for releasing indy 4 on ST was technical, and not a market problem. Because they knew they would have sold lots of them on the ST, considering the huge license it is still to this day.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 3418
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby ijor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Indy 4 is just a huge game, with tons of graphics, so that's impossible to have someone rework all of them in 16 colors.
...
the problem for releasing indy 4 on ST was technical, and not a market problem. Because they knew they would have sold lots of them on the ST, considering the huge license it is still to this day.


It is always a matter of marketing. Lots of games were ported to the PC with CGA and they look, honestly, pretty ugly. For the huge PC market it usually was worth, in that case they didn't care about technical limitations.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm no doubting anything on technical side of Indy 4, but by time it was annouced, KEY UK publishers/software houses etc were reporting the rapid decline in ST copies of their games compared to the Amiga.

People:like:Audiogenic, Virgin, Bitmap Bros, David Braben, Reflections etc etc.

The ST market was just dissapearing like snow before the sun.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 pm

alexh wrote:You think they might have it in a backup?

I'm interested but not trawling through millions of pages to find something which may or may not exist.

Especially as there was an unreleased overhead tank game which used rotating playfields called Rotator by Rainbow Arts written by reLINE

http://hol.abime.net/4429

http://amr.abime.net/issue_72_pages (page 11)



From personal experience, i sadly doubt it.

I've lost a lot of material from interviews done on behalf of sites/publications like:

Grumpy Old Gamers/RVG/Classic Console Magazine...which closed or removed content but whilst my stuff was taken down, they had no back-up files.

It was such an obscure reference i didn't bother keeping copy of magazine scan itself.

So many claims in UK Press have lead to utter wild goose chases, just had a reply back in from a coder this afternoon that pours scorn on yet another UK magazine claiming a game started out as something else to what we now know it as.

So much speculation printed as fact, false quotes given etc by UK press over the years.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Not Rotator.. That was previewed in Feb 91 issue of The One.

User avatar
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby christos » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 pm

If you think the uk press was bad.. a greek magazine did a full page review of disposable hero on the st. They even commented on the quality of the samples and said the amiga version was very similar. So i add disposable hero on the list and i am looking for any copy.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

User avatar
Hazzardus
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Hove Beach (Woodingdean now haha)

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby Hazzardus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Indy 4 (the SCUMM adventure) on the Amiga wasn't even downgraded from 256 to 32 colours, pretty sure it had only a 24 colour pallete throughout.

And at least we did (sort of) get Indy 4 on ST :D

Own: 520STFM, 1040STE, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (The first one with the crap paint :lol: ), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 am

Indy 4 FOA on Amiga use indeed 32 colors. You can check it with a SCUMM editor.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

User avatar
Hazzardus
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Hove Beach (Woodingdean now haha)

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby Hazzardus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:57 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Indy 4 FOA on Amiga use indeed 32 colors. You can check it with a SCUMM editor.


You are right, sorry I was thinking of another game...
Own: 520STFM, 1040STE, Falcon 030, Atari Lynx (The first one with the crap paint :lol: ), Jaguar and too many x680x0 Macs to list, oh and also an Amiga 1200 (Boo!)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm

christos wrote:If you think the uk press was bad.. a greek magazine did a full page review of disposable hero on the st. They even commented on the quality of the samples and said the amiga version was very similar. So i add disposable hero on the list and i am looking for any copy.

Wowza..

Looks like UK Press was sadly in very good company.

I can never take the role of games jurnolist seriously anymore after reading so many false claims have been made.

Many months ago, GTW were looking into C64 Charlie Chaplin (US Gold) and question of the ST version came up, as screens shown in various magazines etc.

C+VG claimed the ST (and CPC) versions were 'Equally as bad' as the ZX Spectrum version they had reviewed..we have yet to see any proof work on the ST version ever progressed beyond a couple of potentially mocked-up screens, so how on earth they claim to of had a playable version is beyond me.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Another i wasn't aware of:


Ocean Software having Paid Imagitec Design to write Renegade III for the ST/Amiga...

Supposedly 50+ done by time one of the coders left..no A.I, place holder graphics etc.

I had the C64 version, looked lovely, but played like an utter dog.

Still, another for the list.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Sat May 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Grand Prix...supposed to join likes of 9 Lives, Defender II, Photon Storm etc on the ARC label

User avatar
tresas
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:10 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby tresas » Sun May 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Turrican 3...
Atari Jackintosh for ever!

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Remember seeing a claim that suggested Interceptor (E.A) never made it to ST as coder found it rather ironic that the very people who'd bought the ST as it was cheaper than the Amiga, had killed it by pirating it's software...

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Another update:

Super Thief was started by Palace and by all accounts was pretty well advanced
(and good) when it was shelved.
I am not sure of the programmer (Possibly Sean Griffith from Magic Pockets/
Rise of the Robots fame, but don't quote me on that) but the graphics were
done by Dan Malone (Who did the 'Antidiad' graphics and Comic with the game)
as well as, more recently, graphics on SPEEDBALL II, CADAVER and CHAOS ENGINE.
I am not too sure why it was scrapped
STEVE KELLY

User avatar
leech
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1162
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby leech » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:02 pm

lostdragon wrote:Remember seeing a claim that suggested Interceptor (E.A) never made it to ST as coder found it rather ironic that the very people who'd bought the ST as it was cheaper than the Amiga, had killed it by pirating it's software...

There was just as much, if not more piracy for the Amiga and PC though. The main difference being that you actually could purchase software for the PC in the USA. There were so few shops that sold ST/Amiga games here, especially after about 1991 or so.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

User avatar
dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 pm

leech wrote:
lostdragon wrote:Remember seeing a claim that suggested Interceptor (E.A) never made it to ST as coder found it rather ironic that the very people who'd bought the ST as it was cheaper than the Amiga, had killed it by pirating it's software...

There was just as much, if not more piracy for the Amiga and PC though. The main difference being that you actually could purchase software for the PC in the USA. There were so few shops that sold ST/Amiga games here, especially after about 1991 or so.


From what i picked here and there, the ST had much more piracy than the Amiga. Amiga users, independantly from piracy were buying way more original games than the ST users.

Just a game like Mortal Kombat II sold on A500 in 1994 120.000 copies (source : programmer).
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

User avatar
leech
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1162
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby leech » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:
leech wrote:
lostdragon wrote:Remember seeing a claim that suggested Interceptor (E.A) never made it to ST as coder found it rather ironic that the very people who'd bought the ST as it was cheaper than the Amiga, had killed it by pirating it's software...

There was just as much, if not more piracy for the Amiga and PC though. The main difference being that you actually could purchase software for the PC in the USA. There were so few shops that sold ST/Amiga games here, especially after about 1991 or so.


From what i picked here and there, the ST had much more piracy than the Amiga. Amiga users, independantly from piracy were buying way more original games than the ST users.

Just a game like Mortal Kombat II sold on A500 in 1994 120.000 copies (source : programmer).

I will admit my experience might be a little skewed, since I got my Mega STe in about 92, some friends had STs, some had Amigas and I couldn't find a good source, commercial or otherwise, of ST software anywhere. A good chunk of the disks I have are because some guy sold me a ton of stuff. But there were plenty of Amiga pirate boards around.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)


Social Media

     

Return to “Games - General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest