All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Pacmania STE

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:00 pm

qq1975b once wrote:

Pacmania is one of my most liked games but was terrible compared to the Amiga version.
But, with the launch of the STe...nobody made an enhanced STe version of this game, am I right?

No you are not right. There is an STE version of Pacmania and here it is :wink:

PAC_STE.zip

EDIT 1: This is an updated version with the applause in the intermission sequences

EDIT 2: Updated version with some graphical errors fixed - 24/2 - 2013

EDIT 3: Applause added after level is completed, continue function didn't work so that should be fixed - 25/2 - 2013

EDIT 4: Small update - 27/2 - 2013
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zamuel_a on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Pacmania STE

Postby dma » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Wow, very good, congratulations on the remake, it plays marvellously!
Screen overscan sometimes jumps for a microsecond though (tested on real STe).

I like the way pills gets into pacman's mouth, very nice touch.
Also the ghost "sheet" animations are really cool.
Digital sound effects also fit great along original YM tunes, good volume balance.

So once again, thanks for this!

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm being a bit thick here, is this the final finished product from the other thread, or is there still some more work to do?

Either way, cool stuff indeed. 8)
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:39 pm

This is the final release but please test and report if there are any bugs and I will see if I can do anything to fix it. I know that the overscan can jump sometimes. The game takes more or less 100% CPU time so I have nothing left for anything else, so sometimes I think it takes 101% or something and it makes the overscan jump. I might find a way to fix it, but it doesn't effect the gameplay I think.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Wow! Well done for seeing this one through to the end, and thanks for all your time and effort. :cheers:

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Congratulations on getting it done! It's hard to see a project through to the end.

I won't get a chance to look at it properly until during the week but I'll definitely spend some time with it then, and report back :)

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi
I just try it in STeem and it work beautiful,
Great work. :cheers:
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Also works great in Hatari.

Quality control is spot on.

Note to self - Must-not-mistime-Pacman-jumping-him-straight-into-the-ghosts!!

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:25 pm

This project was alittle bit more difficult to convert than what I had first suspected. The only thing I could use from the original ST version was the game logic, collision detection and the music player. The rest is rewritten from scratch. First I had planned to keep the original intro menu but it looked like crap compared to the Amiga version so I had to redo it. The Amiga menu screen used 32 colors and I tried to convert it to 16, but it never turned out good so I had to keep it at 32 colors. That's why the gray background can't be behind the Pacmania logo. I do a palette split here :wink: The Amiga level select screen don't look so good I think so I used the arcade version here. It's also 32 colors with 16 colors for the levels and 16 colors for the selected level (the one in blue).
All sprites are drawn with the blitter and the palette is setup so that I can do it as fast as possible. The score display is drawn in 1 bitplane, the lifes in 2 bitplanes and the ghosts in 3 bitplanes. This needs a 2Mb machine as a minimum or else it can't run. I had to use alot of memory to be able to run it at 50fps.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Incredible, well done for seeing the project through to the end, really impressive stuff :D

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 am

Had one tiny glitch just now, where the screen blanked for the duration of a frame (in Hatari), not sure if that's down to the near-101% CPU use or not. Also, another thing which I think is a hangover from the original ST or arcade version is that some of the text lacks apostrophes (sometimes "let's" is spelled "lets"). Totally minor but the automatic proofreader in me can't help but spot it.

Nothing major at all though, hats off to you for a job well done.
Last edited by junosix on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 am

Had it glitching out quite a bit on sandbox land, and on Pacman's Park stage 2 some of the ghosts disappeared. Notice too that the bottom few scanlines show slightly offset/corrupted graphics data, maybe simply cutting out those two scanlines might ease the load on the CPU enough? Don't know if that's stuff you've observed too but thought it was worth a mention.

EDIT - Glitches if the emulator's run at 32MHz as well, don't know if that's relevant.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:14 am

Had it glitching out quite a bit on sandbox land, and on Pacman's Park stage 2 some of the ghosts disappeared. Notice too that the bottom few scanlines show slightly offset/corrupted graphics data, maybe simply cutting out those two scanlines might ease the load on the CPU enough?

I haven't tested it so much in Hatari. Only in STEEM and on a real STE (and Mega STE) and it seems to work fine on those. One thing I have seen in Hatari is that the screen is bigger than on a real machine, so you see more lines here than what you will on a regular CRT monitor (or in STEEM). That's why you see the garbage at the bottom. I can fix this very easily. Just have to check it on a real machine first to see that it works.
What I do is that on the last visible line, I must set the HSCROLL register to 0 or else the first visible line in the next frame is moved 16 pixels to the left (the STE extra 16 pixel trick) and the only way I found to prevent this was to set HSCROLL to 0 on the last line in the previous frame, which isn't a problem unless you use Hatari that shows EVERYTHING :wink:
I will try on a real machine to see if I can get the Timer B to trigger on a line that is not visible on either Hatari or a STE.

maybe simply cutting out those two scanlines might ease the load on the CPU enough

Because I'm using the STE hardware scroller, the size of the display doesn't matter. It takes the same amount of CPU time independent from the number of lines showed. Actually it's more tricky to reduce the number of lines because you can not define what you want to show. You would have to do a split screen so even if it looked like the screen was smaller, it would in reality be the same size, only that you would show a black screen instead of anything useful.

I'm not sure it's the CPU that goes > 100% that cause some flicker. If you have 5 visible lifes on screen and all ghosts in the view plus the bonus item and 2 yellow pills (the ones you eat to make the ghosts blue), then you are close to 100% but I have seen the flicker even with less stuff on screen. I think it's the ACIA interrupt that interferes with the overscan routines or cause an interrupt at a bad time.

I think is a hangover from the original ST or arcade version is that some of the text lacks apostrophes (sometimes "let's" is spelled "lets")

I have fixed it now for the next version. :wink:

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

I haven't played it yet but all in all: incredible piece of work. This is the only project of the "let's do a remake with proper STE features"-sort that did get finished.
This feat alone is worth a lot of applause.

Extremely well done! :cheers:

How about saving highscores to disk? It's the only feature missing after a few test rounds.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Wow, thanks alot Zamuel_a! You have done an amazing job! Even the score bug is fixed :wink:
I'm looking forward to play it more when time allow me to! I like how the soundeffects work and the look of the levels and colorful ghosts, the game is like an rainbow now. Shows how much our beloved STE can do.

Only have one small wish for version 1.1 if there is one:
The clapping hands & cheering sound from the original ST version pacman theatre reinserted.
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Good explanation, Zamuel_a. Didn't realise Hatari showed more of the screen than is actually displayed!

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 pm

The clapping hands & cheering sound from the original ST version pacman theatre reinserted.

This is not so easy to do. The original clapping was a sample played with the YM chip on a timer B interrupt and that code is long gone. I would have to resample it and play it as a regular DMA sample, which isn't a problem. I just need to get the sample :wink:

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm

GREAT!!!
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Does this need to get re-cracked by Klaz now :D

8)

nice job
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00 pm

It is already cracked :wink:

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 pm

I tried to find a way to fix the flicker issue and by turning off the keyboard and joystick with move.b #$13,$FFFFFC02.w and on again with move.b #$11,$FFFFFC02.w so that it is disabled during the overscan routine. This seems to fix the problem, but if I move the joystick fast in all directions everything hangs so nothing happens when I move the joystick again. Do anyone have any good suggestions on how to solve this?

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:I tried to find a way to fix the flicker issue and by turning off the keyboard and joystick with move.b #$13,$FFFFFC02.w and on again with move.b #$11,$FFFFFC02.w so that it is disabled during the overscan routine. This seems to fix the problem, but if I move the joystick fast in all directions everything hangs so nothing happens when I move the joystick again. Do anyone have any good suggestions on how to solve this?

It's an STE :) You could force people to use joypads instead. But ok, that's a nasty (albeit effective) way to solve things...
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:I just need to get the sample :wink:

Here are all the (mono) samples from the X68000 PacMania version. The "out.pcm" is the raw pcm format and "out.wav" has been converted using sox:

Code: Select all

sox -t raw -c 1 -e signed-integer -b 8 -r 12500 out.pcm -t wav out.wav

You only need to cut out the appropriate sample. ;)

Cheers
Sascha

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 pm

cool, but to use it I need to have it at 25,033khz or higher so I can downsample it.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:cool, but to use it I need to have it at 25,033khz or higher so I can downsample it.

sox can convert it to whatever you need. What is your target sample rate? I guess you need to have a stereo sample as well!?

Edit: I guess you need at least 25033 Hz so here you can find the complete sample file converted to stereo and 25033 Hz.

Edit2: since the original sample rate is 15.6 kHz (actually taken from the IOCS call _ADPCMOUT) so the command line to convert it was:

Code: Select all

sox -t raw -c 1 -e signed-integer -b 8 -r 15600 out.pcm -t wav -c 2 -r 25033 out2.wav

Cheers
Sascha
Last edited by Anima on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”