All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Audio vs Amiga

Postby FedePede04 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 am

ljbk wrote:Hi Frank,

Volume control, done the accurate way, is a set of 65 tables, where a entering 8 bit sample byte will be converted into a 8bit result sample volumed byte.
For speed reasons the original samples resolution can be reduced to 7 bits and bit 0 set to 0 to have a word boundary access to those tables and get as a result a word instead of a byte.
Volume is not fixed for each sample and can change on the fly with values from 0 to 64 (HW values from Amiga).
If everything was to be pre-computed, then one would need 64 samples for each original sample (volume 0 could be spared). That would be a huge memory area.

Hi Peter,

The info i gave you about registers usage, was by looking fast at that book you refer (La Bible ST in french).
I forgot to refer Mouse, Keyboard and other device interrupts handling which have to be taken into account if you wish to keep them available.
Something you can do is to build a small program where you set the registers to specific values like $01234567 and after $FEDCBA98, do what you need with TOS/GEM and then you check the registers values to see which have changed and which have not.

Paulo.

Hi Paulo.
i know that you just had a quick look,
but by the quick look i had, then it look, that you are spot on regarding the Addr. Reg.

I had just hope, that maybe there was some clean regs, there was not altered by any things, but i will survive, I just make two routines one with push/pops and one with out.
it is not so important right now, my sound project is on hold for the moment, i am working on a other program for windows.
but now the core is more or less finish for the synth wave routine, so i have learn a lot the last couple of days

but general my biggest problem today, when coding for the ST, is that all the books i used to have, i have thrown out, i only save a few of them :(
so sometime i have a very hard time to finds the information i needed, so that's probably why, i sometimes ask some stupid questions :D

but many thanks for your help Paulo I appreciate it very much.

Cheers
Peter
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ljbk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi !

I just uploaded a 47.2 KHz version of my 4 voices player on STF here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&p=214543#p214543

You can now listen to the Agony intro mod i refered previously on a 1MB STF. It sounds not bad at all on my STF: not too far from a STE or an Amiga but it uses 100% CPU ...

Cheers,
Paulo.

metalages
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby metalages » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Looking for info / facts about Microwire, I have found this old thread about sound routines.
Let's wake it up with stats coming from another stuff... :)
Here is my approach : https://github.com/gibs75/demOS/blob/ma ... /README.md
Keeping things fast, let's say below 16 cycles per sample per voice is indeed very constraining but fonctionnal (on STe)

AxelStone
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AxelStone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:27 am

FedePede04 wrote:personally i don't think the Amiga was better, all my friends had and made music on the Amiga, i also made a few scores.
i think that the Amiga sound output was to distorted and the sound clarity was to poor, and it is even worse if you hear it today,
because the sampling sound is so good today.
if you hear the ym-sound today it will still sound clean..

It's curious but I think quite similar. If you use today a good speakers and sound system, Yamaha chip is going to produce a cristal clear sound, you get sound nuances that most probably couldn't ear in 80's.

From my point of view, Amiga and SNES have sound chips with too much low pass filter, the final result is in someway "not so good".

In my personal opinion.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am

metalages wrote:Looking for info / facts about Microwire, I have found this old thread about sound routines.
Let's wake it up with stats coming from another stuff... :)
Here is my approach : https://github.com/gibs75/demOS/blob/ma ... /README.md
Keeping things fast, let's say below 16 cycles per sample per voice is indeed very constraining but fonctionnal (on STe)

that sounds cool,
especially in this part - dedicated tracked for sound engine, if I'm not wrong:

Code: Select all

Edition Tool
Instead of a .MOD converter would be great to have a dedicated edition tool...
Having a richer concept for instruments (like in YM trackers)
Having YM available in parallel :)
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

metalages

Postby metalages » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 am

Note this is a chapter named "possible future improvements" :)
But yeah having ym in parallel with this routine would be really complementary.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”