Bent shutter on floppy disk - best solution?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Bent shutter on floppy disk - best solution?

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:56 pm

What's the best way to deal with a bent/damaged shutter (in this case severly bent) on a floppy disk?

I remember a hilarious incident years ago where a friend got a disk stuck in his floppy drive for this very reason. Obviously, I'd rather avoid this outcome at all cost!

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Bent shutter on floppy disk - best solution?

Postby spiny » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:48 pm

pull it off and throw it away.
then copy the disk to an undamaged one, or keep the original in a sleeve.

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:31 pm

I remember years ago working out how to remove the shutters without bending them, and then transferring shutters from dead disks with good shutters to good disks with bad shutters. Stupidly I can't quite remember how to do it! :roll: (I vaguely remember you had to kind of lift one end up and kind of rotate it out while sliding the shutter back). It can be done though, just practise on a dead disk. Don't just pull on it though.
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:39 pm

seriously, just pull it off :) its only held on by a little spring that you'll see when the shutter is gone, and you can just pull that of too.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 pm

As per Spiny, remove it totally.
Transfer the data to a new floppy.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks for the tips.

The shutter is definately coming off, no way am I going to try using it as is.

I like the idea of replacing the shutter, as it is on an original game disk (creating a working physical backup disk wouldn't really an option therefore). Maybe I'll try and dissect an old dead disk to try and work out how these things are put together. :) I guess until then I'll be storing it in one of those plastic disk sleeves (minus the shutter ;) ).

synthjoe
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby synthjoe » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 am

wongck wrote:As per Spiny, remove it totally.
Transfer the data to a new floppy.

+1
Even if you cannot replace, removing is your best option. 5.25" disks lived without a shutter since forever. I'm not saying it is good practice, but viable (remember using a sleeve).

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

X3peri_MENTaL wrote:I like the idea of replacing the shutter, as it is on an original game disk (creating a working physical backup disk wouldn't really an option therefore). Maybe I'll try and dissect an old dead disk to try and work out how these things are put together. :) I guess until then I'll be storing it in one of those plastic disk sleeves (minus the shutter ;) ).

It's super easy to remove and reattach shutters. The following should, from memory, be the kind of procedure - try it on a dead disk:

• look at the shutter end of the disk case, in the area that the shutter slides into when it opens.
  • find the end of the small spring and lever it out towards you with a fingernail or some fine needle-nosed pliers. Don't lose it! (I have a stash in a box somewhere) Note the little notch and tab on the slider that the spring pushes against.
  • The slider should now slide freely. Move it to the "closed" position, and gently slide it to the "open" position while also pulling away from the centre of the disk. It should click a little as it comes away, and depending on the way it's built it might scrape slightly, but it should come off.
  • Before doing anything else with the slider, inspect it for any bending, and straighten it out if necessary. If you go too far, though, your slider will end up too stiff to slide well and it'll put some extra pressure on the drive mechanics.
  • Push the slider back on in the "open" position and then slide it across to the "closed" position to snap back in.
  • Once it's in place, get the spring and push one end back in to push on the tab on the slider.
  • Using the other end of the spring, feed the round spring part into the body of the disk and then let the end snap into place back where you first pulled it out.

Maybe I'll do like a howto photo guide or something, when I have time... :)

synthjoe
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby synthjoe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 pm

daeghnao wrote:Maybe I'll do like a howto photo guide or something, when I have time... :)

That would be really nice as I tried to master this in the last 20 years but never managed... I got always blocked at the point, where I should pull the shutter away from the center - the little lip going into the groove never gave, so mostly I ended up pulling away one or both sides of the shutter which finally made things worse than they were, usually. Never too late to learn something new! :D

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Many thanks daeghnao. :D

After the best part of 90 minutes and the sacrifice of 3 HD disks (I didn't care for their contents) I now have a perfect shutter on the game disk.

The trickiest part appears to be getting the new/replacement shutter off the disk without shearing off the 2 little lips on the shutter that sit in the groove/rail 3mm from the top of the disk (look at the side of the disk with the round metal hub for the groove). To be honest I overlooked this lip/groove thing twice and wondered why the hell the shutter could lift vertically from the game disk even though the spring was working (yup I'd damaged the shutter... twice!).

Anyway like a rubiks cube, there appears to be a very definite knack/technique to doing this. Shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Now I just need to check the disks works. I won't be too surprised if it doesn't though, as I was a tad ham fisted to begin with. :lol:

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:18 pm

daeghnao wrote:
  • Push the slider back on in the "open" position and then slide it across to the "closed" position to snap back in.
  • Once it's in place, get the spring and push one end back in to push on the tab on the slider.
  • Using the other end of the spring, feed the round spring part into the body of the disk and then let the end snap into place back where you first pulled it out.

This is the part where you need nimble hands and oodles of patience. I actually couldn't do it the way described... my hands are obviously too big and oaf like. :lol:

What I did is this (see diagram to go with descriptions):

[1] Anchor one side of the spring back into the edge of the disk.
    [2] Put slider partially on, then place other edge of spring against tab/catch on slider.
    [3] Now push slider vertically down so that it sits on disk properly. The spring should now be trapped/attached at both ends.
    [4] All that remains is to push the spring 'coil' (which is effectively inverted) back inside the disk casing. A gentle downward push should see it disappear into the disk.
    [5] The shutter should now be spring loaded again

Fixed an old PD disk ( ;) ) with a dodgy shutter using this technique also. Took 60 seconds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks Daeghnao and X3peri, I can't help but think that this is going to come in very handy sooner or later. :cheers:
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Baz
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Baz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:04 pm

I used to use a staple remover with the two of the remover prongs under the back 'aperture', straddling the lip, gripping and then quickly pulling up.
The remover had the effect of raising the lip over the plastic, reducing the risk of damaging a good shutter.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”