All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Copying .ST Games back to Floppy

Postby Beaps » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi All,

I dug my 1040ST out the loft as I bought it years ago and have never had chance to test/play.

I dont have any games to play only a few multimedia floppys. I went do my local Car Boot & picked up a Dell external floppy drive USB (my PC does not have a floppy drive)

How easy if it to format some of the old crap disks & write .st images to them so I can play them on the machine?

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Copying .ST Games back to Floppy

Postby daeghnao » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:51 am

USB floppy drives come with a predefined set of available formats with which to format a disk, so if you're looking to write something that isn't a 9-sector, 80-track disk you may need to format on the ST with something that can make a disk that a PC understands and then use it in the USB drive. If you're on Windows, you've got the additional problem of how to write directly to the disk - I don't know anything about this area. On Linux, it seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I've not played with it much. Something else to look at over Easter...

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:42 am

USB is not good for writing Atari floppy images. And it is same under any OS. Even formatting floppy on Atari to 800KB will not help - because writing will just skip 10-th sector on tracks, so you will get unusable floppy, with missing parts.

I think that cheapest way (but needs some space) is using some old(er) PC, with built in floppy drive. Then you may perform disk image writings properly and fast.
What kind of PC ? Something what can run XP, so even Celeron, K6 based (400 MHz) is good, with 128-256MB. But for instance even miracle is possible with very old 486, P1 system and WIndows 95 : it can handle directly 800K floppies and will recognise even those formatted under TOS 1.00 . On such may run MAKEDISK for writing image files.

Some more info: http://forum.8bitchip.info/faq/

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Beaps » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 am

I am running XP & I managed to find a prog called STdisk.

Followed the instructions & managed to write a few games back to disk. There were a few failures although I am not sure why?

Still I can play some games so its a start.

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:12 am

Beaps wrote:I am running XP & I managed to find a prog called STdisk.
Followed the instructions & managed to write a few games back to disk. There were a few failures although I am not sure why?
Still I can play some games so its a start.

Because XP has incompatible driver. Any program which works via regular XP floppy driver will fail with 800K floppies. Please read FAQ on links suplied. It is very old and for some poeple boring subject.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”