All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

fatboy
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Very RARE game????

Postby fatboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi!,
Just bought a box of ST games and came across a magnetic scrolls game called myth? after a bit of research I saw the same game for the Amiga listed for £300 (saying it's ultra rare and only given to members?).

This is EXACTLY the same packaging as the Amiga version but I cant find ant more details when I google it?

Any idea's???

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Very RARE game????

Postby Belgarath » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Link to some info about the Amiga version.

http://hol.abime.net/2540

I wouldn't say it was very rare but I'm not sure about how many copies were made, I certaintly wouldn't pay £300 for it! But it's a nice find nontheless :)

fatboy
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fatboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Still very little ST information out there?
I'd like to find out a bit of history behind these members only releases.

I like 'odd' stuff.....something a bit different.....even if I'm rubbish at adventure games ;-(

fatboy
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fatboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:08 pm

just pulled this off HOL
*This game is exceptionally rare. It was exclusively available as a welcome present in the UK adventure club
Official Secrets and never released to the public.

I guess not to be confused with MYTH the platform type game!

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Sometimes what's rare on Amiga is common on Atari (but only sometimes).

This game has an entry for Atari ST on Atarilegend, with screenshots if anyone is interested. It seems that at least somebody has found the ST version other than yourself.

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... me_id=3980

Also, searching for "Myth" in ST Disk Detective reveals that this game can be found on a number of menu disks. That still doesn't mean it wasn't rare though.

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Just bought a box of ST games and came across a magnetic scrolls game called myth? after a bit of research I saw the same game for the Amiga listed for £300 (saying it's ultra rare and only given to members?).

From Wikipedia;

"Myth was released in 1989 through Official Secrets, an adventure gaming club set up by Tony Rainbird after he (and Magnetic Scrolls) parted ways with Telecomsoft. Now based in Hertfordshire, Magnetic Scrolls produced this mini-adventure as a freebie that would be given away to those who signed up to join Official Secrets. The gaming club didn't last long, however, and was quickly assimilated into Tony Rainbird's new Special Reserve company, specializing in mail order computer hardware and software."

It might be 'rare' as in an unusual and limited channel of distribution, but it sounds like someone is being a profiteering wee-taker here :lol:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:13 pm

It does crop up occasionally on ePrey but sometimes people also find the same pages in Google and want silly money for it :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

punkrulesok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby punkrulesok » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:17 pm

on the subject, Myth the platform was great on the Speccy and the Amiga, and it's a pitty that it wasn't released on the ST. Although no doubt the scrolling would've sucked on the ST version :lol:

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:22 pm

punkrulesok wrote: Although no doubt the scrolling would've sucked on the ST version :lol:

I wish people would stop saying this. By the time Myth was released (1993), I'm sure they would have used some of the many improved techniques that existed at that point. By 1993, it was rare to see a commercial ST game with terrible scrolling. Otherwise, I share your sentiment and wish that the ST port of Myth was finished.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:30 am

i own Myth on amiga, the name of the person who owned it is embedded in it, in order to stop
piracy. I paid it 10 pounds, and i consider i'm lucky since the game sells for 150 pounds.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

fatboy
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fatboy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 am

dlfrsilver wrote:i own Myth on amiga, the name of the person who owned it is embedded in it, in order to stop
piracy. I paid it 10 pounds, and i consider i'm lucky since the game sells for 150 pounds.

The game has the original owners name stamped on it. Does anyone know which was less common, the ST or AMIGA version?

fatboy
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fatboy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:34 pm

I have decided to the list the game on e-bay with no reserve.

I'd like to see it go to a dedicated Atari fan ( I must confess I am more of an Amiga man myself....but have a lot of respect for the ST....I've got about 10 different models and 100's of boxed games, a 65xe and 800xl, VCS's, but alas no Falcon!).

Anyway I hope it goes to a good home and someone can love and cherish it! Give me a decent shooter instead :wink:

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:13 pm

/I goes scurrying off to eBay to find it :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

RETRO MONSTER
Atarian
Atarian

Postby RETRO MONSTER » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:02 pm

I HAVE THE MYTH DEMO BY SYSTEM 3 FOR THE ATARI ST FIRST LEVEL ONLY. IT'S ON A ST FORMAT DISK WITH BABY JOE DEMO ON THE OTHER SIDE. I JUST SOLD MY AMIGA VERSION FOR £41.00 ON EBAY :D .

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:10 pm

RETRO MONSTER wrote:I HAVE THE MYTH DEMO BY SYSTEM 3 FOR THE ATARI ST FIRST LEVEL ONLY. IT'S ON A ST FORMAT DISK WITH BABY JOE DEMO ON THE OTHER SIDE. I JUST SOLD MY AMIGA VERSION FOR £41.00 ON EBAY :D .

£41.00? NICE LITTLE RESULT THERE :wink:

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:21 pm

CAN YOU SPEAK UP PLEASE?

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:44 pm

TURN YER HEARIN AID UP!!
:)

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:14 pm

No need to shout, I'm not deaf you know!?

:lol:

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 pm

Is Boulder Dash rare for the Atari ST?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140224713553
The seller claims he bought it for $380 8O

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:05 pm

Probably over in Europe in First Star packaging but I'm almost sure it was released on the ST only as Boulderdash Construction Set (not looked at the auction details properly)

guythp
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby guythp » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:16 pm

bullis1 wrote:
punkrulesok wrote: Although no doubt the scrolling would've sucked on the ST version :lol:

I wish people would stop saying this. By the time Myth was released (1993), I'm sure they would have used some of the many improved techniques that existed at that point. By 1993, it was rare to see a commercial ST game with terrible scrolling. Otherwise, I share your sentiment and wish that the ST port of Myth was finished.

Besides, the speccy version was the better version and it used flip screen, not scrolling. Fantastic animation and graphics, not sur ehow it would've faired on the 16bits. I think the extra colours would've only confused matters.

... Hang on.. '93?? It never came out in 93! I played it on my first speccy and that was around the time the STe came out!... Yep, checking worldofspectrum.org it did indeed come out in 1989... What was I saying?
The Hairy Pies

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:33 pm

guythp wrote: Besides, the speccy version was the better version and it used flip screen, not scrolling. Fantastic animation and graphics, not sur ehow it would've faired on the 16bits. I think the extra colours would've only confused matters.

... Hang on.. '93?? It never came out in 93! I played it on my first speccy and that was around the time the STe came out!... Yep, checking worldofspectrum.org it did indeed come out in 1989... What was I saying?

Well, the extra colours didn't confuse anything. You should lookup the Amiga version, it's quite nice. And while the 8-bit versions may have come out earlier (I don't know) the 16 and 32 bit versions were all due for '92 to '94 releases.
Member of the Atari Legend team

badshotbob
Atariator
Atariator

Postby badshotbob » Wed May 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Any want this game I have it

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”