Defender of the Crown

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:39 am

Hello telengard and Grunaki,
It took me quite a few games to finally defeat the last guy usually right at the bottom left of the map (Cornwall). And I too managed to win from Derbyshire area.

But more recently about a month ago I won the game from all the starting points.

I found attacking enemy castles with about 7 men as early as possible did the trick to start off with. I did find the more men you take the more men you had to defeat which made the game more of a challenge.

And when you attack a castle and it shows up how many enemy soldiers are in it you must always use your catapult no matter what. As I had an army of about 30 no knights and the castle had only 3 men in it, so I decided to battle straight away but lost, this happen a few times, so now I always use the catapult.

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Is there a discernable point on the catapult string that tells you as and when to fire the boulders?

I was always dead-on with the first 3 or 4 but it gets a bit much after that. Greek Fire only usually kills one enemy unit and you have to get disease over the wall quick enough for it to weaken them before you attack.

It's a trade-off, as you can weaken their forces a bit by using the disease and greek fire, but if you can demolish the wall, they have no advantage.

And I seem to remember that the 'Defensive Hold' strategy while battling did a lot more damage than 'Stand and Fight' - especially if you have Knights.

BTW - I'm from Preston too, but I live over here now. :)
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Grunaki wrote:Is there a discernable point on the catapult string that tells you as and when to fire the boulders?

I used the chain to find the right moment. With some practice you can break almost the whole wall and you have more than 90% hits. The last shoot was reserved for desease or greek fire.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:53 pm

Catapult:
Green line - Rocks (x2)
Send two rocks to break a hole at the top of castle.

White line - Greek Fire & Disease
Then send Disease and Greek Fire in next.

einherjer
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Defender of the Crown

Postby einherjer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:19 am

I loved this game -- until it was time to joust. What the heck were they thinking? Even loading the memory snapshots on steem, it still takes me maybe 50-100 or more tries to beat each individual at jousting.

AtariFan
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariFan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

anynone is interested by a version in wich there is alway a catapult ?

This seems to be a bug of the Atari ST version. I own the original version of Defender of the crown and was surprised that I never had to buy a catapult because it was supplied when attacking a castle.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:38 am

hahaha if this were facebook I would "like" einherjer's comment hahahaha

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:47 am

einherjer wrote:I loved this game -- until it was time to joust. What the heck were they thinking? Even loading the memory snapshots on steem, it still takes me maybe 50-100 or more tries to beat each individual at jousting.

It would make it's money worth if you can complete the entire game in an hour or two.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

TheLastAtarian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TheLastAtarian » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm afraid there's something missing from this conversation: Leadership.

Once you master jousting, you learn that the real secret to the game is in Leadership. Jousting for Fame (successfully) increases your leadership by one point and decreases your opponent's by one. Three successful matches and you've increased by three points! If you start with Wolfric, you can be at 10 leadership points in just two jousting sessions. A few more and you'll have reduced your Norman enemies' points to less than five, and if you keep at it you can reduce them to 0.

This is enormously important in battles! The command 'outflank enemy' in the battle scene compares leadership scores as its multiplier. If you hugely outscore your opponent, then you can crush large armies with small ones. In fact, once you master this trick, the game becomes completely trivial. Jousting is actually the most important skill in the game! All games, then, should be played with Wolfric.

Why not Cedric, who starts out at Strong leadership? Because he sucks at jousting! When challenged by the vile Normans, you may lose your leadership points to them, and be unable to recover them. He also sucks at swordsmanship, making raid missions much more difficult.

It takes a good deal of practice, but once you master jousting, you will win 10/10 games, regardless of your starting position.

As for STEEM, I can not successfully joust in STEEM. However, on a real ST, I can nail it every time. I think there's something about the timing in STEEM.

Cheers and happy jousting!

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:21 pm

get defender of the crown from klaz hideout. then you wont need to be expert on jousting
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

TheLastAtarian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TheLastAtarian » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:06 am

Resurrecting this dead threat because I discovered how to win at jousting in STEEM: lower the DPI of my mouse. When I lower it to between 200 and 300, I can unhorse the villain every time. Aim in tiny circles for just a little bit to the lower-right of the center, click at the right moment, and on to victory.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Here is a file containing the graphics rips, 16 colors GIF format. Masks are not yet done. All is there except for the love scenes (I'm pretty bad at courtesying ladies).

I had a project to make a "DOTC reloaded" with 1 to 4 real players using tcp/ip layer, something more strategic than movie feeling. But no time and other things to do. The main difficulty is to make the server part: GFA program on one of the player's machine or a PHP website with WebServices?

Maybe someone will do something with this graphics. Ideally, this DOTC reloaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”