Regards
Defender of the crown

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:09 am

My word, you must be a good player at this game, 800 soldiers 8O
I could never get more than 20 or so.... my hat is off to you :wink:

Let us not forget the parts where you sword fight to rob someone of either their money or their Daughter...
Not to mention the impossible jousting....

Indeed a classic 8)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:18 am

Very impressive .. was awful at this game. Jousting wins were more by luck than skill when I played it.

Did D.o.C have a saved game option?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:21 pm

muguk wrote:Did D.o.C have a saved game option?

Can't quite remember if you could save on the ST, this is played through an emulator on the PC where you can quit the emulation and run from where you left off.

ROBBING:
I don't usually bother with the robbing now a days when playing but if somebody wanted to I would get help from Robin of Sherwood click the Green bit of the map to achieve this. Then onto the sword fighting carry on walking to the right hand side of the screen with your block mouse button clicked (right button) once you are at the far right of the screen wait for your enemy soldier to drop his arm down then (left click) to attack with your sword. Don't forget to defend your self by clicking the right mouse button and hold each time.

JOUSTING:
Aim the end of your joust just below your opponents joust in the lower piece of his shield

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:06 pm

Ah right .. using the snapshot facility.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:52 pm

yes :D

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zorro 2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 am

About Jousting : I discovered this game on an Amiga 1000 and the mouse who perfects to win all the time :wink:
Member of NoExtra Team

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:37 pm

defender of the crown wrote:Aim the end of your joust just below your opponents joust in the lower piece of his shield

So when exactly do you click the mouse button?
As you hear the "clang" of metal? :o

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:42 pm

You have to guestimate when the clang is going to be and try and click it the same time. I count to 4. As soon as I hear the start of the run & just before I get to 4 click.
But not everybody will count the same speed as me so you'll have to work your own way of timming it. :D

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:14 pm

So the trick is to time the mouse click with the "CLANG!"
Thats all I needed to know, cheers :wink:
(Goes to try it out)...

Attempt 1:
"Your eagerness is wasted on a premature thrust" (now where I have heard that before).

Attempt 2:
"A moments hesitation lets your opponent pass unscathed"

Attempt 3:
"Same result as 2"

Attempt 4:
"Same result as 1"

Attempt 5,6,7,8,9,:
"Similar"

Attempt 10:
"Disgrace! - "A low blow slays your opponents horse""

Closes Steem.
:x

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kilbaf
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kilbaf » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Dicussing by pm with the so well named defender of the crown, I have got this explanation :
when jousting there are two disciplines you need to take note of
1: Aiming (see image) take aim at the bottom right bit of the shield.
2: Clicking mouse button at the right time. To do this I would start a new game and hold a Joust Tournament and just count until you hear the joust strike.

This is more or less what you can find in the manual.

As I never succeed to win a joust in the old day, I try half an hour reloading a dump memory with STEEM. I don't know if it is linked to my PC mouse but I haven't manage the 1st point. The best I do is clicking at the right time which allow me to kill the horse, miss the guy or once to joust a new time against the same guy. So RetroGamerUK you are not the only one upset by this ! either somebody will send a STEEM dump at the win or I have to cheat the game to see what happen when winning !

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:34 pm

dungeon.master
The Beast with a Million Eyes
The Beast with a Million Eyes

Postby dungeon.master » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:35 pm

anynone is interested by a version in wich there is alway a catapult ?
Games hunter, for Atari Legend
dungeon.master

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:56 pm

If I can ride the catapult to a victorious Joust then yeah! :lol:

kilbaf
Atariator
Atariator

Joust cheat

Postby kilbaf » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:37 pm

Find attached a STEEM memory dump of defender of the crown in which what ever you do during the joust you win ! Surely always winning in joust allow you to get 3 territories per tournament as far as there is no castle on them. In that case it is easy to be rich and so to win the game. This might be the secret of the well named defender of the crown.

I am too lazy at the moment to do a proper booting disk with a cheat mode, memory patch with STEEM is so much easier and faster ...

Notice that the forum refuses file with sts extension so I rename it to txt to bypass this protection, you have to rename it with sts for STEEM I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:52 pm

Eeeeexcellent! :twisted:
(Goes away to try it).

You could have zipped the file then attached it BTW :wink:

kilbaf
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kilbaf » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:37 pm

One point I forget to precise, the memory configuration used in STEEM when the memory dump was done :
atari ST standard 8MHz with 4MB memory
tos102fr.img so it should be a french tos version 1.02

So in case you cannot use the image, adjust your STEEM configuration to this one, I guess it should solve it. Next I will take care to use 512KB or 1MB.

I always wonder if cheating game is a good thing. Because the difficulty is part of the interest of it and if you finish the game too easily its interest decrease a lot. Anyway here the jousting is really too hard. But always winning makes the game far too much easier.

PS : defender of the crown, the same about the configuration applies to the super_sprint.sts I sent to you.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:05 pm

I agree that with most games cheating totally ruins the "point" of the game, but since the jousting is impossible and unavoidable, this cheat kinda tilts the playing field the other way nicely..

It would be ideal if someone could hack the game and make the jousting easier...

Heh, I couldn't get that cheat to work naturally...

kilbaf
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kilbaf » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:32 pm

There is something not clear in your last post. Do you mean that you have no success running the cheat version I provided. Or do you mean you could not cheat the game to make the jousting easier ?

Maybe I could do this last point.
I am not very motivated because :
1)while playing most of the time I do not success to move the weapon as I expect as if the mouse doesn't work correcly. But some time it works. Is it linked to the game of my PC mouse ? So doing some test could not be easy. How is it for you when you play ?
2)it is far harder that the cheat I provided as that mean to better understand the code. So it request more effort.
The purpose of the cheat for me was to see that part of the game that me and you have never seen which motivate me.
So let's see if I find some motivation, this could happen maybe this week-end maybe in few years ! Anyway it seems you are interested by this which is the only motivation I see there, doing something for atarian.
It is true that some time I feel very interested by reversed some code, but it is costly, time consuming. For the moment I am more interested by other stuff and I have not too much time. And before this week-end I didn't touch anything on the ST for months, only reading a little bit the forum!

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:41 pm

That is correct, I could not get the cheat to work, and the reason I find this obvious is because I am lazy. :)
I never gave a thought to how often anyone browses the forum or spends their time hacking etc, I was just not at all surprised that something non-idiot proof would not work for me basically.
I believe it does work though, I just give up too easy :wink:

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:17 pm

RetroGamerUK wrote:That is correct, I could not get the cheat to work, and the reason I find this obvious is because I am lazy. :)
I never gave a thought to how often anyone browses the forum or spends their time hacking etc, I was just not at all surprised that something non-idiot proof would not work for me basically.
I believe it does work though, I just give up too easy :wink:

kilbaf
Atariator
Atariator

Postby kilbaf » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 pm

Ok this time I have download and installed a new STEEM and do all the process to use the memory dump.
So it works with the explanation I gave you with addition of :
you have the disk2 of defender of the crown in the drive which is a pasti. So you need pasti DLL installed too and click on the option screen on the option use pasti.
Get pasti DLL from : http://pasti.fxatari.com/
French tos from : http://steem.atari.st/lang_francais.htm
Defender of the crown disk2 : http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?sect ... &id=446837

Then in steem in the memory snapshot menu -> load memory snapshoot -> select : defenderofthecrown_beg_cheat.sts

And now I guess it is completely clear.
If somebody succeed to use this cheat version thanks to feedback.

One fact I never well understand if when a file is no more available from the forum ? I am not sure the defenderofthecrown_beg_cheat.sts is still available ?

telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby telengard » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:47 am

In all my years of playing this game (it's one of my favorites) I have *never* won a joust. Luckily you don't need to to win the game (although it's a huge blow to your player's ego hehe).

I will be trying the tips out for sure next time I play.

~telengard

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 am

The jousting was the hardest part of that game.. I used to play it all the time back in the day, but I could hardly ever win a joust.

I remember one time when I got 'in the zone' with it and started nailing all the opponents, which was great - but the next time I played I 'lost it' again and never got 'it' back. :(

As for the strategy game, the only 'winning' formula I ever came up with was to start in the central castle (I guess kind of Derbyshire area), defeat the guy in Norfolk then go for the guy in Leicester. By this time the guy in Clwyd would either have killed or been killed by the one in Cumbria or the one in Cornwall, usually leaving one other Saxon. Marry their daughter and get their lands, then finish off the Cornish Patsy (who was usually the last one left) and enjoy your new-found Monarchy.
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”