All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

windyseed
Atarian
Atarian

New Atari game released: Sardonic

Postby windyseed » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Hello mates and Season Greetings;

I guess Mr. MadAxe is very busy running his successful Vending Machines Company to make the announcement himself but the Atari version of his game Sardonic is already finished and can be found here:

http://sardonic.planetaclix.pt/

Image Image

In my humble opinion this is the best version of all plataforms. There are new enemies, new powerups and instead of the vertical top-down movement of the enemies there are new and very cool attack waves with sinusoidal and circular movements. The music and the sound efects are very cool.
Of course it's not a masterpiece, far from that. It stills a simple and short game. The graphics are ok but not fab. But runs very smoothly and if you like old school shooters this one will keep you busy for a while :D

My ratting: 6.5 / 10

Happy 2020 :cheers:

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Re: New Atari game released: Sardonic

Postby madaxe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:57 pm

windyseed wrote:I guess Mr. MadAxe is very busy running his successful Vending Machines Company to make the announcement himself but the Atari version of his game Sardonic is already finished and can be found here:

Nice! Nice! Nice! Thanks for the announcement, Windy. I'm still on a hangover since New Year's Eve, LOL!
I love your fair review and nice rating. Yeap, the game isn't perfect but isn't a bad game.
It’s a tribute to the shooters of 80s so the game is simple and short. Hope anyone enjoy it :)
Trainers are welcome :D

Cheers and a Great 2020,
José Mário aka MadAxe

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 am

This has increased my Atari games backlog by one. Hopefully this year will be lead hectic so that i can play. Screenshots look nice. Anymore info aboutb technical details?
Anyway thanks for the release and looking forward to play it.

windyseed
Atarian
Atarian

Postby windyseed » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:44 pm

madaxe wrote:Trainers are welcome :D

Haha, a Trainer will be very nice. I'm stuck on 3rd level, the Type II Fighters and the Stealths are giving me an hard time :D But I love the smooth and elegant movement of the Bombers. Nice job :wink:

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:06 am

christos wrote:This has increased my Atari games backlog by one. Hopefully this year will be lead hectic so that i can play. Screenshots look nice. Anymore info aboutb technical details?
Anyway thanks for the release and looking forward to play it.

Thank you for your interest on my little game. It's my debut on the great Atari. Hope you like :)

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:51 pm

So, I've had a chance to give it a quick go. First impression is that it's very 8-bitish and the graphics are a bit simplistic, however they do fit the game style very well. Once I played it though, I have to say that it's very smooth, and it's nice to see the blitter being used.
I didn't progress much, but the enemy wave pasterns have a nice progression from easy to hard. I liked the power up system as well. What I missed, is some music and maybe some sampled sfx. Other than that, I quite enjoyed it. This wouldn't have been out of place in an early 80's arcade hall, it would probably eat a lot of coins.
So thanks for the release, I'll play it some more and come back with more opinions.

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:19 pm

christos wrote:Other than that, I quite enjoyed it. This wouldn't have been out of place in an early 80's arcade hall, it would probably eat a lot of coins.
So thanks for the release, I'll play it some more and come back with more opinions.

Thanks for your nice opinion. All feedback is welcome so I can make better games in the future :)

Obryan
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Obryan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am

Looks somewhat refreshing and very old-school at the same time. I like it! How long did it take you to create this game, Madaxe?

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:12 pm

Obryan wrote:Looks somewhat refreshing and very old-school at the same time. I like it! How long did it take you to create this game, Madaxe?

Thank you, I'm glad you like my little game :)
It took me about 9 month to complete. About 1-2 hours of coding a day.

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 pm

Nice one, thank you!

What's more, it works fine with EmuTOS (in Hatari at least). And helped me find out that EmuTOS doesn't enable blitter by default, at least for AUTO-folder programs. -> will mail emutos-dev.

There are very few games in this category that work in monochrome, have you considered a monochrome version?

PS. My favorite color-only game in this category is this: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... _8697.html

It has few nice extras, like the particle effect when ship is hit and the ship sprite getting smaller (i.e. harder to hit by enemies) when it gets damaged.

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:find out that EmuTOS doesn't enable blitter by default, at least for AUTO-folder programs. -> will mail emutos-dev.

Actually, TOS v1.62 and TOS 2.06 don't seem to enable blitter for AUTO-folder programs either.

madaxe
Atariator
Atariator

Postby madaxe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:Nice one, thank you!
There are very few games in this category that work in monochrome, have you considered a monochrome version?
It has few nice extras, like the particle effect when ship is hit and the ship sprite getting smaller (i.e. harder to hit by enemies) when it gets damaged.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my little game :)
Well, I didn't planned a monochrome version but it could be nice. I came from ZX Spectrum, I like monochrome games :D

PS. My favorite color-only game in this category is this: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... _8697.html

Nice one!

Actually, TOS v1.62 and TOS 2.06 don't seem to enable blitter for AUTO-folder programs either.

Ah, ok, thanks for the information. As I don't own an Atari I thought that once the Blitter was activated on TOS it remained available for all the autorun programs.
:cheers:
MadAxe

windyseed
Atarian
Atarian

Postby windyseed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Oh, there'll be a MsDos version? Cool, I love old school Dos games!

Well, maybe Sardonic is a little and short game but not a crap, definitely not! It's a good game!
I tell you guys, never had so fun for the last 20 years playing a game like I had playing this one :)
Congrats MadAxe and thanks for the release ;)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”