ST Games based on D&D or AD&D?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

ST Games based on D&D or AD&D?

Postby siriushardware » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:41 pm

(Originally posted in the wrong section...)

Like a lot of people from my generation I was heavily involved, for some years, in playing the actual Dungeons and Dragons (Tabletop / paper and pencil) game. Now remembered as nerdy in the extreme, it was actually a great experience with a good, imaginative DM and players who played it in-character.

I would be interested to know what, if any Atari ST RPG games were based on the D&D world and rules framework. Maybe some by Interplay or SSI? The title 'Pool Of Radiance' springs to mind but I never played it and don't know if it was ever released for Atari ST.

Across all platforms the best examples I can think of are the 'Baldur's Gate' and 'Baldur's Gate II' (Throne of Bhaal) games -they- were the closest any computer games ever came to replicating the feel of 'real' D&D.
Last edited by siriushardware on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smonson
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: ST Games based on D&D or AD&D?

Postby Smonson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:56 pm

The game Hillsfar was an official AD&D product, it wasn't too bad, although as a kid I never got anywhere in it.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks Smonson, I'll look around for Hillsfar. Anyone know of any others?

Edit: I've just been on a journey around the internet, and with the strange exception of Hillsfar, that whole series of SSI and Westwood licensed D&D games only seems to have been available for the Amiga (And other platforms, but not our beloved STs). Shame.

mrbombermillzy
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mrbombermillzy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I have the ST version of Heroes of the Lance (SSI) sitting on my ST software shelf, so theres that too.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks mrbombermillzy, I have also noticed that the SSI title 'Demon's Winter' was available for the ST, but, although it is an RPG it's unclear from the wikipedia page here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon%27s_Winter

..whether it is a D&D / AD&D derived game or not. I don't see the D&D logo on the box art on that page.

mrbombermillzy

Postby mrbombermillzy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 pm

The Amiga and PC got the lions share of the official AD&D conversions! :(

I have a PC CD-ROM compilation of them somewhere.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Only the first four from the above list, it seems, were ported to the ST:

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... ion=search
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

mrbombermillzy

Postby mrbombermillzy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 am

@Mug UK: Yeah, I removed the list because what was listed as for the ST on certain websites actually wasnt as it turned out :(

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 pm

I only ever did a hack for the saved game of Hillsfar, probably should have done the other D & D ones back in the day too.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:26 pm

Seems all of the Dragonlance ones were released for the ST. Only a few of the Forgotten Realms ones were. Curse of the Azure Bonds is the sequel to Pool of Radiance, and supposedly Pool of Radiance was ported to the ST, but I have yet been able to find it anywhere!

Sadly, I think all of the "Gold Box" SSI games got a C64 port, but not one for the ST. Anyone up for some of the crazy translation from the Amiga versions to get them working on the ST?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

bfollowell
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bfollowell » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:05 am

The only officially licensed titles I am aware of being released on the ST were Heroes of the Lance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Dragons of Flame, Hillsfar, and Shadow Sorcerer. Pool of Radiance was advertised as coming soon, but was never released.

Demon's Winter was an SSI fantasy game, but it was not a D&D/AD&D licensed title.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”