ST Preservation site on the horizon!

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Re: ST Preservation site on the horizon!

Postby Marakatti » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 am

I was informed that the project is not dead yet, so sorry for giving a wrong impression :oops:

The project is on hold at the minute due to an extended hiatus by some team members. We are looking forward to get the band together again to make the final touches. :coffe:
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:50 pm

To me it just seems daft that instead of merging all the resources into the one site and making it the best available similar to Lemon Amiga etc., we have the existing site (AL), Guardians Of The Past (currently on hiatus) and now AtariMania starting up.

Ah well .. something will happen soon I guess.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:16 pm

muguk wrote:To me it just seems daft that instead of merging all the resources into the one site and making it the best available similar to Lemon Amiga etc

You have a good point, the whole AL-team is welcome to join us :mrgreen:

Well, more seriously, all three sites are probably made from different point of view. Atari Legend (as far as I feel) gives a most complete games list, but with quite basic information only. If you want more information like TOS compatibility, see what games are hard disk installable, take a look at the instructions etc there is no such information available (yet). It's great for checking quickly how a certain game looks and who did it but that's it.

Guardians of the PaST is a first attempt on Atari ST to do a real preservation in style similar to Hall of Light on Amiga with all the documents, disk labels, different release versions etc. It also takes a look at the stuff related to the titles like reviews, previews, digs out nice background information etc. not to mention it also covers serious apps. On the other hand it doesn't feature any PD-stuff so lots of great games are cut out.

Atarimania is something between these two and a natural evolution of the site to cover all Atari models from VCS to Jaguar. You can say the same about the AtariAge VCS database. Then if you look at the Atarimania version, you just realise how much more there are titles to VCS available. When I first found Atari Legend I was thinking that why they did this when there's LGD available. Well, now I hardly visit LGD, for a quick look the Atari Legend is the place where I go.

Still, I agree with you. It would be great to have a team where all the active Atari ST preservation guys would work together. But I'm afraid the problems start when we try to choose which database it would be based on. Everyone probably feels their system is the best platform to continue while others might disagree...

That's probably why there are so many car manufactures all over the world ;)
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Well, if you want any of my manuals that I've scanned in, they're either @ Replacement Docs or in the queue to go up to Replacement Docs. That's the games. The manuals for the utils will go onto my own site as and when they're done. Help yourself.

Covers I tend to upload to AL as, being a member of the group, is the right thing to do. Having spent way too much on Atari ST originals over the last 2-3 years, it'd be a shame to not get them completely preserved - even if that means a little bit on this site, and a little bit on that site.

As soon as I get to the 1200 originals total, I'll make my list public .... no long to go now :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:14 pm

I think it's a great idea to have 3 sites doing a similar preservation thing. There's nothing to stop them from collaborating with each other. Just think of how many 16/32 bit Atari sites have gone offline over the last few years. Amiga sites seem to be thriving but with the amount of Atari sites left I think we need more.

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:54 am

For some unknown reason the Guardians of the PaST site is online. This is despite it being on hold for some time, since the main programmer has not been in touch for some time. At least everyone can finally see what the team was aiming to do with the website even if nothing comes of it. Officially the project is on hold but its future really is bleak unless the programmer returns. Its a real shame since this would have been the ST version of HOL (Hall of Light) on the Amiga as well an all important preservation of software.

To really see the detail we actually went into please visit the game entries for Elite, Rick Dangerous 1 & 2, and Gods.

Ths ite is located at http://www.guardiansofthepast.co.uk

A belated happy new year to everyone :!:

coze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coze » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 am

I see the site runs on php (and MySQL) ? what exactly is wrong with it ? Surely there're some Atarians knowledged on the Php around ?

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 pm

I'd like to know what's wrong as well; it looks great so far - some nice content there already, especially on the unreleased/cancelled games. Surely adding content to the existing system doesn't require any knowledge of PHP?

PHP seems really easy anyway, tho :)
tá'n poc ar buile!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Nice site .. pity your PHP coder and our PHP coder couldn't have a good chinwag and merge in some of the same functions :)

My pedantic antennae started quivering when I saw this: "Dropped because US Gold said it could not be done and Amiga games where outselling ST one by 5:1." ... were not where - unless you live in the Liverpool region (esp. Speke!) in which case it's the same pronunciation and spelling :)

Remember once seeing a van pootling along the M62 with "Whe're in the Yellow Pages" .. sigh!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:57 pm

muguk wrote:Remember once seeing a van pootling along the M62 with "Whe're in the Yellow Pages" .. sigh!

That is so unprofessional - I bet they lose out on half the potential van-observing-passerby customers just from that :P Like that shop near my college offering "Stationary" on the sign. Every time I passed it I wanted to go in and complain.
Tho'se Moron's :P
tá'n poc ar buile!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Can beat that (and with photographic proof!) .. was visiting Llandudno to see an old Amiga mate of mine and on the way back home, I went past the many retail outlet stores including Staples. Outside this branch, was one of those small signs where they try to entice you in with some sales offers or other ..

BACK TO SCHOOL STATIONARY SALE - 50% OFF!

Anyways, best stop me in my tracks now before this thread goes way off on tangent - if I can find the photo, I'll bung it via a PM :)

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:37 pm

muguk wrote:My pedantic antennae started quivering when I saw this: "Dropped because US Gold said it could not be done and Amiga games where outselling ST one by 5:1." ...

This may (or may not) have been my fault. :mrgreen:

Yes, I may (or may not) have to take responsibility for this outrage. :mrgreen:

Anyway, to put your mind at rest I stepped in and fixed it. I'm sure whoever was responsible (maybe me, maybe not) that it was simply a result of a typing error and not a general ignorance.

That's cleared that up then. ;)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:46 pm

OK, won't go looking for any others - you have my word :)

It's horrible when the day job creeps into your non-working life :)

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 pm

I really like the look of the site. It would be such a shame to add it to the ST internet scrap heap - it looks like a lot of work has gone into it. Please keep us informed regarding the site's future.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Zenichiro
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Zenichiro » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:09 pm

I have to echo what others have said, I just had a quick look at the new site and it looks fantastic so far. It's clearly had a lot of thought, planning and effort over the last few years, it would be a great shame to see it die before it ever got off the ground!

The ST scene is missing a lot of things that are taken for granted on other platforms, this site would definitely fill an important gap. What's stopping someone else from taking up the programming reins where the MIA programmer left off?

ppera

Re:

Postby ppera » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 am

Goldrunner wrote:...
It's different from GamebaseST in two major ways. Firstly it does not (and will not) feature anything from cracking crews since its preserving commercial software they way you would have bought it. Secondly, the database is online and goes into exhaustive detail about each and every piece of software, in fact it goes into more detail then any other software database avialable on any platform. All material can also be downloaded at will.

Some thoughts, questions: I consider as good idea to not feature cracked versions. So, floppy images of originals will be downloadable, if I get it. But what with those 'manual protected' - will complete manuals will be scanned ?
Then, how you will decide what type of floppy image is the best for concrete game/release ? I mean, I would not like to see FSII imaged as 2 sided STX image :D I can offer some help about some titles.

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”