ST Preservation site on the horizon!

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

ST Preservation site on the horizon!

Postby Goldrunner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:23 am

A small team of ST ethusiasts (some of which you will know) have been busy over the last few months building a new website for the preservation of all ST software. It's a massive project and already hundreds o man hours have been spent building it.

Until now its been kept well and truly under wraps since things like this have been announced before but have disappeared without a trace. Expect more about the site as launch date approaches :wink:

Before anyone asks, this has absolutely nothing to do with GamebaseST :!:

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:08 am

sounds fantastic Paul. :D so thats what youve been up to all this time ;) tell us more!
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:17 am

Does indeed sound fantastic....

Look forward to seeing some fruits of all your (and the other involed) labours soon
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:37 am

Sounds really good.

Is it in any way related to gamebase ST? :mrgreen:
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

MadDonna
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MadDonna » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:08 pm

And documentation? Book scans? Original hardware manuals etc etc etc. I think you can find enough software libraries on the internet, but documentation is harder to find, and more labour intensive.

You got GameBaseST and planetemu.net so why another online software library, and why only ST.
1 Atari 520ST, 1 Atari 1040STf, 1 Atari 1040 STfm, 2 Atari 1040 STe, 2 Atari Mega 1, 1 Atari Mega ST 2, 1 Mega STe, 1 Megafile 30, 1 Megafile with an IBM 1Gb replacement, 2 Atari TT030 and 1 Falcon

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 pm

MadDonna wrote:And documentation? Book scans? Original hardware manuals etc etc etc. I think you can find enough software libraries on the internet, but documentation is harder to find, and more labour intensive.

I really think your missing the point here MadDonna, which is hardly surprising with the scant details I gave.

We are talking about a site dedicated to the preservation of the Atari ST not other platforms like the Amiga. What ST software library covers not only games but also educational, applications, and utilities. We are not just talking about preserving disk images here but all other material that comes with the software. The new site is a kind of HOL and SPS rolled into one but only bigger :!:

MadDonna wrote:You got GameBaseST and planetemu.net so why another online software library, and why only ST.

Currently there is no online site geared towards the preservation of the Atari ST. GamebaseST is not online and Planetemu.net is just disk images and mainly cracked ones at that. You also ask why only the ST, well the job is big enough without even thinking about any other platforms :!:

I will probably be shot now for giving to much away so soon :?

MadDonna
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MadDonna » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:44 pm

So no Falcon and TT only software?
1 Atari 520ST, 1 Atari 1040STf, 1 Atari 1040 STfm, 2 Atari 1040 STe, 2 Atari Mega 1, 1 Atari Mega ST 2, 1 Mega STe, 1 Megafile 30, 1 Megafile with an IBM 1Gb replacement, 2 Atari TT030 and 1 Falcon

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:05 pm

Goldrunner wrote:I will probably be shot now for giving to much away so soon :?

Why did you post in the first place then?
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:15 pm

ggn wrote:Why did you post in the first place then?

Why bother advertising a coming movie, book, album, play, game, etc, etc. I think it is plain that building awareness before is always better than springing things on people :!:

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:26 pm

So from the sounds of things its kind of like an online version of GameBaseST but with Apps as well as games. What about Demos?
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:29 pm

MadDonna wrote:So no Falcon and TT only software?

The TT will be covered in time but I don't know about the Falcon, probably if I can twist a few arms :)

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:47 pm

unseenmenace wrote:So from the sounds of things its kind of like an online version of GameBaseST but with Apps as well as games. What about Demos?

Commercial software only I'm afraid so there won't be any demos, unless its a demo of a commercial product.

It's different from GamebaseST in two major ways. Firstly it does not (and will not) feature anything from cracking crews since its preserving commercial software they way you would have bought it. Secondly, the database is online and goes into exhaustive detail about each and every piece of software, in fact it goes into more detail then any other software database avialable on any platform. All material can also be downloaded at will.

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:10 pm

who needs demos included when youve got DBST :P
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:59 pm

Finally the new atari legend website that Brume showed me at Jaguar Connexion? :)
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:45 pm

Nope .. this is something completely different Lotek.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi
What a fantastic idea. :) :o :) 8) :) You're making an old man very happy.
Ooops! I'm only supposed to say that to the girlfriend 8O :D
regards
BJ

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:12 pm

Thought it might be a good idea to post a typical entry from the new site so everyone can get a better idea of what its about.

Right under the screensots you will see a version table, basically this shows what other versions of Lemming have been released on the ST other than the full price retail one. Clicking on another version on the version table would take to a new page detailing that particular release. We needed this kind of detail to catalogue each game for preservation.

Underneath the version table you will see a bar, here all the extras for the game can be found, adverts, magizne review, boxscans, diskscans, and PDF manulas. You will also notice that comments and reviews can be left by people who vist the site.

The preview has been heavily compressed so there is a lot of artifacting, sorry about this but it was needed to post it on the forum.

BTW, the main site banner is not shown since it would have given the name away. However, part of name is shown in other sections of this preview :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:25 pm

Looks bloody awesome m8, keep it up :)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:26 pm

This looks very very nice... Any ETA?

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:36 am

looks really good!

can I make a suggestion? I understand that the site is meant to be for commercial software and have nothing to do with cracks or modified versions of games... HOWEVER, as a "fan boy" user, I may find it more convenient if I could get more information about software from one place.

SO, my suggestion is this: for each game (at least), have a link for that game to the atarilegend or LGD database, or even some site I have seen ( hink?) that tell you what menus from what crews contain what software.
This is just the same as the way atarilegend games often have a link to C64 and Amiga database entries for the same game.

So your vision for the site would remain "untainted", it would cover commercial releases only, but you would have stronger links, a closer relationship, to the scene.
The scene is interesting, it's where a lot of the folk lore and "legend" we have comes from, so you should make it easy for new people (or people who have been away for a long time) to also revisit that world.

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:15 am

I really, really like the look of that!!!!

Certainly can;t wait to give it a test drive so to speak...
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:39 pm

looks very nice... and then I dont understand why you dont team up with the atarilegend guys... joined forces would mean a faster result I guess.
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi lotek_style

The goals of both are totally different, Atari Legend is about the whole scene while the new site is totally about software preservation. The resources being collected can be shared with AL and they have always known this. Hopefully as the launch approaches there will be closer ties since this can only be benficial to both.

I think there is room for both sites since both cater for a different needs. We are trying to safeguard the future by preserving the software. Atari Legend is about the current scene and covers every other area.

doggyfred
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby doggyfred » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:08 pm

That looks fantastic! I'll certainly enjoy it a lot once it's available.

ST Graveyard
Obsessed with homicide
Obsessed with homicide

Postby ST Graveyard » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:43 pm

lotek_style wrote:Finally the new atari legend website that Brume showed me at Jaguar Connexion? :)

Ouch Lotek... that is a real kick in the butt ... but funny indeed :lol:

Anyway, this new project looks amazing and I can't wait to see it for myself! all the best of luck Goldrunner!

and as stated, this is beneficial for other sites as well!

Keep up the great work!

Grave
We are Atari Legend.

Visit us at : http://www.atarilegend.com

Youtube
Facebook
Twitter

Sister site :
Stonish.net

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”