Page 1 of 1

Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:16 am
by cacophony
Hi,

I know somebody who has been unable to register on this site because all the emails he has tried are being flagged as suspicious, including his official ISP address. Is there somebody that can help resolve this for him?

Thanks!

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:34 am
by spiny
pm me their preferred email and I'll add it to the 'allowed' list

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:14 am
by cacophony
Thanks, pm sent!

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 am
by BitsNStuff
Thanks all, I was the one who had been trying to gain access here.

Just to add a bit of extra info as it may be useful Most of my email addresses aren't accepted due to them being regarded as "suspicious", which I can sort of understand with my @gmail.com, @live.co.uk and @icloud.com email addresses but when I've tried with my ISPs email of @btinternet.com I just get "Spammers Domain - Stop Forum Spam!" which does surprise me as it's obviously a paid and validated email address.

Happy to be a member but I do wonder how much of an issue this is for other people

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:37 am
by stefanem
I'm having the same problem. Who should I contact these days?

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:44 am
by c0d3h4x0r
I had exactly the same problem, and I finally figured out why -- the registration form wrongly rejects any email address containing periods before the at-sign (@). I tried to register using both of my usual outlook.com and gmail.com addresses (which share the same part before the at-sign), and it wouldn't accept either one... so on a hunch, I created a hotmail.com alias for my outlook.com account that does NOT contain any periods before the at-sign, and the registration form finally accepted that one.

Whoever runs the forums really needs to look at whatever regex they're using to identify "suspicious" e-mail addresses, because it's wrong.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:17 pm
by spiny
c0d3h4x0r wrote:I had exactly the same problem, and I finally figured out why -- the registration form wrongly rejects any email address containing periods before the at-sign (@). I tried to register using both of my usual outlook.com and gmail.com addresses (which share the same part before the at-sign), and it wouldn't accept either one... so on a hunch, I created a hotmail.com alias for my outlook.com account that does NOT contain any periods before the at-sign, and the registration form finally accepted that one.

Whoever runs the forums really needs to look at whatever regex they're using to identify "suspicious" e-mail addresses, because it's wrong.



how many periods are there in the first part of the email you were trying to use ? we have anti spam stuff setup to preven the usual email tricks, but firstname.lastname@whatever.com is perfectly valid.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:01 pm
by mfro
That's not how phpbb antispam works.

It uses the blacklist at https://www.stopforumspam.com/search . Lookup e.g. @btinternet.com and you'll find several hundreds of hits. If your email address is among them, you found the root cause. If it's in there, its either because your password has been on one of the many hacked lists floating the net, because some nasty soul put you there innocently or - god beware - because you *are* a forum spammer.

If you aren't, you can request removal there. If I'd find my own email address there, I would change *all* passwords of all accounts immediately.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:57 pm
by spiny
mfro wrote:That's not how phpbb antispam works.



incorrect. We have wildcards setup to match email addresses and disallow common spam formats.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:34 pm
by mfro
spiny wrote:
mfro wrote:That's not how phpbb antispam works.



incorrect. We have wildcards setup to match email addresses and disallow common spam formats.


Then why don't you setup that said feature? At least more reliable than arbitrary wildcards?

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm
by spiny
mfro wrote:
spiny wrote:
mfro wrote:That's not how phpbb antispam works.



incorrect. We have wildcards setup to match email addresses and disallow common spam formats.


Then why don't you setup that said feature? At least more reliable than arbitrary wildcards?



re-reading my post, it wasn't clear. We have the stopforumspam database AND regex pattern matching in place.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:40 am
by c0d3h4x0r
spiny wrote:how many periods are there in the first part of the email you were trying to use ? we have anti spam stuff setup to preven the usual email tricks, but firstname.lastname@whatever.com is perfectly valid.


Two. It's my first name, middle initial, and last name, separated from each other by periods.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:42 am
by c0d3h4x0r
mfro wrote:That's not how phpbb antispam works.

It uses the blacklist at https://www.stopforumspam.com/search . Lookup e.g. @btinternet.com and you'll find several hundreds of hits. If your email address is among them, you found the root cause. If it's in there, its either because your password has been on one of the many hacked lists floating the net, because some nasty soul put you there innocently or - god beware - because you *are* a forum spammer.

If you aren't, you can request removal there. If I'd find my own email address there, I would change *all* passwords of all accounts immediately.


Neither of my usual two email addresses are contained in that blacklist. And no, I'm not a spammer (of forums, or anything else for that matter).

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 am
by spiny
c0d3h4x0r wrote:
spiny wrote:how many periods are there in the first part of the email you were trying to use ? we have anti spam stuff setup to preven the usual email tricks, but firstname.lastname@whatever.com is perfectly valid.


Two. It's my first name, middle initial, and last name, separated from each other by periods.


whats the domain name? PM me and I can either add an exception, or just edit your profile with the whole address if thats easier

cheers, Phil.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:22 am
by c0d3h4x0r
spiny wrote:PM me and I can either add an exception, or just edit your profile with the whole address if thats easier


Thanks. PM sent.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 am
by stefanem
c0d3h4x0r wrote:
spiny wrote:PM me and I can either add an exception, or just edit your profile with the whole address if thats easier


Thanks. PM sent.


As a new user I am not allowed to send private messages...
What should I do? I will loose my current email address by Friday as that will be my last day at work where I got if from.

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 am
by Greenious
stefanem wrote:
c0d3h4x0r wrote:
spiny wrote:PM me and I can either add an exception, or just edit your profile with the whole address if thats easier


Thanks. PM sent.


As a new user I am not allowed to send private messages...
What should I do? I will loose my current email address by Friday as that will be my last day at work where I got if from.


Try now, once you've got 3 approved posts, your "trial period" should be over. :)

Re: Unable to register due to "suspicious" email address

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:02 am
by stefanem
Greenious wrote:
stefanem wrote:
c0d3h4x0r wrote:
Thanks. PM sent.


As a new user I am not allowed to send private messages...
What should I do? I will loose my current email address by Friday as that will be my last day at work where I got if from.


Try now, once you've got 3 approved posts, your "trial period" should be over. :)


8) This - of course - was the plan all along 8)