Idea is not new actually, and myself too talked here about couple times.
Purpose is to have one place where people can easily find useful informations about all relevant Atari SW, + they can submit own experiences, test results. Later part will be not easy to achieve, but is absolutely necessary.
As we know there are many possible reasons why some SW works not on certain config - like TOS versions, RAM size, etc. It is really hard to judge what is exact reason. Especially for beginners. So, let's help each other.
I'm thinking about MySQL database with following fields:
1. SW title - in case of multiple SW with same title recommended to add publisher in brackets
3. Year of release
4. Version # if exists
Since there is SW published in compilations, and then often it is not exactly same as original release we should add field for that:
5. Part of compilation - name of compilation, year of release
Above was for original releases. But I want to include all "other releases", so cracks, menu disks too. Some don't like them, but things are that in many cases they are still only source for some titles.
6. Cracked by - if you have some better idea for field name, shoot
7. On menu disk(s) - Crew, #(s)
8. Hard disk adapt. - Done by ..
Availability of original
9. Place(s) where can order or DL original . It may be Atarimania in case of PD and freeware. But stays not for STX images.
Availability of copy
10. Place(s) where can DL copy . Like STX, SCP, MSA, etc images
11. Where can DL crack
Section about on what runs and on what runs not:
12. Works on TOS version(s):
13. Works not on TOS version(s) - with comments of exact symptom
14. Min RAM size
15. Max RAM size - unfortunately not rare case that ...
16. Falcon compatibility - works it without compatibility utilities as Backward, works it with them ...
17. TT compatibility
18. STE compatibility - not TOS version related - like in case of Grand Monster Slam .
19. Mega STE compatibility - not same as TOS 2.06 compatibility. There is many SW with not good enough code (direct FDC access) for Mega STE for instance.
19. Hard disk installable by factory - is there option for that in original. But I must say here that those installers are now pretty much outdated in many cases, and will not work with newer configs.
20. Emulator compatibility
Problems, bugs in specific releases:
21. Free description of problem
22. Place for notes which belong not in any previous category
Feel free to suggest some other fields, ideas ..
Probably the hardest part is to ensure proper contribution of interested and good willing people. Must say that this will be not easy at all. It is very easy to make wrong conclusion about reasons why some SW works not on specific config. I usually do multiple tests on HW what I have + testing on diverse TOS versions in Steem, Hatari . Where can set diverse RAM sizes too.
May expect that some people, crews will be offended when see that their releases are "marked" as problematic, so will maybe write bad things there - according to my experiences so far. I can only suggest that instead that spend some time to fix the problem.
In any case, submissions must have some control, so we can exclude problematic people, or those who take not enough care about accuracy.
Idea is to maintain database on my WebSite (8bitchip.info) and have some support, connection with it on this forum. If later will not be supported here, there is forum too there. What I want is to make little order in all this, and help people. Some minor personal issues are inevitable. Pls. be grown enough and see what is more important good.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.