Hardware section

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Hardware section

Postby Nikolas » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Hardware section most ppl left and some die, nowdays hardware is wery much slow. And all good topics are not even sorted as sticky and is wery much unused section. Like war was going on in there.
So my opinion is to sort out and clean up, and put stickys what is good.

I dont mind to be moderator in hw section :) Just put me as moderator im ok with this work.
(I was moderator in hw section in pc 12 year old game now im admin of 2 slow internet sites)

http://www.bz2maps.com/phpBB/index.php
http://bz2.freeforums.org/index.php
If you guys expirience hardware problems.
1. Always remove chips if possible before soldering.
2. Resolder your hardware, check cables too.
3. If problem continue THEN must be faulty software.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.
My english may not be correct

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Hardware section

Postby spiny » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 pm

I am the new hardware mod as of last week :)
I'm sorting it all out at the moment, trying to rearrange the sticky threads into a smaller sensible amount and moving some stuff about.
So things will change, don't worry :)

Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Nikolas » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Im in worry allready that you tell me not to worry :)

It wont hurt you that i may be somekind of moderator in hw section.
I think you need backup with hw, besides im soldering guy from age of 9 now im 31.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:52 pm

I think I'll be ok :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:55 am

Guys.... please began to moves some thread into the guides sections.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 am

Nikolas wrote:Like war was going on in there.

It was.... to some extent. :roll:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Nikolas » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:59 am

wongck wrote:Guys.... please began to moves some thread into the guides sections.

OK if guy wont let me be. Then im agree with this quote :cheers:

There are too many old topics wich are good and not as stickys. Atleast that we need.

War was going on who is better hardware person(who is better hw master to make money, and some wirtual respect), besides im really tired of this in my real life.

I got 2 Atari ST
P.S.

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 pm

There is certainly too much sticky thread there, which is not of wider interest, so best is to remove sticky flag on them.

"War was going on who is better hardware person(who is better hw master to make money, and some wirtual respect), besides im really tired of this in my real life." - I don't think that it is correct description of what happened - and myself too don't know exactly what everything happened. In any case my problem was to seeing too much absurd and incorrect claims in threads, mostly by one person here. Everyone can make mistakes, but when is complete unable to do some self reexamination and normal discussion, listening on reasonable arguments then it is very bad. And I don't know any other recently here, involved in HW discussions who makes money with some Atari related activities.
I hope that he will come back with better attitude and better knowledge. I know that most of people is not HW or SW expert, and can not judge who and wneh is right. But we have some hard and well known facts. Which can be even easy and fast checked, searched. I did not comment most of postings where saw incorrect things, just some - actually, some threads did not read at all - partially because of bad style. All it is pretty depressing, and Spiny will have not easy task with making HW sections better. Just to remind on one, with really absurd idea, which I never commented earlier: it was proposed that put FAT16 and FAT32 support in Satandisk (UltraSatan). Idea is in fact not entirely bad or impossible. Just complete irrealistic, because 2 things: 1st, filesystem is too complex for it. It handles a lot of operations as file creations, deletes, writings, must care about protectiong user's memory and a lot of things which go not together with sector transfers used by hard disk interfaces. 2-ond: filesystem is part of OS, and hard disks communicate with it on much lower level - only sectorwise transfers. Moving it in mass storage device would result with slower work, at price of enormous work to solve all it.

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”